Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Easy-To-Fit road tyres
  • jiff
    Free Member

HELP ! (please..)

People’s recommendations for a fairly puncture resistant but still easy to fit 700 road tyre.

I recently had a puncture in my Conti 4-Season Gatorskin – fortunately v rare occurrence. Changing the inner-tube at the roadside took ages and 2 tubes due to the tightness of the fit.
    This was on the bike I’ll be doing JOGLE on next year. So rather than risk a repeat performance on that route, I thought I’d try a different tyre and opted for the Specialized Roubaix. I’ve now given up on this (fortunately at home ….) after trashing another two tubes with pinch flats.
    My road wheels aren’t deep rimmed and I’ve never had these problems with MTB or other road tyres. The armoured tyres seem too tight to fit purely by hand and it’s using the tyre levers that have caused the additional pinch flats.

scotroutes

Nowt wrong fitting GP 4 Seasons. What sort of rim was it on?

I hate to say this, but I suspect it’s technique rather that the tyres.

bigG
    Free Member

Never had any probs with Michelin , previously used krylion carbon and now pro 4. Both slip on easily without levers, just using my manly thumbs to roll them on.

jiff
    Free Member

Scotroutes – comments appreciated. But I’ve never had pinch flat issues fitting other tyres.

bigG – have checked out the Michelin – thanks. How’ve you found these for punctures ? They have decent reviews.

BTW – Wiggle site down ???

bigG
    Free Member

I changed to Michelin’s because of punctures with conti tyres. Had very few flats in the last four years of using Michelins on all sorts of road surfaces. Grippy too. Great tyres IMHO.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Fire some schwalbe marathon plus tyres on your bike and forget about punctures.

taxi25
    Free Member

Deff technique. You shouldn’t need to use tyre levers to fit road tyres. Get as much on as you can, then put the wheel between you legs and run your hands around the tyre stretching it and pulling the tyre down into the centre of the rim. You should be able to get the rest of the tyre bead over the rim using you thumbs, or using a overhand grip rolling it on using your palms.
    If your in Cardiff I’ll show you how to do it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Easy-To-Fit road tyres’ is closed to new replies.