Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Edinburgh biking
  • hairyneep
    Free Member

I’m going to be spending this week in Edinburgh (near Murrayfield) and I’m looking for some biking within cycling distance of the hotel, is Arthurs Seat any good?

Any suggestions? Just looking for something to keep me out of the pub for a bit

Thanks

gecko76

Arthur’s Seat is out of bounds to bikes, can’t remember why exactly.

Murrayfield’s not far from the canal, which gets you onto the Water of Leith. Up there to Balerno and the Pentlands.

I’m Murrayfield meself. If it’s evenings I could show you a bit, or sure others will be happy to. Costorphine Hill’s also got some stuff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes Arthurs seat is not legal to ride

Plenty in pentlands. You can be there in 30m

stuartm555
    Free Member

corstorphine woods is right beside murrayfield – not very big but lots of fun!

turneround

weird, i was going to post the same question, im in Ed for next week and was wondering if i should bring the road bike or mtb?

billybob
    Free Member

I thought you could ride everywhere in Scotland? How come Arthur’s seat is out of bounds?

cynic-al
    Free Member

it’s the Queens park and subject to special law.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As the others have said – pick up the water of leith path beside Murreyfield ride out on that to the pentlands. ( best IMO to go up the steps onto the canal as you cross it then back off the canal after 1/2 mile. scotroute.com has a google earth overlay of pentlands paths – nothing very exciting but some nice singletrack. its best if you have someone to show you where the best bits are tho – even if they are all on that overlay.

Corstorphine hill has some fun bits on it. Again local knowledge helps

druidh
    Free Member

The GE overlay is, err, offline for the moment. However, if you want to email me, I could either send it to you or perhaps suggest a couple of routes for you. It’s light until around 8 these evenings, so a trip to/from the Pentlands could even be fitted in after work.

As for Arthurs Seat/Queens Park, whether or not it’s acceptable to cycle there is in doubt. I’ve asked both the Rangers and Historic Scotland to provide me with (a link to) the relevant legislation and so far they’ve both declined. If it was that clear cut, I’m sure they’d be able to. I think we need a test case – I thought TJ had volunteered for this?

poly
    Free Member

Druidh,

When you say H.S. / Their rangers have not provided you with a “link” to the legislation:

(1) did you make your request in writing (or by email)
    (2) did you make is more than 21 working days ago?
    (3) have they replied?

Did you specifically request a hyperlink – or simply a copy of the legislation, or details of which legislation?

Its obviously not possible for them to provide a hyperlink if the relevant legislation is not published on-line. Just because information is not on the web does not make it less valid!

I’m not sure if they can legally supply you with a photocopy of the legislation either – since it is probably crown copyright – but they should be able to tell you how to obtain a copy from e.g. HMSO.

I believe you will find that the law you are seeking is:

The Holyrood Park Regulations 1971 (as amended).

These regulations were made under the Parks Regulations (Amendment) Act 1926 which you can read here: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1926/cukpga_19260036_en_1

I would expect copies of the current Holyrood Park Regulations to be displayed on notice boards in the park itself.

hairyneep
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Just arrived. Going to try Corstorphine Hill tomorrow and maybe the Pentlands later on in the week.

Thanks again

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hairyneep – want a (slow) guide? e mail me on Jeremy.pascoe@btinternet.com if you do – I need an excuse to get out more often 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

poly – Member

Druidh,

When you say H.S. / Their rangers have not provided you with a “link” to the legislation:

(1) did you make your request in writing (or by email)
    (2) did you make is more than 21 working days ago?
    (3) have they replied?

Did you specifically request a hyperlink – or simply a copy of the legislation, or details of which legislation?

Its obviously not possible for them to provide a hyperlink if the relevant legislation is not published on-line. Just because information is not on the web does not make it less valid!

I’m not sure if they can legally supply you with a photocopy of the legislation either – since it is probably crown copyright – but they should be able to tell you how to obtain a copy from e.g. HMSO.

I believe you will find that the law you are seeking is:

The Holyrood Park Regulations 1971 (as amended).

These regulations were made under the Parks Regulations (Amendment) Act 1926 which you can read here: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1926/cukpga_19260036_en_1

I would expect copies of the current Holyrood Park Regulations to be displayed on notice boards in the park itself.

(1) Request was by email
    (2) It was several months ago
    (3) The emailed reply was “current Holyrood Park Regulations are displayed on notice boards in the park “

I was not necessarily expecting a hyperlink, nor a copy of the legislation. I asked what particular piece of legislation applied, in order that I might then locate it / read it.

I would argue that the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 has now superseded the 1926/1971 legislation. Part 1, Chapter 1, Section 6 of LRSA2003 lists all the exceptions. Holyrood Park is not covered by any of those exceptions.

proteus
    Free Member

I’ve asked both the Rangers and Historic Scotland to provide me with (a link to) the relevant legislation and so far they’ve both declined.

(3) The emailed reply was “current Holyrood Park Regulations are displayed on notice boards in the park “

LOL! Good on them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Has anyone ever seen one of these notice boards?

