• This topic is empty.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Dunkirk (spoilers within)
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I loved it, especially the soundtrack. Amazing!!

granny_ring

Enjoyed some parts 7/10 from me.
    Preferred the original.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Given the Spitfire was out of fuel, what would have caused it to go up in flames like that…?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Given the Spitfire was out of fuel, what would have caused it to go up in flames like that…?

When the pilot fired the flare into the cockpit to destroy it so it does not fall into the hands of the enemy?

the00
    Free Member

Ok film. Some brilliant elements, but some significant ‘meh’ bits too.

mahalo

The French guy swapping uniforms at the beginning was so obvious and then built up into that needless confrontation

yeah i assumed our young protagonist was fully aware his new mate was a frenchy? the audience were! so that revelation scene bugged me a bit.

I didnt notice any of the continuity errors mentioned but they wring true in hindsight reading this, but i did often wonder where the hell everyone was!! some beaches were desolate!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I don’t mind the inaccuracies it was the fact that it completely failed to deliver the scale of the evacuation and the numbers of casualties that the BEF suffered.

Simple things like the monumental loss of aircraft and ships were not shown/mentioned? Anyone with little knowledge of Dunkirk probably watched and wondered what the fuss was about.

By contrast Saving Private Ryan leaves you in no doubt about what it was like landing on a beach in Normandy

thepurist

Agree with much of the above – if you immerse yourself into it and let the detail wash by then it’s an intense piece of cinema. But then walking out of the cinema the obvious issues mentioned above pop up – one noboduy’s mentioned is the apparently random sea state during the whole thing. I’ve certainly never had a day in the channel where there was so much variation! FWIW I can forgive the gliding spitfire at the end because the time line is so chopped up that there’s no guarantee we’re not seeing the same events from inside & outside the cockpit.

It either needed Ben Hur levels of extras to fill it out or some CGI.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Totally failed for me on many fronts . Failed to convey the scale of the whole thing was it’s biggest failing

Does it have to though? We all know the scale of it. The film concentrates on a small part with overlapping events and characters. They don’t even try to show all of it. And that would have required lots of CGI special effects which ruin films like this. They made it personal, they made it very realistic and they conveyed the slight hopelessness and immense gravity of the situation immensely well. I cried like a baby.

The only thing that bothers me was the Spitfire prop on a broom handle at the end.

joefm

Agreed ^

It isn’t your typical recent war film. More focussed on individuals and I thought they told their stories well and conveyed the emotion well.
    And I’m glad it wasn’t just a 2 hour blood bath to be honest.

A lot of war films weren’t ‘saving private ryan’ all action drama type stuff.

Sundayjumper

The sound was great. My wife jumped EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

😆

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I very nearly left after the first few scenes. I suppose i expected it to be a bit more of a documentary film that it turned out to be. The sound of the German rifle fire was way too loud (I’ve been shot at a number of times), as soon as i heard it i realised what kind of film it was going to be. The rest of it was pure fantasy so if you go expecting that then you’ll be okay with it.
    i spent the final twenty minutes of it with my fingers in my ears as the noise was painful.
    They also managed to make real flying Spitfires look like GCI.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Good to hear some dissent on here. I was underwhelmed by it as well – the PR team did a great job on it but I think it will fade from collective memory very quickly;

The idea of showing the event through some small stories is fine but, as other have already said, it completely failed to give the impression of scale. I don’t understand the lack of CGI, Matte painting backgrounds or even just careful shot framing. The opening scene I thought was very tense but a most of the rest of the film left me a bit bored. The score was overbearing and what little diaglogue there was I found hard to hear.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Also no infantryman would have started running straight down a street if they started getting fired upon, or try and climb a wooden gate in the firing line- I know I need to stop and revert to “a willing suspension of disbelief”

the00
    Free Member

Were they really real flying Spitfires? It looked like one plane copy and pasted twice, wing tip to wing tip.

Sandwich

No mention of the other boy bands that mounted the rearguard. ©The Mash Report.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Only just seen this. While it has flaws, I thought it was tremendous

Special mention to Hans Zimmer’s score, the best since, well, Inception. The weaving of Elgar’s variations into it was brilliant

twonks

I agree Mr Inthepan.

It was a great film, one of if not the best of the year.

I can’t see how it was ever scripted or written to be a full on accurate description of the horror and carnage that no doubt actually happened.

