Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Edinburgh seafood restaurants? Recommendation needed…
  • squarewheels
    Free Member

Can any of you Edinburgh-types recommend me a sea food restaurant?

Ideally it would be cosy, reasonably informal and with a good reputation.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Unfortunately the ones I know have changed cooks since I last went.

there are several in leith but I can’t honestly reccomend one – sorry fishers is one, a place in leith ( Tom Kitchens new place), the shore bar has always been good.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Not exclusively a seafood restaurant, but First Coast on Dalry Road is highly recommended.

Great food, very friendly and informal.

GrahamS
    donald
    Free Member

Fishers has been excellent both times I’ve been.
    Has it changed hands recently TJ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sweet Melinda’s is fantastic IMO though not exclusively sea food.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Donald – new cook but a while ago I think. Its a couple of years since I have been there hence I won’t recommend it – but anytime I have been its been very good

Pippin
    Free Member

second for the mussel inn

squarewheels
    Free Member

Nice, thanks, some good suggestions there. Much appreciated.

jimmy

The Ship on the Shore in Leith. Was there last Friday and worrylingy thought “If anyone on STW ever asks for a seafood restaurant I’ve got this little baby up my sleeve”.

Informal, good fishy food, good service etc etc.

ml
    Free Member

I would second and even third First Coast. As stuartie_c said, no exclusively fish, but it meets your other criteria very well. I’ve never been that impressed by Fishers, despite being reassured by others…

markd
    Free Member

There is a good chippy in port seton.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Alright Steve (I think it’s you). I’m sitting here with a Basque girl who lived in Edinburgh for many years, they know a bit about fish out here! She says that the best for what you’re asking for is the Kings Wark just in Leith, the resteraunt part. She says the fish is very good quality and fresh. The other one is called Sweet Melindas in Marchmont which is very small (4-5) tables.

You can pop into The Shore for drinks before / after which is cool.

Tom Kitchiner’s place (Kitchin) is very expensive although it’s very good and isn’t cosy. She’s not a fan of the ship on the shore because last time she was there the quality wasn’t that good although the chef changes a lot.

jimmy

Get to Ship on the Shore before the chef changes! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sweet Melindas isn’t that small.

cyclechic
    Free Member

Mussel Inn is simply devine, and it’s informal. Been a few years since I was last there, but a great place!

AntM
    Free Member

Try “Loch Fyne” in Newhaven, not been yet but does have a good rep’

markd
    Free Member

Melindas is good as Al says. Its quite near me too so you can come and say hello!

Northwind

It’s a while since we’ve been but the last time I was at Loch Fyne in Newhaven harbour was one of the best restaurant meals I’ve had in my life. I don’t think everyone was so delighted to be fair but mine was nigh godly.

markd
    Free Member

i had fish n chips in the Loch Fyne

it were a small portion but really good.

hora
    Free Member

Not Fish restaurant (soreeee) but whats that cracking small Chinese restaurant called? (Mr’ something?).

doug_basqueMTB.com

Like I say, never been but that’s what my g/f told me. She can exagerate sometimes! She still insists it’s tiny though.

Garry_Lager

I was in a place in Leith last week and it was really good – exceptional meal / atmosphere and not especially expensive (esp if you byob). Not a specific seafood restaurant though as I remember. Good alehouse on site.

Been in The Kitchin earlier this year – top drawer Michelin star dining in terms of the food. The interior of the restaurant, though, is really average. Sort of jars with the quality of the food. Still recommended if you want to push the boat out. Personally I didn’t mind spending money on the food – £30 for a main course from Tom Kitchin is nae bother for a special occasion. I kind of balked at the wine list though.

Martin Wishart’s has always been recommended to me as the best seafood restaurant in Edinburgh, it’s another Michelin starred affair. I’ve never eaten there myself though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh seafood restaurants? Recommendation needed…’ is closed to new replies.