Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Electric Guitars, how do you practice.
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lucky you, no need to be smug about it.

Not being smug, simply pointing out that tinnitus isn't an automatic reaction to loud noise. 😕

grumm
    Free Member

Not being smug, simply pointing out that tinnitus isn't an automatic reaction to loud noise.

No but it's a pretty common one, and once done is completely irreversible, and therefore it pays to be sensible. 🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough, I understand what you are saying, but this kid won't turn his volume down, so what makes anyone think he would accept further steps to protect his hearing. So what does the parent do – take the guitar away?

I personally think that to treat a 14 yr old like a 4 yr old is not going to help the father one bit so let him get on with his life and let him grow up (obviously there still has to be sensible house rules).

plumber
    Free Member

I used to play in a rehearsal room with a guy who used 2 amps – 30 watts each flat out – at ankle height – it was stupid loud and I used to wear isolating headphones for any time in that room, he said I was gay so I pointed my 450 watt PA speaker at his head, he was deaf for 3 weeks. Knob!
    He never did turn down but I left the band for the sake of my hearing.

My hearing is not good and I've never cranked an amp in my life nor used walkmans that much either.

MF – I think if you had your hearing checked you'd find you are missing quite a lot more that you suspect.

Plum

With todays technology there is absolutley no need for more than a 5 watt tube amp ever. I have just got a new Blackstar HT5 – it is also stupid loud for bedroom practice. I think I'll get rid of it

robdob
    Free Member

To the OP, simple problem really. If son won't stop playing when it will be a nuisance and won't abide by your quite reasonable rules, then guitar and amp are put on eBay for 99p. End of story. I don't care how awkward or unreasonable a 14yo can be, it's your house, your rules.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – I think if you had your hearing checked you'd find you are missing quite a lot more that you suspect.

Possibly, possibly not. It certainly never presents as a problem and I certainly don't have tinnitus though. And any degradation in hearing could equally be down to my age and not loud noise.

beanum

If a Line6 POD solution is too expensive, the VOX Amplugs don't sound too shabby. Much better than the 'phone socket on am amp anyways…
    VOX AmPlug

stratobiker
    Free Member
    Northwind

Maybe I missed it, but what amp is it? Many have clever ways to reduce the output, or proper headphone outs, etc.

john_drummer
    Free Member

unlikely to see a headphone out on a 100W jobbie

Northwind

Nah, not really. Depends on the amp like I say, lots of the valvestate ones have power stepping modes and half-decent headphone outs. Or did, at least, last time I was looking to buy an amp. And even my old valve Trace Elliot had various options to power it down. Just as well really…

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Electric Guitars, how do you practice.’ is closed to new replies.