Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • DSLR extra bits?
  • matt_outandabout

So thinking that a case/bag and a filter (polarised) would be useful…what else?

New to DSLR – K100D – and have a tripod, and lens hood, but nowt else.

STATO
    Free Member

Well if youve not got one get a UV (clear) filter to protect your lens, then a polariser is nice but i dont use mine that much. Remote is good if you can get one, not just for self portraits but for playing with long exposures.

billysugger
    Free Member

Spare battery

bigyinn
    Free Member

Get a decent 50mm f 1.8 lens for it. You’ll get far better image quality and good action and low light shots. Speaking of which, a solid tripod is very useful too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sorry you already have a tripod. Doh.

Cougar

Get a case before you get anything else.

Well if youve not got one get a UV (clear) filter to protect your lens,

I’d say the opposite, personally.

I love my circular polariser. ND grad filter is probably the next filter I’ll get.

Cheaper accessories: remote release, lenspen, microfibre cloth, battery, SD, a Pod, batteries, SD cards…

TBH though, I’d say forget all the tat and save up for a flash and a decent tripod.

Cougar

Sorry you already have a tripod. Doh.

+1, oops.

matt_outandabout

Batteries: takes AA 🙂
    Not thought about cleaning bits – will sort.
    How does a remote release attach? Not sure mine will take one…

Any suggestions for a small pouch/bag to carry the thing in? Cheap ebay job?

Decent tripod – I have one, someone left one at work last year and I bought it out our lost property at Christmas for £1 🙂

grahamh
    Free Member

No one have mentioned a decent external flash.

Cougar

Ahem.

igm

As well as my proper tripod, I got a Jessops own brand table top tripod – a fairly solid one (they vary a lot). Fits in the camera bag and means I’ve always got some sort of tripod when I have the SLR out.

Depends what you are doing with your camera – I’ve had mine 4 months and not used the onboard flash yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the filter. I did, then kept noticing lens flare and whatnot. Then I realised that with even the most rudimentary care it’s easy to keep the lens safe.

A tilt and swivel flashgun is a pretty good investment if you want to take photos indoors (of course). Not so cheap tho.

My circular polariser doesn’t seem to do much on my DSLR – I had one on my film camera and loved it to bits *shrug*.

Tripod – not particularly useful outside of special situations I don’t reckon.

After a nice bag (any will do there are millions) and perhaps a flash, a fast prime lens will be good for you.

But really you don’t need any of it – get camera, get out and take pics.

meehaja
    Free Member

cheap extension rings are fun for playing with Macro. Cheap old lenses off ebay, I think pentax lenses are pretty much all interchangeable.

matt_outandabout

Aye, cheap old prime is on the birthday list….Another reason I went Pentax was cheap old lenses fit….

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheap slave flash. I can’t live without my flashes.
    Shame you don’t have a Canon as I’ve got a 28mm prime for sale.

Seconded a nice s/h prime – I have the benefit of being able to use old Minolta glass, having a Sony. The 50mm f1.7 I bought for £65 recently is lovely – nice solid metal body, lovely colour and….. the Bokeh!!!!

My new tripod is waiting for me at home – I think this will reap many rewards for my photography.

Cougar

Shame you don’t have a Canon as I’ve got a 28mm prime for sale.

How much, out of interest?

DrJ

Tripod – not particularly useful outside of special situations I don’t reckon.

Not useful except if you want to take photos with best sharpness that your camera is capable of.

donsimon
    Free Member

How much, out of interest?

110 of your English pounds plus P&P, I might even throw in a Tamron 28-300mm for and extra 20GBP, might…. 😀

Cougar

Hm.

What’s the speed of it?

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s the speed of it?

Eh?
    Here’s the ad.

Cougar

Ah, right. F/2.8, then. Gonna say, if it was the F/1.8 I’d have torn your arm off.