For me it was a cracking film that simply presented the views and actions of a few select people.

More of a leave your brain on the floor and enjoy the spectacle and not trying to capture the event like Saving Private Ryan did etc.

If you expected that then you would be dissapointed, as a few above clearly are.

As for it being too loud – shutup grandad 😆

theotherjonv

watched it monday. As others have said, not a traditional ‘war film’ but a clever piece of story telling, which left those of us that went (wife, daughter and me) in pieces for various reasons. I don’t think it needed scale, it was part of the story that although the numbers were in the 100’s of thousands, every single digit of that was a story – not many of those there for real had a ‘yeah, I was at Dunkirk, went to the beach, got a boat home’ experience, and the 1 week / 1 day / 1 hour time references at the start all coming in together allow you to extrapolate.

My wife is scared of water and found the drowning / sinking scenes terrifying.

And Elgar finished me off….very clever scoring.

DezB
    Free Member

Late to the Dunkirk party, but yesterday it was raining, so we dipped into the cinema, Dunkirk was starting in half hour, booked. Sat, enthralled.
    What a great film. Glad I didn’t go to a Vue cinema with their sound system, cos those Stukas would’ve given me a heart attack !

DezB
    Free Member

Ps. first film in a VERY LONG TIME where I didn’t notice any of the audience, talking, pissing about with their phone or chomping food! Had to be good 🙂

grtdkad

Watched Dunkirk last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fantastic imagery, oppressive soundtrack and claustrophobic drowning scenes.

The hatchet mish-mash timeline was ultimately quite clever and as the purist pointed out …

FWIW I can forgive the gliding spitfire at the end because the time line is so chopped up that there’s no guarantee we’re not seeing the same events from inside & outside the cockpit

…which may have created this apparent 5minute glide. Similarly I assumed we were seeing the same scene from the perspective of the pilot, the jetty, the beach and the boat(s) …

Clever.

BR livery on the railway carriage seats was plain lazy. It wouldn’t have taken much effort to find a more appropriate carriage.

hols2
    Free Member

Was kinda thinking of going to see it, but then I read the summary in the WaPo and remembered how annoying Christopher Nolan and changed my mind:

“Dunkirk” is director Christopher Nolan’s World War II movie about the real-life incident in which Allied forces were surrounded and trapped on Dunkirk beach — and everyday heroes helped rescue them, despite the risk of danger and death. The movie’s war violence is realistic and intense, with heavy bombing and shooting and many deaths (though very little blood). Planes crash in the ocean, ships fill with water and sink, and an oil slick catches fire, burning many soldiers. A teen civilian is injured, and a man walks into the ocean, presumably to commit suicide. Language includes two uses of “f—” and one “Christ,” and there’s one scene with beer. Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy star, but there are many characters, some of whom aren’t clearly distinguished from others. That, plus Nolan’s time-twisting technique, can make the story challenging to follow. But it has messages of bravery, teamwork and sacrifice, and persistent teens and adults will be rewarded with a powerful, visceral experience.

brakes
    Free Member

I went to see it with the entire geriatric population of Johannesburg which I hoped would add to the atmosphere but basically added a background track of Eric shouting at Doris who didn’t know what was going on.

I thought it was a good entertaining immersive visual film, but nothing new and largely forgettable. Whilst there’s not much you can do with the chosen story, it was entirely predictable…. leave your brain at the door.

I’m glad Tom Hardy had the only memorable role. Man-crush still intact.

DezB
    Free Member

..which may have created this apparent 5minute glide.

Bleedin obvious to me.

entertaining immersive visual film

Not sure what else you’d want from a visit to the cinema.

grtdkad

Exactly my point DezB

brakes
    Free Member

entertaining immersive visual film

Not sure what else you’d want from a visit to the cinema.

a more sophisticated plot which isn’t just made more complex by messing with the timeline of subsequent scenes. I appreciate that the story is pretty fixed but the subplots could have been more complex.

DezB
    Free Member

Why? it’s just a war film.
    I’m all for sophisticated, complex films, hate lowest common denominator drivel, but I got more than I expected from a war film with Dunkirk.

seadog101

Left me feeling ‘what was all the fuss about?’. Oddly unconvincing and seemed full of one dimensional characters. I’ll admit it was watched on a small screen, so I can only surmise it was all about the big screen and the visuals. There was little story telling beyond what we know already, and it certainly seemed a lot smaller event than what really happened.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I turned it off after 20 minutes.

dannyh
    Free Member

I watched it for the first time two nights ago. I thought it was pretty good to be honest and I am debating about whether my 9 and 6 year olds could potentially see it over the next few months.

