Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • DVD ripping software?
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend any free DVD ripping software for Windows that works? I want to be able to rip to an avi or other single file format playable by VLC for example.

househusband

DVD Decrypter and/or DVD Shrink to rip from DVD to your hard disc and then Handbrake to convert!

Matt24k
    Free Member

dvdshrink
    Freemake Video Converter is great for changing file types

Cougar

DVD Decrypter has long been abandoned. Try DVD43 instead.

colournoise

Handbrake?

imnotamused
    Free Member

Handbrake looks like it may do the job as the DVDs I want to rip aren’t copy protected. If I wanted to rip any of my copy protected DVDs what should I use?

Cougar

DVD43 and Handbrake.

I think we’ve just encountered the middle of this conversation.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Cool, cheers.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Correction, my DVD is copy protected. Handbrake doesn’t see the chapters containing the film even with dvd43 installed, although it does rip the first visible chapters OK. Going to try dvdshrink unless anyone knows the solution to the above?

cheburashka
    Free Member

DVDshrink FTW.

imnotamused
    Free Member

OK dvdshrink is doing its stuff. I will report back when done…

imnotamused
    Free Member

Right, dvdshrink ripped it and created the video and audio _ts folders with files inside. Handbrake now doing its 50 mins of work on those files…

househusband

Been doing the same on and off over the past few weeks since I got a Nexus 7 tablet! Suspect I may get an external USB Blu-Ray player so I can start on a few of them but not sure if the software mentioned in this thread will do Blu-Ray discs!

imnotamused
    Free Member

Yep, this is also for my Nexus 7 🙂

Ok, Handbrake worked. Cheers for the help guys.

Any bored developers out there, can I request a one button piece of software that rips a DVD to a single mkv file please as the above process is all a bit faffy. Oh, and it needs to be free. Thanks 😀

smithshane
    Free Member

Personally, i prefer use handbrake or ffmpeg to rip DVDs to avi, both are open source. but they cant decrypt commercial DVDs. so make sure all your dvds are home-made and legal to rip.

househusband

Is it actually illegal to rip a commercial DVD (one that you own) so that you can watch it on a device that doesn’t have a DVD player..?

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t see why not – why shouldn’t the same rules apply as with CDs!

I’m still struggling…

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I stumped up the cash and bought WinX DVD ripper platinum. If you like them on Facebook you get a 50% off code. Think it eventually cost me about £17. Worth it in my opinion as it decrypts and rips in one go. Plus there are loads of output formats, audio and video qualities, etc you can set.

johndoh
    Free Member

And it works with encrypted DVDs? Worth considering if it does…

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

They say it does and I’ve not had any issues yet. Will try one of the kids Disney DVDs which are usually a problem today and report back.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Just ripped tbe latest muppets dvd without problems so i would say the decryption works fine.

theflatboy
    Free Member

househusband – Member

Is it actually illegal to rip a commercial DVD (one that you own) so that you can watch it on a device that doesn’t have a DVD player..?

technically, yes.

Drac

Techinically, no. I thought it illegal too but no it’s not.

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheers – will get that then (ready to load iPad with kiddie films for a long plane flight…)

Cougar

What’s this “technically” business? It is or it isn’t, shirley?

theflatboy
    Free Member

“illegal” is a misleading word for it, apologies. Copying a copyrighted work, e.g. a DVD, is a copyright infringement even if you bought the disc in the first place.

are you likely to get caught and taken to court over making small scale copies at home? very unlikely.

MSP

I thought making personal copies for backup was now allowed under the latest piracy laws? as a trade of against some of the more draconian measures also implemented, or are they still at the discussion stage?

Drac

It is.

druidh
    Free Member

That does not allow one to make additional copies for use on different devices.

MSP

That does not allow one to make additional copies for use on different devices.

Actually I thought that was included as well, to be honest I remember them discussing the law changes ages ago but can’t recall heering the final implementation.

ps, I got your email, I can’t find those tabs for the tent, I fear I threw them away as I never intended to use them, but will have a proper look in my cellar at weekend where many such items go to die.

theflatboy
    Free Member

has the copright designs and patents act 1988 been updated then, because according to the most recent copy i can find making a copy, unless for one of the permitted exceptions, is an infringement.

what’s your source, Drac?

johndoh
    Free Member

Well there isn’t a hope that I am going to buy a digital copy of a film I already own just so I can watch it on my computer (that doesn’t have a DVD drive on it).

Nice to see that Prometheus packaged up a digital download with the Bluray disk I bought though….

druidh
    Free Member

Cool. I’ve written to the makers asking about them too but no response yet.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Couldn’t you legally store the DVD on another device (as per backup best practice) which happens to be a tablet? Then legally watch it to confirm its integrity?

missionuk
    Free Member

Free. http://winxdvd.com/giveaway/

If anyone needs it 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Brilliant thanks – just what I needed.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

If you already own the DVD why not just download the divx/avi version from piratebay and save yourself the hassle?

johndoh
    Free Member

If you already own the DVD why not just download the divx/avi version from piratebay and save yourself the hassle?

I had considered that but:

1 – I don’t want to get malware
    2 – I replace ‘conversion’ hassle with ‘find the right film in the right format and try to download it’ hassle
    3 – I don’t want my girls to be 3/4 the way in to Mary Poppins (on the plane to LA) to find it has suddenly changed to Pop It In Mary

zokes
    Free Member

If it’s ‘technically’ illegal to change the format of a film you own to one that’s not on a semi-defunct format because you bought the license, not the DVD, surely it’s also illegal to sell second hand DVDs (previously ripped or not) due to same licensing regulations. Pretty much any film I’ve watched has had some bumpf about not being for resale etc in the same paragraph about not being for public display or to be copied.

theflatboy
    Free Member

nope, copying is a prohibited act under CDPA 1988 (still, as far as i can tell – haven’t had any update on any change which makes it permitted).

you’re entitled to sell your own property so selling a copy you previously bought is not prohibited.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘DVD ripping software?’ is closed to new replies.