Druidh – I taught you were being the test case?

Northwind

There’s some really nice riding in the Pentlands, it’s not amazing but it’s good enough to keep me going up there every couple of weeks. The best part is possibly Bonaly but it does take time there to find the good parts, so it might not be ideal for you. What sort of distance/difficulty are you after?

dr_adams
    Free Member

isn’t there a notice board up by the entrance from holyrood park drive, just past the entrance to the uni, the road by the royal commonwealth, believe just as you enter the park there on the left there is said notice…

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve been cycling off road around Aurther’s Seat about twice a week for the last month, some really great single track if you know where to look. I live beside the park (and work in Murrayfield!) and i’ve never seen any No Cycling signs or any regulations posted. I was stopped several years ago (maybe 8 or 10) by the park rangers and asked to leave.

Also, the Rangers stop working at about 5.30!

Pentlands are in good condition right now, very dry.

poly
    Free Member

I asked what particular piece of legislation applied, in order that I might then locate it / read it.

OK so they met there obligations under the Freedom of Information Scotland Act, and told you where to find the legislation to read. I am sure if you have a problem finding the notice boards the rangers will be able to direct you to them. The other “park” in the same boat is Linlithgow Loch and Peel – and there are 3 such notice boards on display. Historic Scotland have recently put up signs saying the cycling is permitted ON THE PATHS. There is no real off path riding in this case, and it would probably not be “responsible access” in this situation to be riding off the paths.

I would argue that the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 has now superseded the 1926/1971 legislation. Part 1, Chapter 1, Section 6 of LRSA2003 lists all the exceptions. Holyrood Park is not covered by any of those exceptions.

Well before you go to court you might want to re-read 6.1(d). The LRA did not repeal existing legislation.

druidh
    Free Member

LRSA2003 6.1(d)??

(d) to which public access is, by or under any enactment other than this Act, prohibited, excluded or restricted;

But public access isn’t “prohibited, excluded or restricted”.

jimmy

I got stopped by a ranger last year (didn’t realise it was not allowed). She just smiled and said “You shouldn’t be here but carry on for today”. Then her old hag of a colleague stopped me again on the way down and wasn’t so friendly.

poly
    Free Member

Druidh

But public access isn’t “prohibited, excluded or restricted”.

of course it is thats your complaint.

I haven’t read the Holyrood Park Regulations (as they aren’t available online) – but I presume they say “no cycling except on roads” or words to that effect. That is a restriction on public access. That restriction is made be Regulations which are under an “Enactment other than [the LR(S)A]”

cynic-al
    Free Member

it doesn’t work like that – for legislation to change that which is already in existence, it will explicitly repeal it.

druidh
    Free Member

poly – Member

Druidh

> But public access isn’t “prohibited, excluded or restricted”.

of course it is thats your complaint.

I haven’t read the Holyrood Park Regulations (as they aren’t available online) – but I presume they say “no cycling except on roads” or words to that effect. That is a restriction on public access. That restriction is made be Regulations which are under an “Enactment other than [the LR(S)A]”

Oh, this is good btw – I feel we’re getting somewhere.

The bit I’m looking for is the part of the 1926/1972 regulations which limit cycling within the park. Anyone can stick up a “no cycling” sign, the question is, does it have any legal weight?

poly – Member

There is no real off path riding in this case, and it would probably not be “responsible access” in this situation to be riding off the paths.

Why would this not be considered “responsible”?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Drove through the park last night and didn’t see any notice boards etc at the commy pool end.

geoffj

Following some of the chatter on this on the forum, I took the liberty of asking my colleagues in the Recreation and Access Group of Scottish Natural Heritage for their view on the legality of riding bikes in Holyrood Park

Below is the response I received.
    **It should be noted that this is their interpretation of the relevant bits of legislation and and not necessarily a definitive statement of the law by SNH.

The LRSA 2003 establishes a statutory right of access, conditional on responsible behaviour, over most land;
    a small number of types of land are excluded eg  – Sec 6(1)(d)  – which is paraphrased below:     
    access rights are not exercisable where pre-existing legislation created an exclusion / restriction regarding public access.

The principal Act (the Parks Regulation Act 1872) defined various parks & gardens, which include Holyrood, and created a power for managers of these places to create Regulations;

this Act was then amended by the Parks Regulations (Amendment) Act 1926  which  enabled parks managers to make Regulations – “to be observed by persons using any park to which the principal Act applies, as they consider necessary for   securing the proper management of the park, and the preservation of order and prevention of abuses therein,   and if any person fails to comply with, or acts in contravention of, any regulations so made, he shall be guilty of an offence against the principal Act

The Holyrood Park Regulations, which were amended in 1971 are still in effect, and have had various amendments over the years.  The latest fairly full amendment was the Holyrood Park Amendment Regulations 2004, which came into effect on 17 Dec 2004, which is after the LRSA was passed, so those 2004 Amendment probably count as being within the spirit of a section 30 type review.

