Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • eBay sellers – miserable swines compared to people on the forums
  • geedub16
    Free Member

trying to buy from fleabay folk is so difficult, offering to buy there stuff away from ebay to save them cash and end the auction early but instead they would rather ‘let the auction run’ so they still have to fork out insertion fees ebay final fees and paypal fees I even find they do not reply as fast as folk on the classifieds

I would have though coming to a deal early would be better

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

popcorn anyone?

Zoolander
    Free Member

ebay
    Auction site

= expect an auction

nealglover
    Free Member

Isn’t it terrible when people decide to stick to the rules and not risk having their account closed and lose all their feedback etc just so you can have what you want and not risk losing out to someone willing to pay more than you 🙄

davidjones15
    Free Member

I stay away from the forum classifieds due to the number of scams I’ve read about on here. Too many people who only use the classifieds and don’t use the forum, it just makes me nervous. Sad but true. 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ebay is a pain right enough – I hate it when folk make stupid offers and expect me to end the auction early! Or moan about me wanting to let it run!

geedub16
    Free Member

Its an auction sight right enough but you do get buy it now and make offers and as long as you come to a deal and don’t take the P*** nothing wrong with making offers and if both parties agree then good all round

if you take care into looking at history and what not the classifieds are fine also eBay is a scammers paradise

falkirk-mark

I only buy new stuff as I have seen too many threads of differing opinions of as new condition.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well that’s a bit different to your op, op.

davidjones15
    Free Member

On a personal note, I’ll only buy from ebay sellers who are clearly traders with a good history. Individuals on a face to face basis if I know them and the parts have a known history. Too many stolen parts flogged cheaply.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best one I got was asking what my reserve was, er it’s an auction bid what you think it’s worth. Asking what the reserve is then offering 1p more is a bit low.

tomhoward

This is purely anecdotal, but how many ‘scams’ are actually run on here? When something does go sour it’s mostly just a difference of opinion on the description of an item, and how many of those do we have? A couple a month? Compared to the number of transactions per month its a tiny percentage!

Much better than ebay where folk claim they haven’t recieved and use paypal to recoup money. Also this place is more of a community than the great unwashed that is ebay. How many obviously stolen bikes do you see for sale here?

nealglover
    Free Member

Its an auction sight right enough but you do get buy it now and make offers and as long as you come to a deal and don’t take the P*** nothing wrong with making offers and if both parties agree then good all round

If there is a “buy it now or best offer” then feel free to make an offer.

If it gets turned down then it wasn’t high enough, don’t moan about it.

If there isn’t a “buy it now or best offer” then clearly they don’t want people making offers.

Again, don’t moan about it.

tomhoward

My view is ‘don’t ask, don’t get’ worst that happens is they say no, and you have to bid. ho hum.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My view is ‘don’t ask, don’t get’ worst that happens is they say no, and you have to bid. ho hum.

And you will get the same copy/paste response explaining what an auction is complete with sarcasm and a little derision.
    Do you know how annoying it is to get people wanting to avoid bidding on an auction on an auction site.

geedub16
    Free Member

There is no harm in asking though I sell stuff on the bay and run it on auction if some one asks me questions or make offers I politely reply and try and come to an agreement fair and square I just find lots of people very arrogant and uptight where as on here lot more friendly

I do normally keep my opinions myself and I will continue to do so but just once in a while I can have a moan and see what other people think

Well opinions/people differ because I find the don’t ask don’t get is fair enough and I am all too willing to answer the make an offer questions cos surely if you sell your item quicker the better and if you are happy with the result then everyone wins

nealglover
    Free Member

There is no harm in asking though

No harm in asking,

but also no point in moaning when people don’t change the way they decided to do things, just to suit what you want.

geedub16
    Free Member

Agree no point in moaning about it…I’m out

coffeeking
    Free Member

I recently put something non-bike related on fleabay. I like the fact that I can leave the basics up there and eventually someone will win it, probably at a decent price that they see it’s worth.

