Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Electro Synth Pop-Tastic thread… Help/Advice needed!
  • mboy
    Free Member

Been reading back through the following thread with a view to an essay I have to write for my degree…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/friday-night-tunes-synths

Anyway, I have to write a fairly sizeable Case Study on “The influence of someone or something in the field of Electronic Music”. I’ve been thinking of quite few ideas, but would like some feedback on what people who may know more about music from before my time (I’m 31, so would love to know a bit more from those that experienced any of it live), especially some of the guys that posted on that previous thread if you’re around… Anyway… My Shortlist so far is as follows…

-Prince
    -The Hacienda
    -Giorgio Moroder
    -Bob Moog
    -Goldie (probably specifically the Timeless Album)
    -Masters At Work

I was originally leaning towards the Hacienda, having just missed out on ever going by a year (I was 17 when it closed), and already knowing quite a bit about it (and 24hr Party People is one of my favourite films), but when I learnt that my lecturer, the guy marking this work, used to be a semi-resident DJ at the Hacienda, it has made me think twice as blatantly he’s gonna be mega tough marking that one! Also, I don’t want to do anything too big/vague, would rather be quite specific in my focus so I can go into some detail but without having to cover too much.

So… Feedback/help/advice greatly appreciated. Basically, what I’m after is who or what is going to prove the most interesting to me (beyond what I already know, which is more than most already though not tonnes) and provide me with the basis of a brilliant case study, in your opinion? Please, if you think anyone/anything I’ve not included on my shortlist is worthy, then by all means suggest them!

DezB
    Free Member

Got to be Kraftwerk, surely? Massive influence, fascinating I would’ve thought..
    or Tangerine Dream.I’d like to read that…

racefaceec90

what about the lady/gentleman who did the original doctor who special sound effects back in the 60’s.they actually created those sounds before the synth was invented (in some cases they designed their own sound effect making devices http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr08/articles/radiophonic.htm.
    also how about vince clarke.the guy is a legend as far as i’m concerned 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

Definitely KRAFTWERK I hear them everywhere in everything. I’d love to be in your position to delve into them properly. Don’t dismiss them just cos they’re german roadies! KRAFTWERK. end of thread.

all those you listed are influenced in some way from Kraftwerk. yes, I’m a bit of a fan 🙂 early breakdance? kraftwerk! can I write it for you?

listen to:
    Autobahn
    Trans Europe Express
    computer World
    Radio-activity

then you’ll get it.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Daphne Oram and Kraftwerk were the first that sprang to mind when I started reading your post. Both have already been mentioned as well.

*edit* BTW if Daphne Oram and her Oramics machine is of interest the Science Museum currently has an exhibition going. No idea if its any good though but might be interesting.

mboy
    Free Member

KRAFTWERK is too obvious, been done LOADS before apparently. And because of that, can be quite difficult to create an outstanding case study on them so I’ve been told.

what about the lady/gentleman who did the original doctor who special sound effects back in the 60’s.they actually created those sounds before the synth was invented (in some cases they designed their own sound effect making devices

Ron Grainer/Delia Derbyshire?

Don’t feel I know enough about them, or would remain interested enough, to be quite honest. Incredible though their achievements were though of course, I’ve found it hard to relate to anything pre-synth to be honest when learning about the music, as my mind doesn’t comprehend well the notion of there not being a keyboard to play to make a musical note!

Daphne Oram, didn’t know about her… Will have a read about her…

colournoise

MPC 60 (or even Fairlight) might be an interesting gear-based one to look at.

slainte 🙂 rob

weirdnumber
    Free Member

This was a piece on Radio 3 (I think) from a couple of years back on Daphne Oram.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNaqvAH7R34[/video]

grahamb
    Free Member

For the 70’s German sound i’d go for Connie Plank.
    For 80’s UK sound, Daniel Miller.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Perhaps John Carpenter then? Influential in modern music while also influencing electronic music in film?

I guess it has to be someone or something you are interested in and then you determine how influential it is, and the scale of influence is perhaps less important than being able to articulate what and why they were influential to those they were.

