Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Durham- places to practice jumps/drops
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Anyone know of any within rideable (read vvvv close) distance to durham city? Or maybe a small car journey if they were particularly special

Been searching for a while now with no luck 🙁

James

user-removed
    Free Member

Not really – we head to the track at Darlington or Bunnyhill in Hartlepool for full on jump practice. Hamsterley's the place to be though!

Inbred456
    Free Member

There is a BMX track next to Belmont Community Centre opposite Elvet BMW. Hamsterly is the best bet but its a good 40mins by car from Durham City.

Jammy111
    Free Member

ok cheers guys, anyone know of anything at all near to durham. doesnt have to be a full on track thing, but 1 decent drop/jump would be good, just to session

seanodav
    Free Member

Few in chopwell on the powerline trail, not big but jumps all the same. There is a nice drop there too but its in the woods off the waymarked trail.

Me
    Free Member

Go WEST to a WOOD. shhhh

Jammy111
    Free Member

Me- anychance of an email with a location or link to goole maps or something?

Me
    Free Member

Sure, YGM

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Don't know if the chickenfarms are still running. Tow Law BMX track is a car ride away, but in a different league to Belmont.

jonb
    Free Member

Loads, but they're hard to describe.

For drops get yourself to Grey College and st Mary's college or any other urban feature. Just don't get caught!

Plenty of singletrack in the woods starting up near the botanical gardens and heading to the river overlooking Maiden castle rugby pitch. There was plenty in there last time I rode it (2005 :oops:).

Hamsterley, section 13 for jumps.

Tonylem
    Free Member

Chicken run is still there and the farm is not running, but the jumps were a bit trashed when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Still worth a visit for an hours play though, and not far from Durham centre.

gee
    Free Member

There used to be some jumps on the railway embankment slope leading to the Wear. Go along the towpath downstream out of the city and it's just on the left. There are also some good drops around Maiden Castle.

james
    Free Member

Like this big?:

I think I've said it before (to you?), get involved with the cycling club. They can dispense their years of collective 'knowledge'

jamesca
    Free Member

try some street around the city

jamesca
    Free Member

oh and james where is that drop?

james
    Free Member

I didn't build it, so its not really mine to tell ..
    Read the whole thread, there are (deliberate) clues

Jammy111
    Free Member

just got back from the place 'me' suggested. jesus some things there are huuuuuuuggee (see pic, i shat myself just standing on it). Had a good laugh on some of the smaller stuff, but to be honest there isnt much of it, and pretty much all of the jumps are 6ft+ doubles, which if i attempted them would result in carnage and broken bones.

(he missed the backflip no hander, typical 😉 )

jamesca
    Free Member

could someone send me a link or map reference to where that is (promise i will keep it quiet)

Jammy111
    Free Member

YGM

That bmx track at tow law looks good from what i can find on the net. might go check that out later on in the week

jamesca
    Free Member

i've just checked my profile and my email is missing an l of it, it should be democove@googlemail.com

also try around penshaw monument a few drops if you head over the back to a little quarry, also just have a ride around a keep your eyes out for a few other drops/jumps. the place by the chicken farm is okay, which is between chester-le-street and durham follow the signs for the refuse place and just keep on the same road until you see an old chicken farm on your right. there is a place called waterhouses not far from lanchester…..esh winning i think the little hamlet is called, not been for a while tho'

even in the moors above chester-le-street there are a few drops to be found….but no dogging, there is even a sign to say as much!!

deft
    Free Member

Follow the track past the botanical gardens, past the sewage plant, then there's a cheeky drop on the single track to the left a few hundred metres further on

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The spot with the woodwork pictured above is definitely quite hardcore, they're nice woods but not much in the way of easy options. (Especially since the old natural line was designated for MX.)

Anyone else here remember the Durham DH track?

Woody
    Free Member

Can someone send me a map ref to that 'shore stuff please. If it's where I think it is I can't believe I haven't come across it before.

jamesc – if you're coming to have Durham to have a go at those, give me a shout. Email in profile + you have/had my mobile number.

Graeme

jamesca
    Free Member

will do graeme, i still have your number. you'll be pleased to know your board is still going strong, although new bindings are on the "to buy" list for next season

Woody
    Free Member

It's a cracking board. Did you kill the bindings? Unfortunately I only managed 3 days this year 🙁

You planning to take the Big Hit or have you something else now? I've only got hardtails at the mo' but keep threatening to build up the ugly old Trek DH. Then all I'll need is skill and some bottle 😉

See you soon.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Durham- places to practice jumps/drops’ is closed to new replies.