It doesn’t all have to be a shoot em up all the time. The single thing I thought worked really well was how much a lot of the characters seemed to be going “so, what the **** is going on here” as this really was a rout (albeit one that could have gone much worse).

I would have liked to see something about the guys who actually held the perimeter as some of the British troops involved were deliberately left behind to be taken prisoner so the bulk could get away. That is all I would change / add.

Actually, one other thing, wouldn’t the spitfire shooting down the Stuka have been stalled by the recoil from eight brownings?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

It was not a rout….

French; 92,000 killed, 250,000 wounded. c.3,500 casualties per division.
    BEF; 3,457 killed, 13,602 wounded. c.1,700 casualties per division.
    Dutch; 2,157 killed, 6,889 wounded. c.900 casualties per division.

Belgian; 7,500 killed, 15,850 wounded. c.1000 casualties per division.

In 8 weeks give or take 6000 casualties a day

RustyNissanPrairie

Watched it over the hols with my dad. I’d read a few negatives in previous reviews so i think i focused on them – but it started badly when they were walking through the pristine streets of a town that had had the shit bombed out of it.
    Every uniform brand new.
    Modern building in the backgrounds
    Modern promenade furniture
    A complete lack of scale of the whole evacuation
    Considering the budget it was a disapointment.

Wookster

I really enjoyed it. I like the jumbled time line as it added to the confusion of the situation the characters were in. It would have been good to see something of the rear guard, the gliding of the spitfire was a bit much at the end but overall I really enjoyed the film.

dannyh
    Free Member

It was not a rout….

I was talking about the whole of the Fall of France. Which was a rout that ended with a remarkable mix of courage, organisation (as far as possible) and a massive stroke of luck as the Channel calmed to be a millpond where normally quite big rollers go a long way up the beach.

The liaison between the French and the BEF was pretty poor in general and Gamelin and Georges were woeful commanders, basing themselves in hard to contact chateaux and occasionally breaking down in tears in front of subordinates.

None of which detracts from the individual acts of courage such as Fairey Battles conducting suicidal raids against the Meuse bridges, for example.

windyg
    Free Member

Just got around to watching this, good film but no masterpiece.
    I thought start was poor it gave you no real impression of the desperation of trying to escape the Germans and get home & the empty beaches when in reality these were jam packed, as was the shoreline with boats already sunken or damaged.
    I was expecting some epic explosion when the oil caught fire.
    The spitfire scene at the end was pretty poor.
    I actually like how the 3 timelines were done and visually it was fantastic.
    The stand out role for me was the father on the boat.

vongassit
    Free Member

I thought it was terrible ,it felt like a low budget small independent production. Yeah I know blaring sound & mega special effects & car chases do not make a good film (shudder Michael Bay).

The scale just felt wrong half a dozen boats , a Stuka & 3 spitfires. One of which can fly for 10 mins after running out of fuel pffft.

I honestly was left with a feeling of disbelief at the end of how it had a score of 9.0 on imdb.

Maybe I just dont know a good film 😐

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The stand out role for me was the father on the boat.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0753314/
    Rylance was outstanding in it, as good as I have seen in many ways.
    For me it was a great film, immersive and compelling, the timelines worked really well for me as it meant the story could play out for each of the sub plots individually rather than having to resolve them there and then, the Spitfire into the sea being taken care of later meant we could continue with Tom Hardy and his journey of not knowing what was happening to the other pilot.
    It made an immense story and huge scale evacuation very personal and for me made you care more about the individuals in there and how they reacted and experienced it all. Maybe if I watched it again I would see some of the inaccuracies and continuity problems others have posted but it carried me along well enough that they were not what I was looking for or saw. Nolan is on fine form there and I’m tempted to go and watch memento again now

mooman
    Free Member

Was watchable; not great … certainly no Saving Private Ryan.

Very British low budget feel about it.

finishthat
    Free Member

The 1958 film was on over the break , watching the new one just showed how
    good the original was. Not very impressed by the new one, I felt the timeline playing was heavy handed rather than skilled , there was a story there but it was not told.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Dunkirk (spoilers within)’ is closed to new replies.