Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Dropping to 31:16?
  • Militant_biker

Currently running 32:16 on the SS (26″), but round here I’m finding the sudden, sharp technical climbs are a bit much (more used to long, steady climbs). My all day riding ability seems compromised as these short blasts are taking so much out of my legs.

So I was thinking of dropping to a 31:16, as I have a nice 16T White Industries freewheel that I don’t want to change. Apart from the obvious, will the 1.6″ difference in gear change much? Anybody done it?

Or should I just MTFU and get better at powering up things?

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

MTFU

Or a 17 at the back might make life easier. I’d go with the former option 🙂

Militant_biker

I want to keep the 16T freewheel… 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

What cranks are you using? I may be wrong here, but for everything except old school compact drive 5 bolt cranks, I think a 32T ring is the smallest you can fit in the middle ring position.

So, sell the 16T and get a 17, or even 18T for more gearing options.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Only one thing for it. Ride more.

Militant_biker

mboy – Middleburn RS8 Uno – can get custom 31 tooth rings 🙂

Surrounded By Zulus – partly the problem, I’m riding about every other day now. Can’t work (visa restrictions) so I spend the days riding/building trails…

mboy
    Free Member

mboy – Middleburn RS8 Uno – can get custom 31 tooth rings

In that case I think you’ve already decided to do it then haven’t you! 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

longer crank arms?

Militant_biker

Not necessarily mboy, I know it’s possible to get a 31t, which is why I’m considering it, but the forcing myself up hills by brute force alone is an appealing option (in an odd way)

Scienceofficer – number of pedal strikes I’ve had since coming here say no! Plus a new ring is cheaper than longer arms.

The main problem is that I consider anything less than 2:1 a girls gear :-/

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m riding a girl’s gear. I tried a boy’s gear but it hurt too much. 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nowt girlie about less that 2:1. I tried everything from 32:14 to 32:22 and find that 32:22 is my fastest option.

firestarter
    Free Member

cant see 1.6″ making a difference tbh just ride it more 😉

if you did drop to 32/17 its a 3.1″ drop btw

maxray
    Free Member

32:22

Surely that’s just spin out city?

I thought the whole point of singlespeeding was MTFU’ing and giving it beans up hills?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m currently on 32:20 and on the occasional flat pedally section’s it’s spin-tastic, although I can now manage to twitch at 120rpm! It was much better at 32:17.

But with 32:17 I could not lever the bars and pedals apart on my usual off-road climbs and was doing too much walking – boring. At 32:20 I can just about do it, and it’s getting out of breath and needing to rest that is a problem, i.e. no problem.

Downhill it makes not an iota of difference – I’m just learning not to brake.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I initially tried 32:16 but found that a bit tough for my old/unfit legs and lungs so went to 32:18. That was noticebly better on the climbs and just about ok (if a bit slow) on flat sections. 32:20 or 32:22 I’d have thought too low to be reasonably useable – not downhill (MTB singlespeed gearing seems to be too low for there to be any point pedalling downhill, even with 32:16) but because they’re too low for any kind of speed on flat sections.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

maxray – Think what gear you’d be pushing if you were on a geared bike.

Coming down hill there are more ways to gain speed other than pedalling.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“there are more ways to gain speed other than pedalling”

Indeed, and not being able to pedal faster than 15mph makes you a) not ever brake unless desperate, b) pump every small down slope.

“32:20… too low for any kind of speed on flat sections”

Agreed and I’m having to learn to enjoy the scenery in those situations. Mostly this isn’t a problem around here though – it’s either up or down.

I am hoping to move up a gear as I get more experience. but I’m in no hurry.

oxym0r0n

32:17 here for the Quantocks 😐

leggyblonde
    Free Member

try a skinnier rear tyre? it will reduce the gear inches

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

32:22 does sound madly low. You must have a crazily fast cadence if you find that comfortable. I tried 32:18 and gave up on it as I was spinning out on the flat.

Out of interest, Is that on a 26er or 29er?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

26″ for 32:22. Instead of the fast cadence, it might simply be bigger hills that I ride. I can happily spin up to 200rpm if needs must though.

I enjoy it, it works for me and that’s all that matters. I can ride as low as 32:14 round Innerleithen or GT relatively easily, just find 32:22 faster and easier – double bonus.

GW
    Free Member

FFS no one’s going to care if you just get off and push.

Militant_biker

The only situation I’m spinning out here is on the roads, and the occasional doubletrack downhill. 95% of the riding is singletrack, so I’m not too worried about that. It’d be $50 whether I get a 30t or a 31t, so want to get it right! Hmmm…

Thanks for your thoughts 🙂

And GW – I care!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run 32:16 on my SS and find it most exhilarating

schmiken

Ned Overend ran 34:21 on a 29er for the National SS Champs – works out to just 47 inches. Roughly equivalent to 32:18 on a 26″.

Oh, and he won!

P.S. If you want to run the same gearing you’d need a 29T ring on the front…..

Militant_biker

schmiken – I had seen the review of his bike, but completely missed the ratio (or rather, read it but never thought to think about it!) so thanks for that.

Here is definitely not straight up – straight down, so 29:16 might be excessive. 30:16 could be the one.

Still hmmmm…debits

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Dropping to 31:16?’ is closed to new replies.