Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Endless Ride and Morzine tips please.
  • Kramer
    Free Member

Hi there, new to the forum, and this is my first post.

I’ve finally bit the bullet, and booked my flights to Geneva for the beginning of July, was thinking of staying with the Endless Ride people, has anyone had any experience with them, what were they like?

Second question, how easy is it to find decent singletrack in Morzine (I know it’s there), by yourself? Is a guide essential?

Third question, I have a Scott Genius, with (hopefully) Formula ‘The One’ brakes, what tyre choices would people recommend? I’m more of a trail rider than a mad DHer, but I’ve heard that the cross country trails, especially the lift served ones, can be a bit gnarly, and tend to shred tyres. Are DH tubes a good idea?

Thanks, and apologies in advance, I’m sure these questions have been asked and answered many times before.

nickc

The Endlessride crew are fantastic, they’ll make sure you’ll have as good a time as it’s possible to have, you’ll have a blast. let Endless take care of all the guiding stuff, they know the place better than you can ever hope to. Having said that, the main stuff is all waymarked and easy to follow, but for the really good stuff, see above.

I’ve never made any changes to my bike set up to go to the Alps. Take any spares that are specific to the frame (mech hangers and the like) and make sure you have inner tubes, but it’s still just riding on dirt on hills, you know?

Saccades
    Free Member

I went with a mixed bag of a group, one of which bought a book with some routes, easy to follow and a great mixture of trails.

Scoot up the hills on the cablecars, then you can traverse away from the Dh folk before an excellent quiet descent. Then an hour of climbing to the top of another ace descent. TOns of stuff there for every level.

When i went I took the following as spares.

1x rear mech (I had heard it was stunning expensive, but was on a par with dublin).
    1x mechhanger.
    2x organic brake pads
    Minty arse lard (Excellent idea, as I wasn’t used to 5x 8 hour days in the saddle.

I did swop out the front tyre from a IRC 2.345 mudmad to a Highroller 2.35ST but left the back as a trailraker. This is on an XC blur – I was slower on the DH stuff obviously then the DH loons but at no point did I think it was going to die on me, or that it couldn’t cope.

It did have 8″ rotors front and back though, you might want to up the size of the front one, I’ve no idea about your brakes though tbh, and from what people tell me it depends on your braking style as the temp they get to.

neil853
    Free Member

The first time I went to the alps I went with endless ride and they were ace, really enjoyed my time with them. I’m going with another tour co this time but that was purely by chance. Me and a couple of mates are actually heading out on the 12th of july if you want to meet up with some people to ride with?

Spares wise i’m not going to mad, spare pads, tubes, mech hanger and thats about it. My bike already has large rotors (203mm) front and rear. I’m not going for DH specifically so i’m going to keep my current mountain king 2.4 protection’s on, I may look at some DH tyres out there but we’ll see.

If you are after routes check out the bikefax book for the area, we’ve bought it, looks goood and has a range of riding.

ed80
    Free Member

Another recommendation for endlessride from me. You’ll have a good time whatever but you’ll get more from it with them because they’ll help you find all the best stuff. They look after you really well too.

I’d just take tubes, brake pads and a mech hanger.

Stu_N

Yep, endlessride are great. Been out with them quite a few times. The whole guiding situation is a bit of a mess still in Morzine but Gareth is an approved MTB guide now and they can hook you up with French guides as well if you want.

If you don’t get guiding from them then they will at least mark up maps for you and show you how to find all the best stuff – it’s really no harder finding your way around out there than it is here, though the use of lifts kind-of upsets any thoughts about timing etc you may be used to. They also have pretty good workshop facilities if you do any damage to your kit.

Bike setup – basically as for here. Only things I have changed are tyres (not going for the lightest tyres possible – thick sidewall USTs or DH tubes aren’t a bad idea). Maybe a bigger front disc rotor too if you’re on 160s, and if you don’t have one already a QR seatclamp is a very good idea.

Spares – you can get most stuff in Morzine or Les Gets though it isn’t going to be a CRC prices. There are quite a few shops and they are all pretty well stocked – especially compared to how things were in 2003 when we first went. If you’re flying I’d just take bike specific things like a mech hanger, small/ light consumables like brake pads, and maybe a spare rear mech if you have one already.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Take plenty of euro’s for beer, and take it easy on the Mutzig at Bar Robinson……. 😛

xcstu
    Free Member

Off to Manzine 😉 sorry morzine…

Went with a gang of mates a few years ago….Didn’t use endlessride when we went… picked up a basic map and just explored, really can’t go wrong plenty of trails to go off if not into the full on downhill!

