Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Dustmen!
  • PikeBN14
    Free Member

Don't you just love them?

Is there any other occupation where if something goes wrong (a bag splits and some rubbish falls on the floor) you can use the F Word 5 or 6 times in your minute long rant while kicking things around the pavement, effectively in front of your customer (me!) and get away with it?

Another time, I was sitting in my car trying to get out of the close they'd needlessly blocked with the dustcart (plenty of places to pull in withing a car length or two) I merely shook my head and one shouted "you do want your fu**ing rubbish collected don't you?"

I didn't even live down the close!! 😯

Oh to have the freedom to swear at everyone at work like they do 😆

jam-bo

But you do want your rubbish collected…it'd get pretty grim, pretty quick if they didn't.

I did a summer on the bins about 15yrs ago, before wheelie bins. Hardest grafting I've ever done.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I've always wondered WTF corblimey trousers are!! 8)

PikeBN14
    Free Member

That's no excuse!

People want the services I provide in my job, but I wouldn't keep it very long if I went off on one like this guy did!

If I broke my arm and went to hospital I'd be a bit shocked if the doctor dropped his pen and then went on a F word rant!!

I can think of one other that gets away with it, Gordon Ramsey!

highclimber
    Free Member

the bin men where i used to live, in south manchester, were so lazy that if you hadn't put your bin the right way round at the edge of the kerb it wouldnt get emptied!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Be careful, bin men are clever.

In Swindon the council decided that they'd help speed up rubbish collections if they paid the bin men per load by weight collected.

Ordinarily it would have been a good system if the weighbridges had weighed on the way out too but they don't. So the bin men weighed into the landfill site, full, emptied half their load, drove off to collect more bins only to return a short time later, weigh in and empty half their load and so on until they got rumbled.

They did it for weeks until someone clever discovered the tonnage of rubbish being dumped had shot up somewhat….

khani
    Free Member

i drove a binwagon for a bit through an agency, they were the biggest bunch of nutcases i have ever worked with and a law unto themselves, half of them were on special brew by 6.30am, seen em scrapping with members of the public and between themselves, but it is a s**t job collecting rubbish in all weathers getting coverd in fox piss off black bags when you pick them up, needles, condoms and other nice things and impatiant peaple in cars who either abuse you for holding them up or try to squeese past and mow you down, so i think the working conditions breed a bit of an atitude as well, it was absolutly mental 😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Our binmen are great, they take anything. As yet we don't have the luxury of wheely bins but whatever we put out on bin day, goes! When we were with Leeds council their binmen were absolute sh!te, you could put a full bin out with a single bag of rubbish alongside & they'd only empty the bin & leave the bag. Needless to say they didn't get a card at Xmas.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you can use the F Word 5 or 6 times in your minute long rant

Only 5 or 6 times in one minute ? 😯

I can throw the F & C words at the rate of about 3 or 4 every 5 seconds, when I'm at work……….I tend to slow down a bit after I've taken my work boots off.

Your dustmen sound right proper posh. WTF do you live ? 😕

wrightyson
    Free Member

That silly tw at who collects our rubbish again placed the bin directly behind my van again this morning! First time he did it I backed the whellie bin across the road as I pulled out! Why can't the tunc return it to a similar position he fetched it from!
    However the lads who jet wash my bin every month are sound and merrily go about their pretty grimy job!

miketually
    Free Member

As yet we don't have the luxury of wheely bins but whatever we put out on bin day, goes!

We put out black bags.

A colleague put out a bin after he moved into the town, so they put that in the bin wagon too 🙂

tang
    Free Member

i did the bins for a summer, 10hrs a day running and lifting stinking bags, emptying shit bins. all nutters but allot of fun. there is a feeling of being an outcaste leper that people cant do without, but wont look you in the eye. saying that there were people who week in week out left out flasks of tea, cake etc. the dust cart always got a splash of tea on the wheels and a biscuit in the hopper! i always sort them out at christmas. a noble shit job.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

so they put that in the bin wagon too

LOL ! 😀

falkirk-mark

I have been known to swear every second word on a good rant

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I LOLed too 🙂

duntmatter
    Free Member

Cor Blimey trousers

konabunny
    Free Member

jet wash my bin every month

really? jesus.

zokes
    Free Member

I LOLed 3 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

The binmen at my old place were a big haphazard, but the dustman (street sweeper) was a proper nice bloke. Out in all weathers, snow included, cleaning everything and not complaining once. Always smiling despite clearly suffering with a leg or back injury. Always stopped in at the butchers who gave him a free cup of coffee each morning when he opened, I wanted to punch the local busy-body who shopped him to the council for stopping for a coffee while "on duty".

At my new place they're also great, spoken to them twice now – both times very helpful and ordered me new recycling bins just from a quick on the street chat and always wave of a morning.

You must get seriously disillusioned binmen. Maybe more people should offer them a coffee and complain less about them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

saying that there were people who week in week out left out flasks of tea, cake etc.

Ddn't they just get binned too? Where would you leave them? I wouldnt want to put them on top of the bins. And surely the binmen would be covered in crap and not want to eat stuff without a wash?

Netdonkey

PikeBN14 – Surrey County Council per chance?