From that, cycling is not among the 32 ‘Prohibited Acts’ set out in section 3.   [That is on the interpretation that a pedal cycle  is not a ‘vehicle’ nor a ‘mechanically propelled appliance’, which I don’t think it is since the term ‘pedal-cycle’ is used elsewhere in the Regs].

Section 4 is “Acts for which Written Permission is required”, and this section does include 4(4) “riding a pedal cycle in line with others so as to form a line of more than two abreast”, and 4(5) “driving or cycling at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour”.

So from my reading, since Dec 2004, so long as you are not three or more abreast, and going less than 30 miles per hour, – and are cycling responsibly of course – then you are generally ok to pedal cycle in Holyrood Park

Trip up the Radical Road later anyone?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thanks Geoff
    Thats sounds as good as we are going to get without a court case. 🙂 I have been cycling in the park since 2004 anyway. I suggest tho that “responsible” would be fairly restrictive – not on sunny weekends nor in peak tourist season and not when its wet. Very open to debate tho as to what is responsible.

We could of course set up a points scoring system for collecting tourists.

mk1fan
    Free Member

How about this?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Think i preferred riding there when i thought i was breaking the law… 🙂

STW Aurther’s Seat meet?

poly
    Free Member

geoffj – well done you have obviously managed to find the current park regulations (or someone who had them) which was the stumbling block.

So where is “responsible” to ride is the only debate. This may preclude large groups of riders, riding in conditions where you are likely to cause significant erosion etc. TJ also makes a fair point that responsible access would mean not causing alarm or hazard to other people responsibly excercising their access rights – so busy days are out unless you are happy to go at walking pace! To MY mind responsible in this particular context (i.e. the park) probably means sticking to existing paths and trails rather than wearing new paths across fresh surfaces (i’m not saying tarmacked surfaces, but responsible access has to take account of erosion risk. However there is interesting case law from Highland Council, where a land owner tried to prevent access to horses on the basis that if “10 horses road along the path that would cause such damage that others (e.g. walkers) could not access the land due to the condition/erosion. The court found that such unilateral decisions were not acceptable since an occasional lone horse would not cause the same damage.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think you also have to take into account that it can be rammed on certain paths up there.

druidh
    Free Member

poly – Member
    However there is interesting case law from Highland Council, where a land owner tried to prevent access to horses on the basis that if “10 horses road along the path that would cause such damage that others (e.g. walkers) could not access the land due to the condition/erosion. The court found that such unilateral decisions were not acceptable since an occasional lone horse would not cause the same damage.

Interesting case. I’ve used the same argument on here regarding access to Cairngorm Plateau by bike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not the cairngorm plateau again Druidh 🙂

As for “responsible access” in the park – I am fairly sure that creating new paths would not be – IIRC the basic rule is “if there is a path you can ride it” So no riding over unworn areas – there are lots of paths tho.

Not upsetting both the natives and the tourists would be right as well – I tend to only go up there out of tourist season and in the week or after dark and give way to all walkers I see, stopping if at all needed.

druidh
    Free Member

IIRC the basic rule is “if there is a path you can ride it” So no riding over unworn areas – there are lots of paths tho.

OK – where exactly did you read that rule?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d avoid Arthurs Seat because of the high risk of hitting a drunken Oxbridge reject. Might give it a bash at night though. I’m going out in the Pents on Thurs night for a couple of hours, probably meeting at Cargo at the end of the canal about six. You are more than welcome.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – I ain’t at all sure – hence the “IIRC”

seems a reasonable definition of reasonable access tho – do no damage etc

I ain’t going searching for stuff to prove or disprove

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

I’ve just been to Arthurs seat, cycled up the radical road and then ripped back down to the lake. Too many walkers etc (etc being buckfast brigade with shirts off) to make it worthwhile, reckon an early morning ride would be better.

I searched for notices about cycling, the one near the small bulding at the front of the parliament says ”mountain bikers – please refrain from cycling off the green paths and roads” there is a list of the regulations at the holyrood park education centre in the park on the left heading towards the meadowbank exit which as Geoffj says about only says that more than 2 abreast is prohibited.
    The fine is a max of £20 anyway so no big deal…

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I agree that responsible cycling is required. I avoid the area when it’s busy and if there is a walker approaching, i’ll either slow down to a crawl or stop to let them past.

Stay away from the radical road and only use the path that goes up through the middle for ascent. There are loads of paths that are hidden with very few or no walkers. It’s all on narrow well worn single track and IMO not adding to the erosian or creating new paths.

Couple of recommendations:
    For ascent to the pond at the top, instead of riding up the road, head to the small car park at the Meadowbank end of the park. In the far corner there is a path that takes you all the way up to the back of the pond at the top of the hill.

From here there are various options but an easy one is to cycle round to the roundabout at the bottom of the hill near the commy pool. head up the hill on the left (if your heading towards Hollyrood, the big hill on your left). Here there is narrow and fast singletrack that takes you all the way to the Scotsman building. Where you can do another loop on different tracks.

These sections are very quiet as they are “out of sight” of the masses and i’ve never seen another cyclist on these paths.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh biking’ is closed to new replies.