Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Electronic music fans please rate my first effort
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

Installed Ableton last night and watched a few tutorials, got on the case this afternoon and came up with this, constructive criticism welcome, I’ll start you off with it’s too long – http://soundcloud.com/n00bzill4/thursday-afternoon

A few bits I’m not totally happy with but I’m not going to dwell on it, will get cracking on another.

chutney13
    Free Member

I think I like it. Will have a proper listen with some headphones tomorrow.

DezB
    Free Member

Headphones on now. Very cool.
    The bass should come in a minute earlier I reckon. Chop the minute out where the drums are a bit bare. Seeing as it’s a long track anyway 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

sounds like Bob Hoskins going mental in a dustbin

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The first thing my brother said was too long and too loopy but very good for a debut effort, I might chop it down a bit but I’m keen to get cracking on something else, have just got some nice VST plugins.

DJG that’s a good thing? Right?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, definitely the makings of something cool and about 6-7mins long there.
    Wish I was as metaphorical as Djg …

chewkw
    Free Member

In those days when I was into music I would avoid something like this like a plague because they were all so energy draining … yes, energy draining because you have to keep waiting for something exciting or new to happen and usually nothing happens … no hook to the tune at all.

Sorry but I am afraid it will be 2/10 for music … 8/10 for efforts.

Oh ya … you want to create music that people will go mental by putting a shotgun in their mouth, or go mental after listening to it or give them the energy while having a good time with the partner.

😮

mboy
    Free Member

Is it all loops, or have you used any software instruments in there?

Your brother is right, it is too long and loopy, but… For the kind of sound you’ve gone for here, you could easily make it into a still rather long track (say 8 mins or so) without it ever feeling like it gets repetitive.

Where have you got all your samples from?

Mixing wise, your bass is too muddy, and you’ve probably not got enough excitement in the mid-highs to the highs. Which to be fair, is the same mistakes everyone makes at their first attempts, so don’t worry about that. Do you use any kind of spectrum/frequency analyser at all? I’m not familiar with Ableton, but Logic has one built in which is very useful for helping you watch the frequencies.

Overall though, for a first effort, even if everything is just loops, based on the song structure and the fact you’ve got everything working quite well together in the mix, a solid 8/10 from me…

I’ve clicked to follow you on soundcloud, add me…

DezB
    Free Member

In those days when I was into music

Does not compute…

chewkw
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Does not compute..

I don’t listen to music anymore because most of them are shite.

athgray
    Free Member

I like it. I would be pretty chuffed if I had produced it. I don’t think it is overly long. I could chill out with a whisy to this. My only criticism is I don’t think the quiet bit at about 7 to 8 minutes sounds quite right. In the headphones you can hear the volume drop then it takes a jump down to silence. I do like the bass when it kicks back in though. Hope you consider that constructive. Can you do a Drum and Bass remix. Would be cool.

chutney13
    Free Member

this is nonsense on so many levels.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I quite like it, very chilled. If I were being ultra picky, I’d say the into was a teeny bit too long but then I’m not William Orbit.

In summary, not bad and would listen again.

plumber
    Free Member

Sound exactly like ableton to me

I do loads of that stuff too as its so easy in able ton

Not something I’d want people to hear but it’s good fun to do it anyway

bangaio
    Free Member

Not really my cup of “electronic tea” – musically it goes pretty much nowhere and is as has been said too long but for a first effort is good. Mixdown-wise, the base is muddy and is lost against the pad, it sounds like you have boosted some eq on it rather than cutting other sounds to give it space. Mixing is a fine art that I am happy to say I haven’t mastered myself but there is always much to learn.

Picky geek point – you have installed Live, ableton is the company not the software. I’ll get my coat and leave a link to
    my soundcloud page.

Just to add, I no longer use Live that much for production but am happy to offer tips if you want any. For mixdown tips check out this guy.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Thanks (almost) eveyone.

It is mainly loops, I’m really just learning my way around things, I realise there’s no real skill in that but I aim to learn and progress. If “I do loads of that stuff too as its so easy in able ton” in a few months time then I wouldn’t want anyone to hear it either. Tomorrow mapping my twitch and getting to grips with Sylenth and various effects and plugins. I couldn’t wait to get something down ‘on paper’ but I’ll be take much more time over future projects. Nice stuff Bangaio only had a brief listen but was very good. My thing is slower more musical but this thing kind of built itself.

bangaio
    Free Member

Thanks, if I am super bold I would say that your track isn’t especially musical, there is little progression or movement in the “music” and the loop based nature shows through – and I say this as a lover of non musical dance music, down tempo mellowness and also as a grade 8 classical trained musician.

spchantler
    Free Member

think of all that time you could be out on your bike…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I liked it but I am no musical authority.
    I have always liked electronic music.
    I have only one negative comment – the random clang in the early/mid section is a little odd.
    Otherwise I’d have it playing on a hot day while chilling in the shade (assuming we ever have sunshine again.)
    Keep practicing.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

The 30% youtube rule here applies to me im afraid. I skipped the first 30% to get to the interesting part.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

just had a listen with headphones, nice bass, i like it,i like the clangy almost offbeat drums near the start. but no new news about it being far too long.

Matt24k
    Free Member

As said by others it needs to go to more places. All the best electronica tracks have a strong hook, usually but not necessarily a sample, that they come back to. Think of it as a non verbal chorus and make your verses have complimentary but different elements. Good effort though.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Well I made another on Saturday that turned out like the Chromatics but even blander, but I’ve bought my brothers old Korg Kontrol which is making things much better all around, and todays instalment is this little number.

http://soundcloud.com/n00bzill4/oddball

No loops were harmed (used) in the making of this audio masterpiece. 😀

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Latest effort, quietly very pleased with this one 8)

http://soundcloud.com/n00bzill4/code-malfunction

sc-xc

chewkw – Member

[/url]
    Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 22.13.36 by santacruzxc, on Flickr[/img]

OMG sister. You are so right!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Haha that’s brilliant!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sounded pretty good to me. Bit long & repetitive but ok for a starter.

But there again, I’ve been listening to Tangerine Dream since 1970 something!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Here’s my latest one, a few other new ones on my soundcloud as well. Any constructive criticism (or praise) most welcome.

http://soundcloud.com/n00bzill4/despacer

I should have my little phatty on tuesday. 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Thought I’d update this and see what y’all think, have really got the bug now…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Electronic music fans please rate my first effort’ is closed to new replies.