However I recently got a complete muppet saying “What’s the lowest you’ll take for this, and will you do a deal outside of ebay?” Err, no, if I wanted a cheap, insecure, poorly advertised sale to a limited audience I’d stick it on Gumtree or the likes.

Plus, don’t forget many people on ebay will be doing it just to make a bit of cash, not as a hobby so they probably won’t be sat on the computer waiting for your email – I sometimes take a day or two to reply because I have a life, a job and other commitments. Surely you do too?

nealglover
    Free Member

I sell quite a bit of non bike related stuff on eBay, not as a business, just clearing out stuff generally.

I always answer questions.

But anyone asking to end the auction early just gets ignored.

(And it happens on pretty much every listing I put up)

geedub16
    Free Member

Wouldn’t call eBay secure you still have to take measures and still no harm in asking and politely decline if you disagree but I do check my listings daily and respond to questions asap

Don’t even want to go into postage abusers!

bencooper
    Free Member

It is amazing how many people do this on every auction I start. I’ve pretty much stopped even bothering to answer. Especially as the amount they offer is never anywhere near what the thing fetches in the end.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Especially as the amount they offer is never anywhere near what the thing fetches in the end.

That’s waht I was going to say, and that’s the OPs answer. Your offer is waaaaaay too low, basically.

That said I pulled a blinder on a bike I bought a few months ago:
    It was advertised as “Readvertised due to time waster” and it was collection only, about 3 miles from my house. Seller obviously wants shot of it.
    So I message him about doing a deal off eBay, and we arrange to meet. I have a good look at it, seller is friendly and genuine, as am I. I make an offer which he accepts. Everyone is happy.

BUT he didn’t know that I know EXACTLY what it ‘sold’ for first time and I just offered him a bit below that figure, pretty much knowing he just wanted rid of it.

I took the bike home, gave it a FULL strip, clean and service with all new cables and more then doubled my money on it. It was a 1994 Kona Hahanna

🙂

TiRed

Won a bike auction and didn’t meet the reserve. Offered a Second Chance, but the seller sold it privately before I could respond…

And I won with a bid £450 for a BIN of £470. I wasn’t impressed to be honest.

micky
    Free Member

I’ve been selling & buying on ebay for years. in 600 transactions I have only had one thing go missing which i purchased and as a seller I have never had a buyer say that something has not turned up. Big thumbs up to ebay. I’ve never been scammed but have seen scams and to be honest you would have to be pretty dull to fall for them. Stick to the rules and everyones a winner. As in life, Just be decent and play by the same rules as everyone else as set out to create harmony. Remember ebay need to make something out of it. Everyones should be a winner! It’s completely within the rules to end an auction early to a high bidder so BIN offers are totally exceptable to me unless I have stated on the listing that I dont want them. I am VERY wary about buying from forums.

shotsaway
    Free Member

With nearly everything I sell I set an auction price and a BIN price. I used to respond to the “will you end early requests” with “That’s what BIN is for!”. However I’ve given up responding now as I must get at least one request anytime I list something.

If you want to buy it early, click on Buy It Now!!!! Rant over…….

footflaps

It annoys the hell out of me that everyone wants you to close the auction and just sell them then item for a song on day 2, just because it’s only above it’s 99p starting price…..

footflaps

I am VERY wary about buying from forums

I’ve had a 100% positive experience with STW classifieds, whereas on Ebay, had people who win and then don’t / won’t pay, been accused of selling counterfeits (they weren’t), had attempted blackmail over feedback (drop the price after the auction closes or I’ll leave you bad feedback and say it never arrived).

Much prefer classifieds, although Ebay generally gets a higher price.

winston_dog
    Free Member

geedub – are you serious?

From Wiki –

An auction is a process of buying and selling goods or services by offering them up for bid, taking bids, and then selling the item to the highest bidder. In economic theory, an auction may refer to any mechanism or set of trading rules for exchange.

