• This topic has 48 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Stu.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Edinburgh – Wednesday Night Ride
  • grantmccall63
    Free Member

Anyone up for a trip to Innerleithen or Glentress this Wednesday ?

6:30/7pm start.

Northwind

I think I could be up for that, yes

ojom
    Free Member

Would love to but going to see Bon jovi. Yep you heard me.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Wed night sounds good! Havent been out on one for ages.

I can drive and got room for 2 more bikes on the back.

Northwind

Hell yeah TBC. I’m a cowboy, on a carbon fibre horse I ride…

In theory I ought to be able to do 1 other person, from the west side of Edinburgh… In practice that person will need to be fairly accepting of worrying mechanical noises and an increased probability of a wheel falling off

Any preference of where? Always think GT makes a better night ride but I’m up for either.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Whatwould you guys be riding on Wednesday?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hi cfinnimore – welcome.

“What would we be riding?”

If you mean in Innerleithen, I would suspect the XC route, unless someone comes along to suggest otherwise.

If you mean in GT – usually it’s a mix of the red and blue.

Either way we usually arrive around 7, finish 9.30 ish.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Sounds good to me, will confirm tomorrow but if it’s a yes can easily fit one more bike and rider in, maybe two at a push.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Forecast is suggesting it will clear up tomorrow afternoon/night. Let’s go for a 7pm start at Glentress leaving from the lower (lower) car park. I will be leaving around 6pm from Gilmore Place and have room for 1/2 people/bikes.

Email me on grantmccall63@gmail.com to arrange to hook up.

See you tomorrow.

Will we need lights ?

Northwind

7pm at Glentress sounds grand to me. Anyone wanting a lift from the Currie end of town can give me a ring on 07796 896173, though, if the weather’s looking evil I reserve the right to bail 😉

As for lights- don’t think we should need them but I’m bringing mine, group rides are a bit more vulnerable to delay.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have to work 🙁

bawbag
    Free Member

I’m up for a ride if I can cadge a lift from someone. Anyone near gogarburn/gyle area? Northwind, I could meet you in currie, its a 30 min cycle from gogar isn’t it?

Heavy rain might also put me off, I heard enough brake squeal this evening to last me a while.

Northwind

I could pick you up no bother from Gyle-ish, drop us a text or an email with your details and we can sort it out.

JamieMc
    Free Member

I may tag along guys. Im a peebles local. What cars/bikes should i be keeping an eye out for if im at the carpark at 7

stevemtb
    Free Member

Right, to try and lift the Tuesday blues (which have run over from yesterday) I’ll commit to this (DISCLAIMER – this is based on the forecast of it clearing up!).

Will be leaving from Gorgie, probably around 6. Presuming the lower (lower) carpark is the first one you come to? I’ll be driving a blue Mondeo ST.

Give me a shout (either on this thread or email) if anyone wants a lift. Not a problem for me to swing by the Gyle if it’s out of your way Northwind.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ll see you guys there then – I’ll be in a blue Primera.

If anyone wants a lift from North Edinburgh – my email is in my profile.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Will pop along if I can cobble my dismantled bike together in time!

grantmccall63
    Free Member

I’ll be there, Silver Vectra….yes first car park…… offer still there for lift from Tollcross area …. 0781 644 4084

DougD

Would it be possible to tag along? Would need a lift though, live in Marchmont but happy to meet elsewhere to suit people.

Doug

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

DougD – I’m sure you’d be most welcome. I think Grant is nearish to you (details above) and if that doesnt work out then I can head out via Marchmont.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Doug, call me 0781 644 4084…Grant

DougD

couldashouldawoulda thanks for the offer, just gave Grant a call and he’s able to give me a lift

Stu

Me and 13thFM will be at the shoppe at 7 as usual if anyone else fancies a Pentlands slopfest. 😕

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m thinking about heading up into the Pentlands so will keep an eye out – not heading over to the shop though, more likely I’ll head up to Maidens from Balerno. I think the Hervelos are due to be up in the Pentlands tonight as well.

bigjim

I miiiight head up Pentlands, pretty bushed today though.

13thfloormonk

I’m sore and full of curry so will not be suggesting quite as much climbing as last time.

Wether anyone else suggests it is another matter of course…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think I’m just going to do an easy lap over Maidens then back via Green Cleugh to see how the weekends STW trailbuilding work is coping with the rain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

report back will you epicsteve – ta

13thfloormonk

Its already had to cope with a mini off road triathlon last night, reports of lots of standing water but they were rather non-specific…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Which bit was it exactly? Was it the first dip coming from Bavelaw Castle or the 2nd dip?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

2nd – between the two gates. nt 175 624 aprrox

bigjim

you can’t miss it – look for the piles of mud!

ChrisL

Which bit was it exactly? Was it the first dip coming from Bavelaw Castle or the 2nd dip?

Umm, in the section between the gate at the bottom of the path up to Black Hill and the next gate towards Bavelaw Castle. So probably not the first dip you’re thinking of.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Ah ok – think I know where you are. If it’s where I’m now thinking it is then I nearly had an over-the-bars incident plowing into what I thought was a shallow muddy bit (but wasn’t!) during the winter.

Previously I was thinking it was the bit that floods that’s in the first dip that you get to when heading from Bavelaw Castle into Green Cleugh.

Northwind

OK, I propose a motion… That for future glentress rides we nominate a slow rider and make them go in front up the climb, so I don’t explode my legs in the first 30 minutes of the ride. All those in favour?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Aye!

The first two climbs were crazy, seemed to be a race to see who could burn out first!! Glad it evened out a bit after that as I seriously suspected I was going to get left behind.

Great fun though, been a while since I got out on a relaxed ride with the wheels off the ground a fair bit!

Good to meet you all.
    Steve

bawbag
    Free Member

Great fun last night. Cheers to Stevemtb and northwind for lifts.

will have to do it again soon.

Chris

Stu

Pentlands wasn’t too bad either – bit damp as expected but still good slippery fun!

bigjim

I couldn’t have got back in time to go up pentlands anyway but it looked a bit dreich anyway, how many turned out?

13thfloormonk

2 😀

All good fun though, although I started to notice how bad I smelt when standing in the chippy, I think there was more than just mud in some of those puddles 😕

Novelty of having an Aspen tyre on the front in the wet is starting to wear off though, big bars or not its sometimes a little tricky trying to find the edge of the tyre when slipping sideways round another corner…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh – Wednesday Night Ride’ is closed to new replies.