Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • DSLR back to compact thoughts?
  • aviemoron
    Free Member

I always use a DSLR and apart from the odd portability issues (quick jaunts on bike or impromptu adventures with kids) will always try and lug it along. However, I have missed shots by not having a handy compact always on me; so what should I be looking at? Must have RAW, some manual control and a fast lens. Not too bothered by "mega" zooms, HD vid or gimmicks, metal sealed body (as DSLR) would be good also. Price – £400ish and maybe a little bit more!

dave_aber
    Free Member

G10 or G11

clydebuilt
    Free Member

same sort of issues, got a Ricoh GX100, sorted:)

jmann
    Free Member

Just bought a Fuji S200EXR….the best bridge camera available by reviews. All the good bits of a DSLR, but my compact!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I've gone from a Nikon D100 to a Canon G10 and it's brilliant in many of the ways you say you need. I particularly like the fact that you have complete manual control over shutter, apeture, exposure compensation and ISO and that the dials for these are all on the camera body. The lens is reasonably fast – f2.8-5.4 and it shoots in RAW. The new G11 is around £500 but if you could find a G10, then most likely it will be sub £400.

5thElefant
    Free Member

same sort of issues, got a Ricoh GX100, sorted:)

Got my dad one for christmas. It's a nice bit of kit.

I'd look at an olympus pen as an alternative to a dslr personally though.

grumm
    Free Member

Canon S90 for even more compact :want:

garyfisher
    Free Member

Second Canon S90 – gets a good write-up by Ken Rockwell

HTTP404
    Free Member

Must have RAW

Fuji S200EXR? Canon S90? …. Really?

Canon G10 or G11 – the de facto standard for compacts.

Ricoh GX100 or GX200. GX100 can be found for bargain prices. V. Small and light.

Sigma DP1 or DP2 – fixed lens and not that quick so more suited to landscape.

Nikon P6000 – quality bit of kit. overshadowed by the canon G10/G11 consequently can be found cheaper.

Olympus Pen EP1 – hybrid. Pricey but versatile. Perhaps not really a compact.

Olympus C8080 – no longer produced and can be had for bargain prices on the bay.

And almost forgot – Panasonic LX3

craig1975
    Free Member

I had the same problem as you, so went for a small digital compact Panasonic no. but found it was very limiting after using my DSLR… so I had a look around again and decided on a Canon G series model, I managed to picked up a Canon G9 cheapish second hand, 12.1 mega pixels.. which is more than enough for printing up to A3, great handling camera much like a SLR with excellent results, multi-shot on fast moving stuff is a bit poor, but I think that's compact camera thing, I also unexpectedly find myself using the video feature on it quite a lot, well worth checking out

grumm
    Free Member

Must have RAW

Fuji S200EXR? Canon S90? …. Really?

What's your point? Both of them do.

cp

i carry a compact with me all the time – canon ixus 55. the slr goes when i know it might be needed.

so my answer is have both – you'll miss the slr soooo much if you get rid

dave_aber
    Free Member

Placebo SECC Dec 09

G10 Video performance, in the dark. Just an experiment, but I was pleasantly surprised. As long as you don't zoom too far, the stabilisation is pretty good too. You can see the difference just before the end of this clip, when I zoom back a wee bit.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Panasonic LX3

got one, lovely piece of kit – I really need to RTFM though as I do mostly just 'point and shoot'……
    I went from it over the G10 having been advised by a bloke I trust and who is very familiar with both…
    If I could only locate the sodding card reader I'd post a few shots up from walks this last few days….

Only thing I don't like – and I think it's a curse of all compacts (?) – shutter lag…. oh, and it has a tendency (i my eyes at least) to go mad with saturation on reds….

Right, packing me bag now, taking the D300 out to play in the snow….. 😀

edit –

have both – you'll miss the slr soooo much if you get rid

+1

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and I think it's a curse of all compacts (?) – shutter lag

I just bought my g/f a Casio FC100, 30 frames per second with pre trigger so it captures frames before you press the button 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm pancake, I'm gagging for one!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Panasonic Lumix LX3 here. It gets used way more then the D300

HTTP404
    Free Member

What's your point? Both of them do.

It was a question and not a point.

I was unclear on the canon having RAW format. But for sure the F200EXR doesn't.

ski
    Free Member

another vote for having a look at the Ricoh Gx100 series

grumm
    Free Member

But for sure the F200EXR doesn't.

How about the S200EXR which is the one we were talking about? 😉

.duncan
    Free Member

I would stay away from the Fuji.. i see way to many of them coming back at work.

