Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ebay army surplus camelbac???
  • Zone
    Free Member

Anyone tried one.. what they are like. any good? 😀

jabbathehut
    Free Member

i have got a couple. They do the job fine but there is no room for storing kit. Its just a bladder in a backpack carrier.

cynic-al
    Free Member

heh. Was wondering this too!

Could you get a waterproof and tube on the back of it? Is it small/light or only slightly smaller than a normal camelback?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jabbathehut
    Free Member

you could if you put the tube inside under the bladder and strapped a waterproof to the outside.

These are normal camelbacks just with DPM outers.

They are really good for carrying water but not for carrying kit

devs
    Free Member

Aye the Brit ones are rubbish for kit. I have a couple but use my Aldi special for biking. Have a look at flecktarn.co.uk for some from other nations. Seem ok but at that price you might as well buy a bike specific one!

njee20
    Free Member

They did do an Army specific MULE a few years back, bit more rugged, that had storage pockets.

Ratty
    Free Member

yeah I have a Thermoback (desert camo, 3 ltr, no pockets) just use it for races when I don't want to carry much.

I never fill the bladder, so yes there's room for tube, pump & multitool tucked in with the bladder, however access is poor – emergencies only!

There are hooks and eyelets on the outside, so it's easy to strap a waterproof to them, but if you want to do that sort of thing I'd get a bigger bag really.

There's no padding of any kind on the back – just sweaty fabric, and there's no waist strap. I like the external filler though, and mine has an insulated water pipe and swivelling bite valve, which are nice touches.

In retrospect, for the price difference you may as well get one of the basic bike-specific Camelbacks, which have at least a small tool pocket and padded back.

Zone
    Free Member

I was just thinking for light summer use… and for the price????

I use inflater bottles and one blast adapter, two lightweight tubes, phone, a bit of change and multi tool. That fits neatly in my jersey pockets…

It's almost a race set up…???? two strikes and I'm ringing or walking.

The other thought was for the kids maybe… so they don't have to keep nicking mine. Would they fit an 8 year old who is as big as nine???

he would think it's cool as well 😀

Ratty
    Free Member

you'd get all that in, but if you fill the bladder you'd never get it out again!

I used to carry 1.5 ltrs of water, tools & 2 lightstick batteries inside (for nightrides obviously), then strap the pump, tube and waterproof to the external 'D' loops. Looked a bit daft tho ; )

I Then decided it was all a bit of a faff for XC use so just use it for racing.

They're far from ideal – but will do the job if your determined.

Length is just the same as a Mule, it's just skinnier.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ebay army surplus camelbac???’ is closed to new replies.