Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ed Millibands donation cap proposal
  • kimbers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17719404

about freaking time imho

I’m sure it will never get past the condems but it would be nice to see it done and a actual nod toward democracy

and before anyone starts complaining about unions its very easy to opt out we had the choice of donating to charity

besides which rather than being in the pockets of a few multimillionaires the torries could try being nice to the millions of union members instead.

ultimately I doubt anything will change even though camdinewithme is just the latest in a long history of shameful funding scandals

mattsccm
    Free Member

When the unions can’t donate to labour any more!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Given the current amount of financial problems in the Labour party, this is a very, very brave move. Let alone the political issue of the unions losing their influence. Will watch with interest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would like to see the donations to teh tories put on the samebasis as donations from unions.

shareholders must vote
    Even then individual shareholders can opt out.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Of interest.
    Can union members refuse to make any donation? labour or charity?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes.

binners

Who am I going to have my kitchen suppers with now then, you inconsiderate bastards? The spotted dick was to die for

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Binners, you can get a cream that will sort out the itching in no time.

allthepies
    Free Member

Is it correct that the default position for union members is that they are opted in to making Labour party contributions and have to explicitly opt-out if they don’t want to make such contributions ?

anagallis_arvensis

Is it correct that the default position for union members is that they are opted in to making Labour party contributions and have to explicitly opt-out if they don’t want to make such contributions ?

good point but its not as big an issue as millionaires donating huge sums as individuals. I think spending by all parties should be capped and the cap made much lower than it is now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Smart move by Milliband for a change, so will be interesting to see if he can push home the advantage here.

Why so much money is wasted on election campaigning when the main differences between the parties are rhetorical rather than substantive and when they have little choice other than to react to events is sickening to watch. Even on major issues such as austerity/gov spending plans the real differences between any of the parties is minuscule despite the exagerated headlines.

And it’s a waste of time and money anyway as such spending is merely duplicating what already happens. No need to spin this announcement, just read three diifferent websites on the same story The Torygraph, the Beeb and the New Statesman for example and you have the full range of “presentation”/spin on this issue that anyone could want.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ed Millibands donation cap proposal’ is closed to new replies.