Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Email experts (BT Connect account on O2 internet connection – outgoing mail :(
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Hi All,

Have a manager in a remote office, he is setup on our pop3 bt connect business account via outlook 2010.

all was working fine, however he has a new O2 internet account and hub (think he was on orange), incoming mail is fine but the outgoing is shot and all the mail is backing up!

Am i correct in saying the outgoing server needs to be smtp.o2.co.uk and the outgoing username and password has to be whatever O2 gave him when he set up the new acocunt?

cheers for any help.

leffeboy

oh well, experts much be out at lunch.

You shouldn’t need to use the o2 smtp server, the bt one should work if set up to authenticate the sender. The instructions are here from step 14 on.

..or I might be talking pants

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers, i just went onto the bt webchat (which was cr*p) they said “we cannot comment on o2 servers!” but i remember being told before bt block the use of outgoing on certain carriers. i think it was somehting to do with port 25 being restircted by carriers

i’ll check the link cheers

Cougar

Yeah, Leffe is correct I think.

Generically, to send outbound mail you either need to use your carrier’s server (O2) or have to authenticate to the mail provider’s (BT) server. Additionally, you might have further prerequisites depending on the ISP.

It’s possible that O2 are blocking some services / ports to stop you using third party mail servers, so you might not have any choice but to use O2’s server as you suggest. A number of ISPs do this, notably BT as you say, but I’m not aware of O2 doing it. If you want to use a different server and port 25 is blocked, using a secure connection may well bypass this (as the port changes) – but again, it’s dependent on what the email provider supports.

What SMTP server were you using back when it worked previously on Orange?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers,

when it was with orange it was mail.btconnect.com (smtp)

the guy got through to o2 and they said its a bt issue and got him to set up another inbox assocaited with o2.co.uk email.

so to re-cap normal work email when sent to him is coming into his normal inbox, but when he sends it goes from the o2.co.uk account.

this is cr*p though as when client get email from him it comes form cr*pusername:o2.co.uk

im sure i saw this problem few years back and you can pay a few quid an dhave a ghost sort of sever for outgoing mail and it does all the work for you.

huff!

Cougar

That’s bobbins.

The BT smtp should still work – it’s almost certainly already using authentication because it wouldn’t have worked with Orange otherwise.

Prime suspect would by O2 intentionally blocking it, then. You need to talk to someone with a clue to get them to stop it. Either that, or use a port other than 25. Should be as simple as ticking ‘secure connection’ or changing the port to 587. In fact, I’d try that first – put it back as it was and set the port to 587.

Requiring a new email account is absolute nonsense.

Cougar

Theoretically,

If you were to use O2’s server, you should be able do that. Again, the email account is irrelevant; you’d put the O2 login info into the server settings, NOT in the general email account.

Whether accidentally or intentionally, whoever you spoke to at O2 was flat wrong.

Cougar
    monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers guys, this is turning into a huge nightmare, its the managers fault for changing his internet provider without checking with us first,

oh dear… this should be fun!

boblo
    Free Member

I send tiscali.co.uk mail by using the o2 smtp server settings when using o2 transport (phone etc).

It’s really simple and works. Email me offline if you want the details.

leffeboy

Bleah. Blocking 25 is painful. Do as Cougar says and try 587, it sometimes works.

The alternative is to setup 2 email accounts in Outlook, both for the same email address. One uses the regular bt smtp server, the other use O2. When you set up the O2 one remember not to set the authenticate outgoing mail or it won’t work. Said manager then uses the O2 account when at home or the regular one elsewhere. This works fine but involves manager paying attention.

Or if you want to do it properly pay a fiver a month for an smtp proxy service and never need to think about it again

The O2 email solution is of course ‘bobbins’ 🙂

Cougar

Shouldn’t really need to do that. If you’re authenticating to the ‘foreign’ server, it should be connection-agnostic. Should.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Email experts (BT Connect account on O2 internet connection – outgoing mail :(’ is closed to new replies.