Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • E-Cigs: Any passive health issues?
  • hora
    Free Member

Apparently I’m being paranoid but colleague in office “smokes” one occassionally. I know there hasn’t been any tests carried out as yet? I don’t want to get hooked on any Nicotine vapour?

Signed, paranoid (stop looking at me) hora

Junkyard
    Free Member

It can make you paranoid apparently 😉

Woody
    Free Member

It’s about as dangerous as inhaling steam from a kettle!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A discarded one gave a friend of mine a flat tire on his motorbike recently…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Does he hold it delicately in his hand, toying with it and keep putting it in his mouth and sucking it? He fancies you.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

do you have any proof of that woody? link maybe?

tonyg2003

There was a +200 post thread on this subject a while ago 😉 Did nobody tell you? Are people avoiding you? ……

hora
    Free Member

Linky??

khani
    Free Member

Who you calling paranoid??? STOP TALKING ABOUT ME!!!!

dabble
    Free Member

That would be pretty dangerous Woody, inhaling something in the region of 100 degrees plus wont be nice.

My friends GF is a GP, shes been to a couple of talks about them, and they still have the carcinogens that cause cancer, and the nicotine still keeps you addicted, there’s just not the tar content. Not sure about the passive health risks though. I would of thought you’d be fine.

bearnecessities
    crazy-legs

They’re treated the same as normal cigarettes in our office – ie you can only smoke them in the smoking shelter.

DezB
    Free Member

you can only smoke them in the smoking shelter.

I like that – so even people giving up smoking can stink like an ashtray 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

This looks like its worth a read (for someone who is interested, ie. not me)
    http://archest.fsm.it/pne/pdf/79/01/pne79-1-04-caponnetto-polosa.pdf

T1000
    Free Member

biggest risk is fire from the cheap ones…a colleagues efag set fire to the office…….

as the charger hadn’t been Pat tested for use at work and the incident cost over a 100k… that person isn’t with us any more…..

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your ****’ mouth.”

portlyone

A colleague of mine had his blow up too.

I think I remember the EU or WHO trying to ban them because they’re not regulated so you could be inhaling anything.

Woody
    Free Member

That would be pretty dangerous Woody, inhaling something in the region of 100 degrees plus wont be nice. – See more at: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/e-cigs-any-passive-health-issues#post-5535854

I assumed Hora wasn’t THAT close but he doesn’t say if its a male or female colleague, so you might have a point !

binners

Real or e-cigs, you seem to have forgotten the first rule of smoking……

hora
    Free Member

Real or e-cigs, you seem to have forgotten the first rule of smoking…..

I’m an addict but I’m completely in denial and want to pretend that I’m a head-strong person of my own? 😉

khani
    Free Member

You should get an E-Bike, it might stop your serial bike swapping..

nealglover
    Free Member

….and they still have the carcinogens that cause cancer

Which ones are those then ??

And in what amounts.

I think they need to do a bit more research

sv

Which ones are those then ??

And in what amounts.

I think they need to do a bit more research

Exactly but better we treat them as suspect carcinogens until its proven or not.

nealglover
    Free Member

Exactly but better we treat them as suspect carcinogens until its proven or not.

The independent research has already been done

I meant your friend of a friends girlfriend should do some more research, (or you should before repeating what they say ?)

MSP

….and they still have the carcinogens that cause cancer

But they are balanced out by the carcinogens that don’t cause cancer.

binners

On that basis, wouldn’t that apply to absolutely everything?

BAN EVERYTHING!!!!!! QUICK!!!!!!!!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Are there any health implications of using one first hand? I need a new hobby.

nealglover
    Free Member

But they are balanced out by the carcinogens that don’t cause cancer.

Yeah, if only they had thought to use that type of carcinogen in proper cigarettes eh 😉

Would have so much better :mrgreen:

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It shows how feeble they are at least.

If you are giving up, give up. Stop being so weak.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you are giving up, give up. Stop being so weak.

You should have stayed for the full hour of your “learn addiction counselling” course.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member
    It shows how feeble they are at least.

If you are giving up, give up. Stop being so weak.People smoke because they enjoy it. Only reason to give up is the health implications. So plenty people will stay on the ecigs indefinitely.

nealglover
    Free Member

plenty people will stay on the ecigs indefinitely.

Yup, don’t see any reason why not.

I’ve been on the e-cigs and off the real cigarettes for just short of five years.

29erKeith
    Free Member

They’re treated the same as normal cigarettes in our office – ie you can only smoke them in the smoking shelter.

I wish this was the norm everywhere tbh.
    For potential heath issues, which may be proven to not exist, I’ve not done any research.
    Primarily though so e-cig’s aren’t normalised and picked up by kids.
    I’m all for free choice (So long as that doesn’t directly affect others e.g. passive smoking in enclosed public places) but that level of ostracization of smokers and hopefully ECigs might help keep some kids from starting.
    I can’t imagine many smokers actually wanting to encourage their kids to start either, and if they’re normalised into society that can happen much easier IMHO.

seosamh77
    Free Member

you can actually smoke ecigs without anybody noticing you are doing it btw. take a smoke, then take another breath of fresh air before you inhale and no vapour comes out.

dabble
    Free Member

The independent research has already been done

I meant your friend of a friends girlfriend should do some more research, (or you should before repeating what they say ?)

Maybe you should read it again:

My friends GF is a GP, shes been to a couple of talks about them, and they still have the carcinogens that cause cancer, and the nicotine still keeps you addicted, there’s just not the tar content. Not sure about the passive health risks though. I would of thought you’d be fine.

Although, more research does need to be done.

nealglover
    Free Member

Maybe you should read it again:

No. I read it just fine thanks.

They are referring to the FDA tests I would imagine.

The ones that showed that there were less carcinogens in E-cigs than there are in nicotine gum, and patches.

Amounts so small they cannot be accurately measured.

So to say they contain carcinogens is technically correct, but not to quantify what that means disingenuous to say the least.

dabble
    Free Member

Oh well, don’t I feel sheepish, here’s me thinking “why would a doctor lie to me?” (except to spare my feelings of course) I bow down to your knowledge and humbly beg your forgiveness.

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s fine. Maybe the talk they attended was biased ?

Maybe they weren’t listening properly ?

Who knows ?

binners

Maybe they simply ignored the research as it didn’t deliver the answers they wanted? 😉

dabble
    Free Member

Those pesky doctors, always trying to tell you what they think is wrong, not what you know is wrong. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘E-Cigs: Any passive health issues?’ is closed to new replies.