Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • El Guapo 29er – Anybody?
  • scandal42
    Free Member

In the early stages of looking at possible replacements for my 456c (not just yet)

Wasn’t looking at the El Guapo as such but noticed it’s a bit of a steal at £1200 with a pike fork and half decent wheelset (£399 frame and shock 😯 ) . Doesn’t seem to be much touching that.

Anyone on here ride one? just scoping out at the moment but it looks a great bike for the cash.

The 26er seems to get extremely positive comments from owners.

Northwind

Isn’t that the one with enough rear wheel clearance for a road tyre?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Yes I thought I’d read somewhere (poss here) that someone had messed up big time with rear wheel clearance on the 29er.

scandal42
    Free Member

I have read in various other threads that 2.35 was no issue. The 2.1 was a very conservative estimate.

The builds they offer include Gato 2.35 and Smorgs on a 23mm rim, so must be better than 2.1?

CheesybeanZ

I think there’s a thread on MTBR ref rear tyre clearance .

higgo
    Free Member

I have one. Ridden it four times now and enjoying it. Rear tyre clearance is not an issue. As above, mine was supplied with the 2.35 Gato and has room for bigger. The pics on MTBR are mine (unless there’s another thread).

This is on the TL28 rim…

higgo
    Free Member

p.s. I also had a 456c (which was stolen). I replaced that with an on*one Parkwood which is obviously closer to the 456 being a HT. The Parkwood is certainly worth considering too.

scandal42
    Free Member

Super, thanks higgo.

How do you find the bike overall? Any issues or drawbacks, climbing etc?

kevin1911

May I ask where you’re seeing it for 1200? Seems to be 1499 as far as I can see?

kevin1911

Found it now. That is very good value. Must Resist

Edit: unclear if it comes with a monarch rt or rc3. ThE waffle and the spec seenm to disagree.

higgo
    Free Member

Kevin – the shock on mine is a Monarch Plus RC3.

‘scandal’ – no issues/downsides as such but it is a noticeably long bike. That’s a plus when gunning it down straightish, rocky stuff but takes a bit more riding in very twisty stuff.

I’m not sure I’ve got it set up quite right yet – I think I need a tad more pressure in the shock and a tad less in the fork. Also, I think I might need a bit more rise than the very flat bars I ordered it with. But all that’s tuneable.

I went for the £1200 build so the main compromises are the crankset, gears and brakes. All have performed flawlessly (four whole rides!).

johnnystorm

Could we have a full photo of your Super Raw Guapo please Higgo? 😀

scandal42
    Free Member

Agreed Johnny

higgo
    Free Member

johnnystorm

Cheers. Looks great. Shame I live in Suffolk, it’s hard to justify getting one… 😥

zippykona

I’m no expert but is higgos mech ok ?

scandal42
    Free Member

Nice looking bike that.

Is that the only method for routing the dropper cable?

scandal42
    Free Member

Anybody else got any experience with these?

Doesn’t seem to be much floating around t’interweb at all.

Have you got to be a beast of a man to even think about it?

Rickos
    Free Member

Bump. Interested in frame option. Any other riders with views? Chain stays seem uber long, but then the Stumpy has long stays and that’s raved about.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    I’m no expert but is higgos mech ok ?

That doesn’t look good under compression…. 😯

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘El Guapo 29er – Anybody?’ is closed to new replies.