Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Elixir vs Juicy
  • jimmy

Was intending to buy some juicy 7s to replace those recently stolen. The guy suggested Elixir Rs as they’re cheaper, which indeed I see they are. So whats the difference? Any merit in buying Elixirs other than the price, or vice versa buying Juicys?

skinny
    Free Member

I use both and find the elixr’s are more powerfull and have a nicer lever feel.Also much easier to change the pads.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Have two pair of j7’s and elixir cr’s, and if theyre anything to go by, id have the elixirs anyday. Juicys seem to have stronger initial bite, but can be a bit grabby. Elixirs better modulation and more power overall. And lighter i think?

Pauly

The Elixir is the direct replacement for the Juicy which will only be available as on OE brake from now on (Juicy 3.5 which is a Juicy 3 caliper and Juicy 5 lever assembly). It’s a far better brake; more powerful and lighter. I’m hanging on for the Elixir Mag CR’s though. Due in July!

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Just bled my Juicy 5s tonight, 1st time I’ve done it. They seem really hard to work on compared to the Shimano Deore I have on the 2nd bike. The pad replacement is a pain in the ass.
    How do Elixir pad replacement work? I like the simplicity of just bolting them in place like the Deores.

james
    Free Member

Juicy pads become a lot easier to replace if you ditch the metal retention thing in the back of the caliper

The tension in the spring spider pad thing is enough to keep the pads up against the retention tabs on the pistons
    The only problem with that I’ve had is when the retention tab on the caliper snapped off after some goodridge pads went to the metal on a wet NYMoors ride

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Juicy pads become a lot easier to replace if you ditch the metal retention thing in the back of the caliper

Done, coz I couldn’t get them back in!

The only problem with that I’ve had is when the retention tab on the caliper snapped off after some goodridge pads went to the metal on a wet NYMoors ride

Could be a problem as thats where I do most of my riding! 🙄

mk1fan
    Free Member

Elixir R’s don’t have the Pad Contact Adjuster so are comparable to Juicy Five’s. It’s the Elixir CR’s that are equivilant to the Seven’s.

The Elixir’s are very powerful, more than the Juicy’s. I prefer the Juicy levers though. But the Elixir lever has a smaller profile that sits better with Shimano shifters.

You don’t need to remove the wheel to change the pads on the Elixir’s, which is a real functional improvement.

Adam@Homers
    Free Member

Elixirs – more power – less weight – same price (for 5’s vs R’s)
    No brainer!

james
    Free Member

“Could be a problem as thats where I do most of my riding! “

To be fair, I’d swapped pads in the alps to goodridge organics after the slither of superstar standard pads I had left lasted 4 days of very wet alpine riding, swapped to goodridge organics (thats what I took with me), discovred a crack in my frame almost straight after so didn’t ride them again until I got home and swapped all the bits to my HT frame. It took 1.5 wet rides to take them to the metal and spent the rest of the ride wearing through the backing plate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Elixir vs Juicy’ is closed to new replies.