You could probably choose Boards of Canada if you had enough enthusiasm for them and write a good piece even if you don’t get to say “He invented the Moog! Enough said!” 😉

sputnik
    Free Member

Brian Eno
    Robert Fripp
    Ps I’m a massive Kraftwerk fan, been since I was 11, 43 this year.

user-removed
    Free Member

Was scrolling down thinking, Brian Eno. Brian Eno. Brian Eno? BRIAN ENO! Then Sputnik said it 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Jean Michelle Jarre? Human League? 🙂
    Noisia do some amazing sound design/synth programming, but I don’t know how much influence they have had on others. They do design presets for synths/plugins etc.

Kevevs
    Free Member

just dig up more on kraftwerk. I’m not going to stop on the kraftwerk thing. some great calls on Brian eno and BBC lady, Go older then.. the soundtrack to Forbidden planet bebe and louis barron.

edit: you just looking for an 80’s synthesizer bod it seems..
    take your pick. Better thread would be.. “who epitomises this particular synthesizer..”

mboy
    Free Member

Good call on Brian Eno, he’s a possibility…

Again, Kraftwerk just too obvious. Also whilst they were way ahead of their time, their music doesn’t really do much for me unlike many many others I can think of that have also been influential.

I guess it has to be someone or something you are interested in and then you determine how influential it is, and the scale of influence is perhaps less important than being able to articulate what and why they were influential to those they were.

Just because I think someone/something is massively influential, doesn’t mean to say they are influential enough to fit the criteria. I originally wanted to do Armand Van Helden, but my lecturer said on his own he’s probably not influential enough, but if I wanted to do study the New York House Producers (him, Todd Terry, MAW etc.) influence on the scene in general then that may be better. It has to interest me enough, but also it has to be universally recognised (not just be me) as being highly influential.

The Barron’s again maybe, but I knew nothing of them until a couple of weeks ago. I’d rather do something I at least know a small amount before hand, so I know they are likely to maintain my interest. I’d likely to Pierre Schaeffer or Karlheinz Stockhausen, or even Leon Theremin before the Barrons to be fair, but again, though massively influential, I’m not sure I could really get enthusiastic enough about them.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it’s down to you then!
    I saw a docu on Eno where he described the tape loop processes he used and his early stuff is defo experimental, accidental and creative in it’s nature. I’d be looking for experimental creativity to write about rather than someone on a bandwagon doing someone elses stuff I guess.

mboy
    Free Member

you just looking for an 80’s synthesizer bod it seems..

FAR from it…

I’d really love to write about Bob Moog, but I think I’d have to select such a small section of his work (as he has done and created so much), I’d still be missing out on so much. Might be good to focus on just the Minimoog though maybe?

Moroder is there cos he was so influential moving Disco from the live Orchestra’s to being fully synthesized, and for creating those crazily repetitive yet madly catching arpeggiated basslines. Also, cos he did quite a lot of film work too, and did the soundtracks to 2 of my fave films of all time (Scarface and Top Gun).

Prince… Well he’s just a midget sized genius! It’s hard to think of pop musicians these days that he hasn’t influenced in some way, the way he changed the game with things like reverb, and the crazy amount of swing he used to humanise the music, was very influential.

It’s far from being all about the 80’s synth bods… Otherwise I’d probably do Gary Numan, though someone else on the course is already writing about him anyway.

mboy
    Free Member

it’s down to you then!

Haha, I know that! I’m after more opinions and suggestions, and this has been very useful as some good ones have come up…

Kevevs
    Free Member

scarface soundtrack. The whole film. I can’t explain why this is so good and influential to my younger friends 🙁

you know what you’re after, you’re looking for contemporary obscure I think, not the obvious. there must be a geeky electro synth pop forum somewhere..

you could do a small band like ladytron, and do a cynical trace back their whole sonic career to the electronic year dot. cos they are very retro sounding.

doh
    Free Member

Walter carlos with clockwork orange soundtrack

corroded
    Free Member

If Kraftwerk is too obvious, how about Manuel Gottsching, composer of E2-E4? Another German genius whose influence is all over house music: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E2-E4 (you’ll recognise the tune). Or, in the UK, A Guy Called Gerald?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUiA0UOKIlc[/video]

corroded
    Free Member

It would also be interesting to look at the effect (good and bad; bad mostly) MIDI has had on popular music. Jaron Lanier has a good riff on it in You Are Not a Gadget.

