Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • DT Swiss 350’s
  • fathomer

I’m looking at having a set of LB carbon rims built up. Was planning on using Hope Pro2’s but quite a few threads on here suggest that the 350’s are a bit better.

Is it much of a muchness, they cost and weigh about the same? I’ve had a couple of small issues with the Pro2’s I already own, but nothing that new bearings or Hope haven’t sorted quickly.

What about 240’s? Is there much of a benefit other than the weight, about 70g, considering there nearly twice the price?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

240s are the same as 340s apart from the outer shells where the 240s are made in Swizerland and the 340s in taiwan or somewhere similar with cheap labour.

They are (both) nicer than Hopes and as versatile in that there are multiple axles etc that are interchangeable.

If you are going to fork out for 240’s though, Kings aren’t much more expensive (axle dependant) as there are some great deals on Kings out there.

The Kings are in a different league all together.

stevied
    Free Member

Very happy with my 350’s on my new wheels. Run smooth and very quiet. Something I wasn’t used to with my Pro3Am4’s.
    One thing to be aware of is there are 2 different front hubs. One accommodates 20mm, the other doesn’t.
    CRC have the 20mm one on offer: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-350-disc-front-hub/rp-prod130125
    Got my rear hub from Germany as it was the cheapest when combined with the spokes I wanted.

Northwind

350 is just a wee bit heavier but otherwise equivalent to 240. I went with used 240s instead, cheaper still and they’ll go on forever. Bought 26 inch wheels and scrapped them for the hubs.

swanny853

I thought the 350 front hubs didn’t convert? That was the only thing that put me off them.

One alternative I’d looked at was the superstar switch ultra lite- only goes up as far as 15mm and weighs about the same as a 240, cheaper than the lot. SS front hubs have been fine for me in the past.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Kings are in a different league all together.

They come with a free boat anchor too. (Compared to a 240).

amedias
    Free Member

I’d take the 350’s over Hope, more reliable and better freehub design, but stick the upgraded ratchets in if you get annoyed by slow pickup (some do some don’t)

I’d take 240’s over the CKs too (owned and worked on numerous examples of both), lighter, simpler, just as good performance wise and need less regular maintenance.

If only they did 240’s in pretty colours…

One alternative I’d looked at was the superstar switch ultra lite- only goes up as far as 15mm and weighs about the same as a 240, cheaper than the lot. SS front hubs have been fine for me in the past.

This is also not a bad idea for the front if you’re not bothered about non-matching hubs, there’s not much to go wrong in a front hub so any decent shell coupled with decent bearings will do fine, easy swap adaptors on the SS/Novatec options and very good value for money, even if the OEM bearings don’t last as long pop decent ones in later if needed

swanny853

Aye, the only thing that annoys me about the SS front hub is that I have a second hand 240 ready to go into a rear wheel, but it’s centrelock. I could cope with mismatched hubs but idea of mismatched brake standards, for some reason, really irritates me.

A 350 CL for the front would be fine, but the conversion thing annoys me. Does anyone know if I could just swap out the innards at a later date for the bits from a 240?

fathomer

Thanks for the responses.

Hub’s will have to match, don’t ask why as there really isn’t a logical reason.

The conversion thing isn’t a massive issue, unless the industry decide to make a 17.5mm axle or something daft.

350’s are looking favorite unless I can pick some cheap 240’s up as suggested by Northwind.

Northwind

fathomer – Member

The conversion thing isn’t a massive issue, unless the industry decide to make a 17.5mm axle or something daft.

Well you had to say it didn’t you.

swanny853

Based on recent trends wouldn’t it be 17mm?

Speshpaul

Or you totally sure SSC don’t do 20mm adaptors for the switch hub?
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/switch-front-adaptor.htm

they sold me some last week.

swanny853

There’s a switch that takes 20mm and then a switch lite which only goes to 15 and is a fair bit lighter as a result.

hatter

Worth mentioning that as well as the lighter hub shells and axles that have been mentioned above, the 240’s also get upgraded to stainless steel bearings.

tomaso
    Free Member

This Polish shop does great deals on DT bikestacja

oliverd1981
    Free Member

That 350 looks like a good deal – looks like a spot of 26″ wheelbuilding might be on the cards 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 350’s’ is closed to new replies.