Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Easter Peak district conditions….
  • kiwifiz
    Free Member

Hi team….first venture into the Peak district this weekend (wohooo!) and hoping to sneak away from family for a ride or two around ladyblower neck of the woods….problem is I’ve just gone tubeless with a maxxis LUST crossmark on the back as of last week….can I get away with that with forecast relatively dry until Monday or do I need some more traction with current conditions on the ground….whatever they may be?? (have a Minion DH on front so fine there and an advantage or mud X waiting in the wings for the rear)

Thanks for your help…..

SBrock
    Free Member

I would stay at home and avoid the crowds

tracknicko
    Free Member

a wee bit wet now mate. still have snow on ground above 200-300 metres as far as i can see.

currently sat looking at crookes, stannington and strines moor. all snow capped.

wont be dry by weekend.

tracknicko
    Free Member

oh and brocko is right.

ladybower at easter is like riding round meadowhall on christmas week.

flyingmonkeycorps

Depending on the routes you do… You’ll be grand. It’s mostly rocky out there, and the rocks grip well even in the wet. *may* be worth avoiding Whinstone Lee Tor after the rain we’ve had, but it might be ok up there.

flyingmonkeycorps

Oh, snow. Forgot about that. Aye you might need something better for that 😉

tracknicko
    Free Member

snow will probably have melted in most spots mind, it’s currently nice and sunny.

off out on road bike later so will report back if you’re still interested?

simonm
    Free Member

A LOT of snow up high. Its absolulty STUNNING though this morning.. you’ll have a great time.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’d be interested in that, we’re heading out on Tuesday (avoiding the crowds a little bit!)

simonm
    Free Member

The snows not too thick on the Bridleways by the looks of it, should melt off for the weekend.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Thanks all……looks like a swop to the advantage would be sensible. Realise it will be busy but seems criminal not to take the bike as will be there with family anyway! Early starts and some research on “less trod paths” seems like next step…..If anyones planning an early jaunt Saturday or Sunday am and doesn’t mind a tourist on board let me know (moderately fit HT riding 43 yr old kiwi good for about 20 mls at most!).

View this morning looks amazing simonm! Any updates appreciated tracknicko

Cheers

hora
    Free Member

Crowds? I’d struggle to say I’ve ever seen crowds.

I’ve seen people around Castleton/Hope and upto Mam Tor. Or around Ladybower reservoir itself (ground level) but beyond that I’ve barely seen many people out in the Peaks.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think lots of people will be put off by the snow

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m encouraged by the snow 😀

SBrock
    Free Member

Crowds? I’d struggle to say I’ve ever seen crowds.

It was a figure of speech!

I will be pretty gloopy though, can’t believe it was last week, cutgate path was bone dry!

Crell
    Free Member

Lots melting right now in the white peak (literally) but we have some deep drifts that will take a couple of days to clear. It’s a stunning day today though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Crowds? went out last weekend and managed to ride the footpath from Mamm Torr to the Broken Road without stopping for any walkers (bridleway to castleton looked busier mind you).

hora
    Free Member

Regularly I’ve ridden from 8-11.40ish and not seen a soul on the trails. Down round Fairholmes- yes but not even bikers. When I do the see the odd biker I’ve known them 😆

crikey
    Free Member

The forecast will be for Audis moving in from the west, a light scattering of chubby wobblers on the well known trails and a dusting of condescendtion from those who’ve been before. The morning may see some attempted gnarr before being replaced with pushes on the steeper slopes.

hora
    Free Member

The forecast will be for Audis moving in from the west

They are no trail centre’s in the Peaks.

parling
    Free Member

Shall be doing the old up and over on sunday morning from langsett so hoping its a bit dry,

crikey
    Free Member

The Peak is a trail centre in all but name. Especially the whole drive to the Woodbine thing.

tracknicko
    Free Member

plenty of audi’s tho hora.

the **** constantly cut me up out on the road.

what is it with audis and beemers?

alex222
    Free Member

I think that it will dry out very quickly. Its not like the ground is saturated.

hora
    Free Member

what is it with audis and beemers?

Its not the cars, its the type of people the brand attracts.

flyingmonkeycorps

That’s what I’m hoping… More rain forecast, but hopefully not loads.

alex222
    Free Member

Its not the cars, its the type of people the brand attracts.

same car different ****t

tracknicko
    Free Member

aye but then they get in the cars, and thus it’s the cars…

if the people attracted to audis ran past me on foot as i rode along, and didn’t give me enough room i might be more amused than annoyed.

im pretty sure it’s the cars that are the issue.

or is this the old guns dont kill people, people kill people thing?

BANG!

gsp1984
    Free Member

Peak District last weekend, temperature 20c, Cutgate / MamTor / Jacobs ladder all bones dry and running fast…

Peak District on the way home from work last night, every road closed, my actual road home blocked by 5ft snow drift, other snow drifts upto 20ft…

tracknicko
    Free Member

lots of people in that sunny day pic. loads and loads. far more than the naysayers claim are out and about.

😉

gsp1984
    Free Member

Mamtor is always packed with walkers, mainly because it’s a 15 minute walk from the nearest car park.

Everywhere else was fairly quite, never completely dead though.

hora
    Free Member

Apart from the hotspots its hardly the most popular out and about is it?!

Saying that in the Surrey Hills you used to get the gaggle of folk around Leith Hill, Peaslake etc then it was fairly quiet elsewhere.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

kiwifiz, there should be a few of us out on Saturday morning doing a fun little loop around the Hope valley. You’re welcome to tag along but I doubt people will be able to get there much before ten…

amodicumofgnar

South Head at tea time (link goes to slide show).

North of South Head on the traverse

At the Col

Towards the Roych

I’d suggest all of the moorland routes are going to be a bit full of snow. ski or board descent of the PBW into the Roych might be a goer if it freezes off over night and arrive before the MXers chew it.

Bunnyhop

OAP – skiing down there, what a good idea. Clear skies, so I’m thinking it will freeze.

amodicumofgnar

If I wasnt meant to be elsewhere I’d be calling the STW South Head Ski Board and Sledge meet for tomorrow. There’s a reasonable patch for a few turns by the gully that runs North from the Col. Looked like there were a few good patches on off the Edale Cross bridleway as well.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

The forecast will be for Audis moving in from the west, a light scattering of chubby wobblers on the well known trails and a dusting of condescendtion from those who’ve been before. The morning may see some attempted gnarr before being replaced with pushes on the steeper slopes.

Love that crikey! Thanks for the pics gsp1984 and OAP. Tempted to chuck the skis in the car as well!

Thanks for the Sat ride offer bloodyshins…..I’m staying at the far South of the Peak D though so may try and find something more local though. Have a great weekend riding all!

tracknicko
    Free Member

peaks last night.

snow up tops, but generally pretty clear, good for road riding actually, roads mainly dry, but very pretty out.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

I’ll be employing my usual Peaks weekend/bank hol tactic of not arriving in the area until at least 4pm…works every time in avoiding the crowds!

alex222
    Free Member

swoon 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Easter Peak district conditions….’ is closed to new replies.