Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Employment dilemma.
  • Harry_the_Spider

A friend has been made redundant and has managed to secure a reasonable job but he has to accept it by Tuesday or the offer will be withdrawn. He is also in the running for a second job which pays more and is a better career step but he won’t know if he has it until Wednesday at the earliest. He has been assured that he is the prime candidate for the second job and the potential employer is doing his best to sort things out on Tuesday but it may not be possible.

What would you do? Take the banker and kick yourself if the other one comes off, or risk everything on the other one and potentially end up with nothing?

Your advice please.

Hopefully my friend will get a decent night’s sleep tonight as he the worry has been waking him up at 3:00am for the last two nights.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Take the banker and then take the other one if it’s offered.

Look after number 1. That’s what employers do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what DD said for sure.

stew1982
    Free Member

Yep – there’s little loyalty from Companies these days, so always think no.1 first! In this case it won’t make any difference really if you say yes Tues, and thanks, but I’ve had a better offer Wed. They’ll prob go for the other person, or re-advertise as they’d do Tues if he said no.

mogrim

What DD said, unless it’s a (very) small town and doing so would be risky long-term.

And I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it personally. Nice position to be in!

Junkyard
    Free Member

what DD said will the employer be having a dilemma?

TBH he has little choice but to accept that actual job offer what he does if he gets the second one is their choice. Tell them to get a good nights sleep and to worry on tuesday night 😉

grum
    Free Member

Yeah me too. Slightly shady but only slightly.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Take the banker & if the other job comes off then serves the banker company right for putting pressure on and giving your mate sleepless nights 😉 nice to be in that position in this climate on the flip side.

bassman
    Free Member

As above take the 1st one then take the 2nd if offered.
    As stated companies would dump you if they had a better option after the offer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bassman – Member
    As above take the 1st one then take the 2nd if offered.
    As stated companies would dump you if they had a better option after the offer.

I don’t think many would gazzump you, but enough seem happy to shaft you in other ways.

tails
    Free Member

hahaha! Best bit of advice ever on STW

Look after number 1. That’s what employers do.

Please advise him to do this, actually force him!

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, DD has it right. Easy choice IMO.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

What DD said.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do the honourable thing, I’d turn down the first and graciously accept the second, happy in the knowledge that I know when to twist and when to stick. Take the risk and live a little.

BigJohn

The Spanish economy is doing soooooo well, isn’t it don simon? I think we should all take your advice.

donsimon
    Free Member

The Spanish economy is doing soooooo well, isn’t it don simon? I think we should all take your advice.

WTF? 😯 I think you’re giving me a bit too much credit here.
    I do wish the slower boys would learn to keep up…

Northwind

It’d depend entirely on whether pissing off company 1 could impact on the job with company 2.

TheFlyingOx

There’s usually a 6-month probationary period when you take a job. That’s for your benefit as much as your employer’s. Take the first, then quit and take the second if it’s offered. I doubt there’ll be much fallout from a mere 24 hours of employment. There’ll be a 2nd choice candidate for the first job anyway.

Harry_the_Spider

My friend got the second job so he didn’t have to accept the first one only to knock it back.

I am delighted for me… er him.

😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah bollocks. I’d never had as many +1s.

🙂

Congrats though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Employment dilemma.’ is closed to new replies.