BTW, what kind of degree lets you listening to house music all day?!

ianv
    Free Member

What about jeff mills or mike banks (underground resistance). Banks is a really influential and interesting character.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

To my eyes goldie seems out of place on your list. I’d like to see the bob moog one. Or pet shop boys. My wife and I were talking the other day about how influential they were in a quite subtle way. More in terms of electronic culture than sound, likewise erasure. Although we both accept that this is probably due to our age and them being the most visible entry into electronic music.
    It’s a nice choice to be making for a degree.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

To be honest, I’d be more inclined to look at something geeky – like the influence of Genesis P’orridge or Pete Christoperson on the early electronic music scene.

donsimon
    Free Member

http://www.klaus-schulze.com/ or Rick Wakeman.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRQdSmKMaIk[/video]

nick3216
    Free Member

gotta be the DMX or 808

passtherizla
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HROMVIHGpLE[/video]

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Going a bit leftfield how about the SID-soundchip from the commodore 64? Its quietly become quite common across a whole range of electronic artists to either use a sidstation or direct sample/sid-style sounds. You could widen it out to accommodate the rise of chip-tune and other subgenres using outdated gaming hardware. Very ‘on trend’ !

beej

Fairlight CMI? Mellotron?

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Could you go a little abstract and focus on something like pirate radio in London and its influence on modern electronic music, Garage, DnD, Grime and recently the part it played in leading the emergence of Dubstep which has subsequently become very popular and its styles that can be heard in everything now.

sputnik
    Free Member

MrSynthpop’s idea sounds brilliant.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Definitely Fairlight, principally because they’ve just released an anniversary model so you could bookend the essay nicely whilst padding out the middle a bit with a bit of background about where they went after their original sampler. Because lets face it, the sampler was the cornerstone of so many home studios. The explosion of electronic music for me was down to the fact that by the early 90’s anyone with a few grand spare could, with a sampler and an imagination, really create for the first time.

christofalus
    Free Member

+1 for the Belleville Three – or perhaps a more in general ‘the detroit influence’.
    or
    the roland 303, 808 & 909
    or
    Chicagos influence – Trax records and Frankie knuckles etc (who now has a street named after him in Chicago thanks to Barack Obama)

E2-E4 is currently available from sounds of the universe records in London – all 58 minutes of it

The Synthbritannia documentary is worth seeking out and the ‘history of electronic music’ podcasts are well worth a listen.

Your essay is far more interesting than the ones I had to write for my Chemistry degree.
    The influence of Chemistry on Electronic music could have been an interesting essay.

julianwilson
    Free Member

How ‘distant’ past do you need? IME, aphex twin did some crazy things with synths in terms of rewiring/twiddling about with them to make sounds that you couldn’t otherwise achieve.

Whereas Vince Clarke (don’t laugh!) was a master of just making fabulous arrangements of more readily available synth sounds that he could play on stage ‘live’ but that were both complex and hard for other people to reproduce (at the time!), but very pleasing to the ‘pop’ ear.

Also old Nine inch Nails also not pop, but great use of eletronix for the times those records were made in IME.

grahamb
    Free Member

If you’re going to include people who designed influential hardware you have to include Peter Zinovieff. Most great electronic albums of the 70’s featured an EMS synth. There’s a fascinating interview with him at the Red Bull Academy

Also William Burroughs who was a heavy influence behind cut up & loop music.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

This is great! I would absolutely love to be in your shoes and write about music!
    Some of the guys above beat me to it, but I think writing about Detroit Techno would be interesting. I would slant towards Carl Craig(huge fan) as he is such a influential talent across a broad spectrum of genres(straight up techno, Drum and Bass, Electronica, and even jazz with his Detroit experiment stuff)
    Or your other option of MAW. Again lots of history that you can delve back into(the whole latin/Puerto Rican jazz stuff etc.) Interesting stuff.
    On a different tip that nobody has mentioned, what about Suicide? Hugely influential and not greatly known until many years later.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Go really in depth on the development of the Fairlight CMI. Hardware and software, prototypes etc and then append with stories from the original big hitter users like Peter Gabriel and Vince Clarke.

deluded
    Free Member

Agree that Vince Clarke should need to be referenced.

The transition of Joy Division to New Order.

The most successful synth band are Depeche Mode who have had a massive influence on that genre of music and electronica in general like Trance/Ambient, EBM, Industrial etc.

Jean Michel Jarre also an important experimenter with synth sounds during the late 70’s early 80’s.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Electro Synth Pop-Tastic thread… Help/Advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.