Good lens, reasonable price, but I’m not sure I can really justify it to myself at the minute. Cheers for the info though.

donsimon
    Free Member

If it was the f1,8 it would have been priced a touch higher.
    It’s a cracking lens and lived on the camera before the 17-40, almost all my cycling shots were done with this lens. The zoom gives a bit more flexibility and the L counts for quite a lot.
    If you were close to Chester I could have let you have a little play with it.

Cougar

I’m fairly close to Chester. (-:

TBH, I’d love to take it off your hands, but due to a number of factors I’ve got very little disposable income at the moment.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m fairly close to Chester. (-:

Looks like you’ve just saved yourself the P&P. 😉

Cougar

You’re a bad man.

(-:

donsimon
    Free Member

You’re a bad man.

Not the first time I’ve heard that. 😈
    It’s just gone on Gumtree, I’ll see what happens there.

ski
    Free Member

One thing I always have with me is a decent sized Pentax lens cleaning cloth, I still have a large one which I use to wrap my standard lens in in my bag, its lasted me years!

Decent Lens hood is another must not forget too for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not useful except if you want to take photos with best sharpness that your camera is capable of

It’s a hell of a lot of faff for what is really a tiny improvement in overall image quality. If you are taking landscapes or still lifes, sure, but it does depend heavily on the kind of photography you are going for and the situations in which you find yourself.

AlexSimon

The first things I bought were:
    (had a tripod)
    Spare battery
    Spare card
    Lens cloth
    Loweprow Slingshot bag
    50mm f1.8 lens
    70-300 lens
    Adobe Lightroom
    Remote shutter release
    Remote flash triggers
    Cheap manual flash + gorillapod to go with it
    Cokin system with Polarising filter and ND Grad filter
    Large cheap ebay reflector
    Large cheap ebay light tent
    Then replaced kit lens with an upgrade.

—-

I now use the flash stuff a lot more than the filters.
    I use the light tent quite a bit for product photography.

Very rarely can be bothered with tripod unless in a studio-type setup. Very rarely can be bothered with Cokin. Too much faff.
    Tend to use timer function rather than remote release.

A tripod is a must for me as I want to play with long exposures.

molgrips
    Free Member

Since we are listing stuff, my purchases were as follows, in rough order:

Olympus E-600 DSLR
    8Gb memory card
    Small shoulder bag
    40-150mm lens (cos it was on offer)
    Polarising filter
    Spare memory card
    70-300mm lens (cos the 150 wasn’t long enough for wildlife)
    Large rucksack to store it all in
    Monopod
    35mm macro lens
    Tilt/swivel flash
    Smallest bag that would fit the camera (so I could put it in the camelbak)
    Wrist strap (to enable getting the camera out quickly and putting it away)
    25mm pancake lens
    8mm fisheye
    30mm f1.4 (those three were me going a bit mental on ebay)
    Even smaller bag to accomodate camera + pancake
    Shoulder bag with room for two lenses and camera and guidebooks, maps etc for tourist purposes
    Tripod
    Ring light for macro work

lodious
    Free Member

Not the most exciting purchase, but after using the straps which came with the camera for years, getting an R-Strap has made a massive difference to the perceived weight of the camera. I even took a medium format film camera on a two mile walk without feeling it was a problem. There are also cheaper copies available for £20ish.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

This might do the trick for carrying and protection, pretty good price I reckon Bag

Lenspen or cloth and spare batteries/memory card are a good start and remote release too

Could buy no end of stuff, but get taking some pictures first, not a bad idea to get some sort of processing software, Photoshop Elements is as good as anything for the money

Tripod – not particularly useful outside of special situations I don’t reckon

That is one of the worst bits of advice I have ever heard someone give to a photography newcomer

molgrips
    Free Member

£60 for a strap?!

petrieboy

A 50mm prime lens, decent speed lite flash and cheap remote triggers from deal extreme. Must get camera out this week.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not really into this remote flash business so far, tbh.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘DSLR extra bits?’ is closed to new replies.