Took my santa cruz superlight still set up as a xc bike and did the downhills runs on it…. cause not as fast as the downhill boys but held my own haha…

Take some good quality tyres… I only used maxxis advantage and worked well! Parts… a must brake pads!! we had rain and pads just got eaten for fun! Most other parts if you have a crash etc can be picked up there!

Have fun you lucky b@st@rd 😉

simonb
    Free Member

I would take x2 rear Mech hangers just in case as they are easily damaged from crashes, rocks etc. I’ve broken mech hangers every single time I’ve been there 😳

andytherocketeer

welcome to stw

Anyone know how many of the lifts run during summer and which are “bike friendly” ?

Been there a few times skiing, and know the area pretty well in winter, but never been there in summer. PdS is currently top of the list for next year’s MTB jolly (of mostly XC trail variety rather than hardcore DH).

Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve got 180mm rotors, front and rear, with the Formula brakes, that should be enough.

The bike came with Nobby Nics as standard, but I’ve got a pair of Specialized enduros knocking around in the garage, think I’ll fit them and take some heavy duty tubes in case I pinch flat too often.

Point taken about the mech hanger, got two on order from my LBS.

Good to hear that Endless Ride are recommended, I’ve confirmed my booking with them today.

Thanks for the welcome and useful info.

Kramer
    Free Member

Oh, what’s Minty Arse Lard? 😳

Kramer
    Free Member

neil853, thanks for the offer, but I’m out the week prior to you guys.

neil853
    Free Member

no worries

xcstu
    Free Member

Kramer

You will have no worries with your bike… I ran 180 / 160 hope mono mini, flat bars, rock shox reba etc… can depend if your smooth or a big hitter on the trails?

nickc

Minty (it smells minty) arse (that’s where you put it) lard (it looks like…)

Kramer
    Free Member

xcstu – big hitter – I like it. I guess that’s what you’d call my riding style!

nickc – Excellent. I’ve got a sore arse today, shall have to get hold of some.

xcstu
    Free Member

Kramer haha… some of us float like a butterfly and other sting like a bee 😉 sure I’ve heard that before?

hopefully no crashes or snapping of anything for you!

have a goodn 😉

Kramer
    Free Member

xcstu some of us float like a brick. 🙄

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There are still ample lifts open to service the whole of the PduS. Best to get a map from lifts. Also the cross country stuff is reasonably easy to find as it’s all numbered again you can get a map from the tourish info centres. I’ve never been with a copmany as it’s really easy to find stuff.

endlessride
    Free Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence nickc – neil853 – ed80 – stu_n it’s really appreciated. Out riding tomorrow with our first guests of the season, I’ll take some photos and post them after.

erny
    Free Member

Another very happy endless ride customer,i’ve been with a few different companys in morzine and they are by far the best…As others have said get out with there guides as they will show you the best routes.

jammer
    Free Member

Another vote for endless. We stayed with the guys last year and had an excellent time.

A guide is worth it for at least a couple of the days to get the most out of the holiday. We went out with Gareth and had a great time.

Other than that, maybe downhill tyres or downhill inner tubes, spare inner tubes ( we met one guy who was on his forth flat of the day ), brake pads and mech hanger.

Ambrose

Butterfly stitches 🙁

endlessride
    Free Member

erny and jammer, cheers that’s two more stubbies I owe! Went out with our 2 guests today, magic, no one around and perfect weather.

A bit of a write up here

txr301
    Free Member

Oh bloody hell I can’t wait! It’s pictures like that which make me think I’ll end up riding singletrack even though I’m a downhiller.

🙂

Stu_N

Looks good, Gareth – but guests skipping a coffee stop, that’s deeply concerning! 5 weeks today, we’ll be in’t Alps. Can’t wait!

endlessride
    Free Member

Ha ha, that’s what Sian said when we dragged ourselves back into Morzine. If I as a better guide I would have made them stop ….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Endless Ride and Morzine tips please.’ is closed to new replies.