Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Easyjet and bikes?
  • Tracey

Not flown with Easyjet for a while, whats the latest on weight before excess is charged and how do I book the bike on

Tracey

juan
    Free Member

hi bascially you pay for bagage (20kg) and bike (no limits). It's 10€ for bag and 25 for sport equipment

Frankers
    Free Member

If you pay the Sports equipment it increases your Total baggage (exluding hand) to 32Kg.

Recently on a trip to Italy we all fretted at getting our baggage down to 12kg as all our bike bags weighed about 20kg each.

There was no need though as even though they were placed on the scales at Luton they didn't actually check the weight and only stuck the tags on. Other side at Nice on return they didn't bother putting bike bags on the scales.

For safety try and get your baggage down to around 15kg and you should be OK

Edit:
    Just to mention again, officially there is a limit on your bike and overall weight

Copied from Easyjet web site

Bicycles (1), golf equipment, and skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms (2)

An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the above items as set out in our carrier’s regulations.

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg.

Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out in our carrier’s regulations shall apply in addition to the above fee.

juan
    Free Member

Recently on a trip to Italy

how recent as I might even know you 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I've flown my bikes with easyjet loads of times (within and outside the UK). they've never taken note of what my bike weighed and I'm pretty sure I've been well over 32kg in total (normal suitcase + the bike bag) a few times.

Frankers
    Free Member

juan – Member

Recently on a trip to Italy

how recent as I might even know you

Sorry Juan we've never met, we went with Ade at Rivierabike in June

footstomper
    Free Member

Just returned from Les Gets with easy jet and my bike bag weighed in at 31.5kg no problems at all, they just stick heavy labels on anything over 25kg for the baggage handlers benefit. Don't worry and enjoy your Hols 😀

juan
    Free Member

Frankers just asking because I was with ade in july so I though you were one of them :d

Tracey

Thanks for that, as a family we drive out to Verbier each year so weight has never been a problem. Abigale and me have been tempted to the girlie week with Joyriders in October so need to sort flights out. Katie cant go as its exam year

Tracey

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

EASYJET WEIGHT ALLOWANCE

Pay the bike charge and you can take;

20kg suitcase and 30kg bike bag

or

18kg suitcase and 32kg bike bag.

Bike bag can't weigh over 32kg, and your total can't be over 50kg

Any other item of sporting equipment only increases your total weight to 32kg- but bikes are treated better 😀

jackal
    Free Member

Frankers your wrong, rockthreegozy your right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

absolutely just did the 32kg bike bag and the 19kg hold luggage, had to put 5 DH tubes into hand luggage though and rest the corner of the bike bag on the edge of the scales though

Ambrose

They weighed my bikebag in Geneva recently. I was 1kg over and I was askked to do something about it. I put my boots into my hand luggage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So just to be sure before I buy my flights to Malaga and pay £200 for the privelage of spending 6 hour of my life with people who thought Kevin & Perry Go large was a documentary on posh people…………….

You get a 20kg bag free, and pay 2x £18.50 to make that abike bag and a luggage bag, total weight 32kg?

The site isn't entirely clear whether you get a 20kg bag free to start with or not.

uplink
    Free Member

read what rockthreegozy posted up there ^^^^

that's the correct info – unfortunately EJ staff don't always know the regs so print the relevant stuff out from the website to take with you

steveh

It's in here:
    http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html
    At the end of section 10.

R3G is correct, you get 50 kg total with no single item over 32kg.

yoshimi

what uplink said

uplink
    Free Member

BTW – you don't get any free hold bags they're £18 each [for the 1st one up to 20kg]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So you pay £18.50 x 2 (for the bike, each way) + £18 (20kg luggage)

uplink
    Free Member

Yes

You can't have anything other than your bike in the bag as they sometimes see this as avoiding excess baggage charges on your hold bag
    9 out of 10 times you'll get away with it though

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Ive flown with a group (on EJ) who've been charged extra for bike + baggage being over 32kg, despite already paying the extra for sports equipment.

Prob best print the policy and take it with you, the inconsistency its applied is one of the the most fustrating things with flying with bikes, imo

FWIW I always put my bike on the scales and leave it overhanging, whereby some quirk of fate my foot supports most of its weight 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

I've had it go my way and against me with EJ, but their rules are a max of 32kg (bike & other hold luggage combined when you've paid extra for the bike) without paying excess baggage charges:

Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee.

You can have up to another 18kgs of luggage but you'll pay lots for it.

Exactly wrong! (In my experience)

uplink
    Free Member

Rob – you missed this bit of the regs – linked above

Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Good point – I may need to arm myself with that info at the check in desk at some point in the future.

Im my experience it's been costly to go over 32kg combined.
    But as some have said it's poss thay won't charge you any extra.

I personally don't fly EJ any more since they lost my luggage on the way out and destroyed it on the way back and only refunded 45% of the replacement costs in addition to charging me excess for the luggage they lost – AAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Ryanair all the way! (until they give me a similar experience – I know its coming…)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So……….

I pay £54 and get a 32kg bike and 20kg (well 18kg as the max is 50kg) extra luggage?

uplink
    Free Member

yes

RobHilton
    Free Member

Apparently you get a bike of any weight when you pay for sports equipment.
    As long as there's nothing but bike in there.

uplink
    Free Member

Apparently you get a bike of any weight when you pay for sports equipment.
    As long as there's nothing but bike in there.

Baggage handlers H&R regs limit it to 32kg

RobHilton
    Free Member

Oh, ok. That makes sense.
    Looks positive though for anyone travelling with EJ – just go armed with info to fight your corner should you need to.

stumpy01

3 of us travelled with EJ in July and all of our bike bags were >25kg, plus we also took a normal bag of stuff.

We checked in early, and had no issues with excess baggage. We printed all the regs of just in case but didn't need them.

As well as my bike, I packed my pads, energy/recovery powder & tools in my bike bag without issue. Didn't even question it or look in the bag.

This was from Stansted.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the regs are indeed poorly written, or at least contradictory in places but yes, that is the case TINASpoon.

You try and take two bikes out… now then it gets complicated!

I did the Marmotte this July and took the roadie out in one box, and the MTB in another, for some Morzine fun afterwards. Lickily the check-in staff didn't quite know the regs either, so I got them on the plane okay.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pahhh, already booked now 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I've flown with them ~20 times with a bike without issues

LHS
    Free Member

[Cough]Don't worry just put anything which weighs more than your allowance back in the bike bag between check in and outsize baggage drop[/cough]

bennyboy
    Free Member

Flying with them tomorrow and had confirmed 20kg hold bag and 32kg max bike but the two together cant be over 50kg Excess baggage charges are not charged on bikes only on hold baggage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whoop 😀

Anyone else heading to Switchbacks on the 2nd october? I can't wait 😆

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Easyjet and bikes?’ is closed to new replies.