Had to step in one when they turned on my mrs for asking the driver to move forwards 2m to go to work. She was asked if she wanted her F**kin bins emptied and she should have got out her Fing bed earlier all in front of my 3 year old. (he did have a point on the getting out of bed!) She is a nurse and replied I hope you never need your a*se wiping on my shift!

Not doubting it is a hard and dirty job but I wonder how they would feel if health care staff started Fing at their wife mother after a little illness related accident!

Netdonkey

Saying that I am very grateful for the work they do. Just tone it down infront of the kids / ladies if you can!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And surely the binmen would be covered in crap and not want to eat stuff without a wash?

troll surely?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Netdonkey – It begins with an S if you forget about the West – Sussex.

Cougar

Report 'em to the council, they'll get a kicking.

surfer
    Free Member

Are you sure?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Cougar – Noooo!!!!

My brother did that years ago when they sifted through his rubbish and took things out (CD cases I think) while it was still on his driveway, he took exception and reported the bloke (he was quite easy to describe) and they sent him round to appologise 😯

I'm not bothered by the swearing particularly, just can't think of many other jobs where you'd get away with it!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought the 'binman are all highly intelligent people who just can't find the highly paid job they deserve' thing was an urban myth. But now I know it must be true.

rootes1

i worked as a bin man for two weeks when i was a student scum bag – it is a properly hard job – like marathon running and weight lifting combined…

they do a hard job in crap conditions

<<PikeBN14 – Surrey County Council per chance?>>

doubt it as Surrey CC don't do collections as they are the disposal authority and not the collection authority (which is down to the districts..)

LHS
    Free Member

Not had my recycling collected for 2 months after I called them a bunch of jobsworths w*****s for not taking a big pile of cardboard i couldn't fit in my bin.

Lesson learned! 🙄

glenh
    Free Member

worked as a bin man for two weeks when i was a student scum bag – it is a properly hard job – like marathon running and weight lifting combined…

Surely any job seems like hard work when you are used to being a student?

rootes1

worked as a bin man for two weeks when i was a student scum bag – it is a properly hard job – like marathon running and weight lifting combined…

Surely any job seems like hard work when you are used to being a student

not really i served a 4 year apprenticeship with the waterboard as a sewage and water plant fitter + other work before becoming a student (no a levels and the soft life for me) – sewage work is far dirtier and unpleasant compared with being a bin man…. used to bring a whole new meaning to the phase 'i've had a shitty day at work'

Pigface
    Free Member

My old bin men were ace, they loved our dog and used to bring him those thick rubber gloves to chew. One day we had the whole crew in the garden playing with the dog for about 20 minutes. Our bins were emptied no problem.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

"you do want your fu**ing rubbish collected don't you?"

I didn't even live down the close!!

And you didn't see the potential from this situation?

" I **** dare you, go on, I feckign dare you, you tossers – by the way I live at number 6"
    😈

project
    Free Member

The refuse collecion and recycling operatives must have on of the most thankless jobs ever,theyre out in all weathers collecting waste and now recycling, before it was black bin bags,which got soaking wet, split and where often over filled,left in stupid places etc, and the bin men as they where then called where expected to collect them and deliver them to their vehicle.

Thankfully with the advent of Wheelie bins the spillage and over use of the black bin bag has ended, we now have wide spread recyclingetc.

So a big thank you to the privately owned refuse collection operatives,who do a stirlin job with not much thanks.

tang
    Free Member

still black bags here, too hilly for wheelies. recycling was a doss compared to the bins.

FuzzyWuzzy

They're pretty good near me, usually even do the bin if I forget to move it to the front of the drive (although to be fair it only lives 10 foot back at the end of the drive). My road seems to be the lunchtime stopping place though which is a pain sometimes trying to convince them I need to be able to drive past them to get to my house (or is every road the 'lunch time stopping place'?…).

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member

"you do want your fu**ing rubbish collected don't you?"

I didn't even live down the close!!

And you didn't see the potential from this situation?

" I **** dare you, go on, I feckign dare you, you tossers – by the way I live at number 6"

😆 Might of worked if I wasn't visiting my mum! Didn't want to get the whole Close blacklisted!!

Tim
    Free Member

LHS – Member

Not had my recycling collected for 2 months after I called them a bunch of jobsworths w*****s for not taking a big pile of cardboard i couldn't fit in my bin.

Lesson learned!

Not surprised

You do realise they arent ALLOWED to take your excess rubbish. Loads of cardboard fills up the truck really quickly so thery have to do extra trips. Take it to the tip yourself.

Same reason that loads of sopping wet bin bags arent collected as they mean the vehicle can be up to weight quickly. Meaning more trips.

Double the trips means double the fuel costs – council tax goes up

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

project – Member

So a big thank you to the privately owned refuse collection operatives,who do a stirlin job with not much thanks.

A job with not much thanks ? ……..that'll be because they are privately owned companies.

Back in the days when local authorities did their own refuse collection, LAs were considered to be "model employers".

Then refuse collection went out to tender and private contractors tried to out do each other in keeping wages and conditions down.

I suggest you write a stiffly worded letter to your local authority project, pointing out how detrimental competitive tendering has been for dustmen.

I'm sure your "big thank you" is well appreciated by dustmen, but it hardly pays for the shopping at Tesco – does it ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Dustmen!’ is closed to new replies.