I myself own an S90 and in RAW its capable of holding a load of detail :

IMG_1392

4/365

are from the past few days.

simon_g

Went from a DSLR to a G9. No regrets at all.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Cheers all, much as I thought; G10, LX3, S90, PEN, Sx100, DP1/2. Need to get hands on and judge from there. Ref, those that say DSLR you'll miss it, well better to have a camera on you than none and one handed use of a D200 with fast glass/battery pack/flash not that easy with a toddler in tow!

HTTP404
    Free Member

Grumm – oic!!

S200EXR looks like my old Fuji S5600. The new EXR sensors are meant to be very good. But might be a little to big too be called compact.

And aviemoron, if you like the PEN you might want to check out the Panasonic GF1. Similar sort of thing with the added advantage of a built in flash.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Similar sort of thing with the added advantage of a built in flash.

ie the worst possible place to put a flash ?

Bez

Built in flash is fine for fill-in if you take the occasional daylight portrait. Not much else though. Main advantage of the GF1 over the EP1/2 is better AF, by all accounts.

Take a look at the Ricoh GRD3 as well. Same sensor as the S90 and G11, sharper lens (though no zoom if that's a bother) and more control with some really nice manual/semi-manual/fixed-focus features as well as a lot of configurability and IMO better handling than the S90.

Also there's the new Casio which has an impressive feature set including DNG raw output and a 24mm wide end.

Twodogs

I've got the Olympus Pen as a more convenient thing to carry round than my Canon DSLR…really like it, loads of control. they only think you might not like is the lack of a viewfinder..try it and see

Chainline
    Free Member

Yep, LX3 here, after much use of a G9, don't get rid of the DSLR and for the person who mentioned it, switch the focus to High speed and you lose the shutter lag, also if you choose multi shot, who said RTFM….. 😉

theginjaninja
    Free Member

G10/11, EP-2/1, GF-1, Richo GR Digital or Sigma DP-2

shoei
    Free Member

MrNutt
    Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm pancake, I'm gagging for one!!

I went from a D80 to the GF1, loving it as the McD's advert says.
    The 20mm lens is a cracker plus it shoots RAW which i like.
    Gets carried everywhere now.

Bit more expensive than the op is looking at paying buts a stonking camera.

Ewok
    Free Member

Which of the decent compacts is best for lack of shutter lag?

What is the focus defaulting to, other than high speed chainline?

Ken rockwell likes the s90, but the reg said it was suffering from a slow shutter.

Bez

Which of the decent compacts is best for lack of shutter lag?

Can't speak for the others but the Ricohs all support multiple modes: contrast-detection AF (same as any compact, slower than some, noticeable lag), manual (no lag) and fixed (2.5m or infinity; no lag). The older ones (GX100, GRD1) have phase-detection AF which has virtually no lag and the newer ones (GRD3, CX2) have the ability to set various fixed-focus points as well as a fixed point for a full shutter press in AF, again both as good as no lag. Fixed-focus modes are extremely useful on a small sensor thanks to the large DOF – at 28mm equivalent you're verging on hyperfocal by the time you get to f/4 or so.

nickhart
    Free Member

canon sx1 350 with cash back from canon offer may be over now though so 400. raw compatible if you update the software. incredible zoom range and 0cm macro.
    bought one before christmas, piece of p*ss to use and fantastic shots to be had. auto or manual modes and so many functions you'll never miss the dslr.
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75386/show.html

Bez

Oh and never forget that although the S90 is a good camera, Ken Rockwell spouts utter tripe and his articles are a broad mixture of widely known information, strong opinions and outright factual errors.

heihei

Another vote for GF1 +20mm here. Simply awesome.

lorax

My first response to the same problem was a Canon G10, which I'm still extremely happy with, but having decided to try a completely different approach I'm increasingly pleased with my Minolta CLE

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Oh and never forget that although the S90 is a good camera, Ken Rockwell spouts utter tripe and his articles are a broad mixture of widely known information, strong opinions and outright factual errors.

Amen to that. Worth reading for a laugh sometimes though.

Have a look at the words of a Mr Thom Hogan. He speaketh the truth.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Have a look at the words of a Mr Thom Hogan. He speaketh the truth.

but only talks about Nikon…

Bez

Darn you Lorax, I want a CL now.

Chainline
    Free Member

I wanted a GF but I really want a GF with a viewfinder, no one makes my ideal camera yet apart from the Leica M8, far too much money though. If only the GF-1 had a nice Leica quality viewfinder I'd be in heaven.

THE LX3 supports a number of focus modes but defaults to multi area, move the toggle up in a non full auto mode to change it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘DSLR back to compact thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.