Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dynamo hub battery charger
  • epicyclo

I want to run my dynamo hub to a charger so my headlight stays burning. (For StrathPuffer)

There’s various circuits that look like they’ll do the job, but knowing STW there’s more than likely to be an expert here.

Or for that matter any ready made ones?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

USB-Werk by Busch and Muller?

I use one to charge my phone, mp3 player etc as it has a small buffer battery. Battery-size is small though. Fepends for how long you want a stand-light burning ?

NewRetroTom

Unfortunately at pushing speed a dynamo won’t generate any power, so this might not be a good option.

scruff9252

I use a kemo one (sold by maplin) on my touring bike – works well. Only concern would be my average speed at the puffer being adequate to keep lights on. I did 2016, peddle downhill mudfest and my average speed would of been too slow I recon.

Your legs may vary.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

backup battery-powered light/headtorch would be cheaper, easier and betterer?

piesoup
    Free Member

I tried a dynamo at Mayhem. Waste of time. Went straight back to batteries on the next lap.
    Even on the road you need to be going a fair pace to charge a battery big enough to run a light for any decent time. (I’ve made both dynamo lighting circuits and dynamo charging circuits)

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive broken a number of them .

luckily they are more suited to low speeds- but then they dont charge.

90kph off sunwapta pass killed my igaro d1. but andrew did give me a mk5 titanium and explained what kills them to me. But lasted infinately longer than any of the 4 cycle2charges i had which rarely lasted a ride.

all ill say is wire in a switch or youll be trashing them regularly if you get up to speed and the item your charging hits full charge.

not sure the puffer will be an issue for you with that.

how you gonna charge the headlight while riding ? if it can charge off the dynamo then sounds like its USB so id go with usb battery pack in the back pocket – stay disconected from the bike.

richpips
    Free Member

Minimum of 6mph needed to charge a battery. Hire some lights from exposure.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

how you gonna charge the headlight while riding ? if it can charge off the dynamo then sounds like its USB so id go with usb battery pack in the back pocket – stay disconected from the bike.

I just bought a 21000 mAh Anker PowerCore battery pack for just under £30. Bit weighty but should last a while.

Would think something like this may suffice, and it has a small built in flashlight for fiddling about.

epicyclo

I should add I have enough lights and batteries to do the ‘Puffer without the dynamo hub.

I was thinking of it as a supplementary thing to extend how long the batteries ran for. Less battery changes = less time lost in pits (self-supported).

However richpips has given me the answer – 6mph. I just ain’t fast enough. 🙂

I’ll put the dynamo hub on my roadbike and just up my battery capacity.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dynamo hub battery charger’ is closed to new replies.