Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • EBB question?
  • Eddie_fb
    Free Member

I’ve been away from this forum for a couple of years, been away from biking really I suppose (don’t worry, I wasn’t banged up or anything) but am now trying to get back into it. I have a Ti SS that I love, but have decided I need something a bit more utilitarian as well.

I have an old Kona Caldera frame that I’d love to get running again, but having been out of touch for a few years would like some advice as to what bits are available for not stupid money (Tune/ Chris King not suitable I’m afraid!)

It’s just gonna be V-braked, which I have, and I have most things like seatposts, stems, carbon superstar fork etc in my bike box (doesn’t everyone have something like that in the shed/garage?)

My real question is, is there an affordable EBB solution for a standard 68mm BB? I’d like to run SS, but would like to use a 1×9 system if I need to? Flexibility on a budget is key here! I also need to know what cranks/axle would be compatible, as a quick look on CRC has me confused as to the multitude of options?

TIA,

Ed.

RealMan
    Free Member

http://www.trickstuff.de/index.php?p=d116en1

ST reviewed it I think, might be worth a look.

wwaswas

£150 for that 🙁

cheaper to get some track ends wleded to the frame.

cheapest solution would be a chain tensioner…

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s one that works with new HT2 type cranks IIRC, but it’s really expensive.

Just use a chain tensioner (i.e. old rear mech)

letmetalktomark

Loving the frame 🙂

I had mine (same year) modded by Argos a couple of years ago 🙂

Just about to be reborn as a SS’er 8)

Going to try for a magic ratio 😛

Andy-R

I reckon that the Forward Components one is a better bet than the Excentriker, although I used an Excentriker for a couple of years and it did what it’s supposed to do with no problems.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have two Trick stuff eccentikers. (one on ebay as we speak ;).)

Work really well. fit and forget, the bearings are easily sourcable, about £2 each so £4 and it runs like new.

If you get one make sure it is very clean when fitted and no grease in sight (except threads) and it will run smooth and not slip for a while. (i’m 6’2″ and 14 and a bit stone)

Eddie_fb
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, it seems I have horribly misjudged what is available, so will have to go with the chain tensioner I have already. Thanks for all your help.

Now to find some cranks that will fit!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘EBB question?’ is closed to new replies.