I have just sold a load of stuff on ebay and got completely fed up with tos!ers emailing me and asking for a buy it now. Wasting my time and theirs.

bigyinn
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Especially as the amount they offer is never anywhere near what the thing fetches in the end.

That’s waht I was going to say, and that’s the OPs answer. Your offer is waaaaaay too low, basically.

That said I pulled a blinder on a bike I bought a few months ago:
    It was advertised as “Readvertised due to time waster” and it was collection only, about 3 miles from my house. Seller obviously wants shot of it.
    So I message him about doing a deal off eBay, and we arrange to meet. I have a good look at it, seller is friendly and genuine, as am I. I make an offer which he accepts. Everyone is happy.

BUT he didn’t know that I know EXACTLY what it ‘sold’ for first time and I just offered him a bit below that figure, pretty much knowing he just wanted rid of it.

I took the bike home, gave it a FULL strip, clean and service with all new cables and more then doubled my money on it. It was a 1994 Kona Hahanna
    Well done you. Quite the capitalist aren’t we.
    *slow claps*

mcboo
    Free Member

I wouldnt mind people asking if I will end an auction early if they actually gave you a price? Every time I sell I get some spiv asking whats the lowest price I’d take for it. I’ts the highest price I want thanks very much. Stopped answering them now,

Marko

I have just sold a load of stuff on ebay and got completely fed up with tos!ers emailing me and asking for a buy it now. Wasting my time and theirs.

You just need an insert:

‘This is an AUCTION! There is no ‘Buy it now’, so please don’t ask. All my auctions run to the end. I will not remove the item. I will not meet you in a car park on a dark night in the middle of nowhere. Check my feed back’.

Hth
    Marko

geedub16
    Free Member

yes I am serious

what is the harm seriously! its just a message that takes seconds to read and no time to ignore if you choose

I am not talking about the people who take the raz but a genuine offer many a time I have made an offer to end early and actually won the item for less because they let it run but I was gladly willing to offer a very fair price so I can get what I am after rather than wait for a certain time to hit the bid now button

but as Glover said no point in moaning about it its just one part my continual disappointment with the auction site

molgrips
    Free Member

Swine, not swines.

nealglover
    Free Member

Won a bike auction and didn’t meet the reserve. Offered a Second Chance, but the seller sold it privately before I could respond…
    And I won with a bid £450 for a BIN of £470. I wasn’t impressed to be honest.

Which bit were you not impressed with ?

Personally I would be hacked off with myself that I stupidly missed out on something I wanted to buy because I tried to save £20 by not hitting the “buy it now” button

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Are you the same person that asked if they could collect my item and then asked me to drive it almost to their house in Sussex and got annoyed when I described that as delivery rather than collection.

djglover
    Free Member

I sold loads of furniture and household goods I didn’t need after I moved. Every single one I received a buy it now offer via email, every singe one was listed at 99p no reserve.

All the offers were well cheeky, eg £30 for a dehumidifier that went at the end of £87. I just ignored them after the 5th one or so.

bencooper
    Free Member

People get so stroppy when you tell them that you want to let the auction run as well. One bloke recently offered me £500 for a carbon Windcheetah, then kept upping it – his last offer was “£750, and that’s way more than it’ll go for in the auction!”

It went for £2200.

djglover
    Free Member

Are you the same person that asked if they could collect my item and then asked me to drive it almost to their house in Sussex and got annoyed when I described that as delivery rather than collection.

That makes me laugh too.

All my stuff was bulky and couldn’t be arsed to post / courier.

Loads of people asking me to arrange post. no thanks, better things to do on a Saturday!

One guy did make me laugh. His daughter bid on a butchers trolley and won it. £8.00 She thought we were in Ilkeston, not Ilkley and her dad had to drive all the way here to collect it. Doh

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup folk behaving like the OP are IME timewasters.

bigyinn – Member
    Well done you. Quite the capitalist aren’t we.
    *slow claps*

I was going to post a spoof on this…but FFS are you being serious? I guess so 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘eBay sellers – miserable swines compared to people on the forums’ is closed to new replies.