• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sum.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • DX lights…again, helmet version
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

these threads are getting old fast i know, but for those of you who have the helmet mountable version of the light, this one > Helmet light how long is the cable, long enough to put the battery pack in the rucksack or will it need modding.

Cheers

racing_ralph
    Free Member

you will need an extension cable (i have a spare – email me robjackson@hotmail.co.uk)

RDL-82
    Free Member

cheers will drop you one tomorrow, stuck at work, on the mobile at the minute

radoggair
    Free Member

i rode mine tonight for its first outing, the strap that came with it was for head mounted rather than helmet mounted, so had to cut ( at the stitching) the 2 straps so i could wrap them around my vents to keep the light securely in place. Anyway, the cable is about 12" long from the actual light and about 8" long from the battery pack. I clipped the battery pack ( clip included) onto the left shoulder of my cambelback ( well the thin strap that sits on top of the main shoulder strap) and that worked well fo me, giving me plenty of cable spare so it wasn't tight. i simply threaded the cable through the loop holes in the camleback and through the straps on top of my helmet so they ran cleanly behind my head

Hope this helps

Random
    Free Member

you will need an extension cable (i have a spare – email me robjackson@hotmail.co.uk)

Are these available from DX or somewhere else?

cookeaa

Random – Member

Are these available from DX or somewhere else?

Ditto…

STATO
    Free Member

I clipped the battery pack ( clip included) onto the left shoulder of my cambelback ( well the thin strap that sits on top of the main shoulder strap) and that worked well fo me

Are the batteries on these any better sealed now? i remember reading about a few people suffering water ingress issues. Might be worth a thought if you mounting them outside of your bag.

singlespeedstu

Extension cable available here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170388377895&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And the batterys are the same on both bike mounted and helmet mounted.

Olly
    Free Member

im hoping to use the "ipod" pocket on my camel back mule when mine arrive, except i think i ordered the ones without the helemet mount in a moment of not paying attention, so will have to bodege a lid mount somehow.

singlespeedstu

im hoping to use the "ipod" pocket on my camel back mule when mine arrive

You'll still need an extension cable if you mount the light near the front of your helmet.

cookeaa

Mine is the bar mount version but I do fancy trying it out on my helmet at some point the lead isn’t that long and I try not to ride with a pack where possible these days, so I was thinking an extension might let me put it in a jersey/jacket pocket or on the strap for my water bottle bum bag jobbie… .

I might see if I can find a strap to put it on my upper arm perhaps…

keppoch

Does the helmet mount one include the standard bar mount?

keppoch.

FieldMarshall

The helmet light includes two rubber O rings for mounting just like the bike light.

These can be used to either mount it on the bars (normal or oversize) and also on the included helmet mount or other similar mount (i.e. Lupine).

I like to put the battery in my bag (i.e. out of the worst of the rain). In which case an extension lead is required. I have the ebay one above.

If mounting the helmet on your camelbak strap etc, I would take the precaution of putting some silicone sealant around the battery pack where the cable exits, as water can get in there and potenially cause havoc.

ozric
    Free Member

I had a bar mounted light and now have a helmet mounted one to go with it. The batteries and cables are the same on both.

I don't use the helmet mount provided as it would make the light too high for riding in the forest. Have been pulled off the bike by a branch before, never again. I mount my light directly to a cross piece on top of the helment with the largest O ring. This also allows up/down adjustment.

Both light types need an extension when used on the helment if the battery is to go in camelback or pocket.

cookeaa

is silicone sealant the best idea? what with Acids and all, is the old "wrap it in Clingfilm" solution to water proofing not effective?

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

My bastid arrived the other day, after 4 weeks. I've also got the extension cable from EBay above. When I plug the extension in the green light on the back of the bastid turns red! Any reason? Battery fully charged and all that. Too much volt-drop perhaps?

Sum
    Free Member

Mine also does that with the same extension cable from eBay. I'm guessing voltage drop is the cause.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘DX lights…again, helmet version’ is closed to new replies.