Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Employing people and Apprentices
  • josh1982
    Free Member

Wife has a business and currently has an apprentice. Just found out we need to be paying her a wage for 1 day a week whilst at college plus when she is working for us. Dont really want to do that so considering getting a part timer to actually do some work rather than training on the job.

Firstly, paying minimum wage what costs are on top of the £6.08min like paye and nat ins?

Secondly, should we just pay her to be at college?

cheers

TheBrick
    Free Member

Firstly, paying minimum wage what costs are on top of the £6.08min like paye and nat ins?

Secondly, should we just pay her to be at college?

So she is able to learn correct sentence structure.

tails
    Free Member

I’m not sure you have to pay interns as I see plenty of positions. The good thing with an apprentice is you can teach them “your” way. I don’t agree with not paying people for internships, but it may be worth a look if you want to go that route. No idea on pay.

crikey
    Free Member

You could always see it as an investment in someone, a chance to help someone become what they want to be rather than a purely financial transaction?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The only legal ways of not paying (i.e. Internships) are either as a genuine training position with day release etc, or if it is voluntary work in which case you cannot dictate working hours etc.

vinnyeh

Dont really want to do that so considering getting a part timer to actually do some work rather than training on the job.

Why did she take on an apprentice in the first place then? Aren’t there contractual obligations, or have those been phased out?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There has just been some legal decision IIRC on paying interns and the days of getting workers for free this way may well be limited.

I think costs to the employer are usually around 20% on top of the wages – NI, holiday pay and so on.

Who has told you you have to pay her at colledge? This need not be so I thought

However you need real advice on this as its a bit of a minefield. CBI / small business federation not give advice?

http://www.fsb.org.uk/

project
    Free Member

College is part of her working week,she is learning skills you cant teach her.

grantway
    Free Member

josh1982 – Member
    Wife has a business and currently has an apprentice. Just found out we need to be paying her a wage for 1 day a week whilst at college plus when she is working for us. Dont really want to do that so considering getting a part timer to actually do some work rather than training on the job.

What you have written peeves me off
    But you do get money from the Government for employing an Apprentice.
    The benefits of employing an apprentice to a part timer is worlds apart.
    Not going to go through the benefits as its obvious your blinded by cost.

But the part timer would not give two shits to the business.

totalshell

minimum for an apprentice is 105 pw thats it whether they are at college half a day or 4

josh1982
    Free Member

Thanks for the genuine pieces of advice there.

I am not purely seeing this as a financial transaction but giving an apprentice £105pw is more than my wife currently pays herself. We are a small business completing our 1st year this december. Our last apprentice went to work somewhere else after we had invested time, money and costs for additional training courses. The reason for her moving on was the distance from her home to place of work got to her after a few months.

My arguement against the Apprentice scheme is that the college seems to get everything.

College get funding from government.

We get a trainee who currently does bugger all but is getting better by the week. We have to pay out, currently dont get any grants or support. We have to train on the job and send on additional courses. All this and she could walk out at anytime.

This is why I was considering the costs of a part time employee.

Thanks,

project
    Free Member

You dont want an apprentice you want a slave, who will work part time doing a full weeks work it appears.

She could walk out at any time, and so could anyone who works for an employer, theyre NOT SLAVES, to owned and sold.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Playing devil’s advocate, if your wife is only able to take ~£5000 a year out of the business, do you need an apprentice?

amt27
    Free Member

but giving an apprentice £105pw is more than my wife currently pays herself.

this isn’t a viable business, I’m out

Junkyard
    Free Member

As you will need to pay the minimum wage someone PT at 21 will work for you for about 2 days per week for the same wage…they may leave to.
    I could help re apprentices etc but tbh you dont want help just place an advert and pay the minimum wage for the person you pick

Just found out we need to be paying her a wage for 1 day a week whilst at college plus when she is working for us

😯 ye gods that’s terrible you pay your staffs wages….disgusting.

onewheelgood

Last time I checked all our apprentices were people too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Employing people and Apprentices’ is closed to new replies.