Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Electricians…help please! My RCD keeps tripping on ring one. Thanks
  • paulwatts
    Free Member

Not into electrics and l probably must have a sparks to check it out.
    Just thought l’d try and get advice from you clever guys before spending out!

Its only a small bungalow with 6 sockets on ring 1, 32A on a Crabtree consumer box, about 25 years old.
    l have unplugged most of the units but it keeps blowing. Each time it stays on for 5mins or 30 mins.

Any ideas [after Top Gear !!] ??

THANK YOU.

RustyMac

have you done any decorating or diy recently?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Remove all appliances from those sockets and try again.

Often its a busted appliance

somafunk

l have unplugged most of the units but it keeps blowing

Unplug everything on the ringmain, if it still blows and you feel confident then trip the rcd/switch off and use a test light or multimeter to check it is off on each socket, unscrew the sockets and inspect, make sure all the wiring is secure and intact, refit and try again.

Do you have mice?, they love wiring?

paulwatts
    Free Member

Thanks guys…I’ll try all that.
    Yes maybe vermin, live near trees etc.

saladdodger
    Free Member

is it a single rcd to protect the whole house

or is it a combined 32a 0.030 / 30ma rcbo

Yes there is a difference if the rcd trips do you loose all power in the house?

please advise so I give the right advice

paulwatts
    Free Member

Cheers salladdodger…
    its a combined unit 3x36A and 2x6A.

I unplugged all the sockets, retripped ring1.
    10 mins later, l saw a socket flash!

Eurica! The fault must be behind there. I need to move some heavy stuff, so I’ll have a look behind the socket in the morning.

I’m closing in with your help. Thanks again!
    Paul

somafunk

A breakdown in socket insulation ^ , have you ever plugged in a portable electric fire or an appliance that has a heavy current draw into that socket?, if it is an old socket it may have been exposed to a high current draw over an extended period at some point leading to heating up/cooling down/heating up/cooling down over time thus causing a fault in the socket insulation which is otherwise known as a breakdown voltage fault.

paulwatts
    Free Member

Thanks somafunk. Yes maybe the reason. Thanks for the explanation. You live and learn!

>socket replaced
    >problem solved!!

THANK YOU ALL!

Closed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Electricians…help please! My RCD keeps tripping on ring one. Thanks’ is closed to new replies.