Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Dropper seatposts. Worth it?
  • littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Who’s bought one? Are they worth the money?

I’m tempted, as I am riding a lot at the moment, and I’m thinking it would be more convenient, but they do cost quite a bit, so was curious to see if people thought they were worth it.

vondally
    Free Member

had three on and off

speedball
    garvity dropper
    joplin

peopel will tell you they are great and yes you can ride the trail without stopping, the most reliable of the above waas the speedball.

me I am happy with the faff free qr seat collar!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yep – I’ve had 2 reverbs and just ordered a lev.

It’s well worth it if you can afford it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Very much depends on your riding. If you’re a weekend XC warrior, and do bridleways and non techy stuff, then no. If you’re into more technical stuff, and your rides consist of lots of ups and lots of interesting downs, then yes. It will allow your riding to flow more, without stopping to put your seat down.

vixalot
    Free Member

I love mine ( KS LEV ) you can be whizzing as fast as your little legs will go and just drop it a bit for those steep or bumpy bits when you need bike moving around room 😀 then just pop it back up, (I made a little waterproof tube thing that hangs under the seat and covers the seat post to keep the wet/mud off it)

IHN

I have to say, after the first use in anger of mine last night, yes and yes.

If you’re a weekend XC warrior, and do bridleways and non techy stuff,

This is me, I am an admitted mincer. However, last night I used mine in two places where I knew I would (one steep fairly techy bit, one shallower but still fast, long and reasonably techy bit) and it was as good as I expected. Where I hadn’t expected it to be so good was on the stuff that before was just ‘normal’ descents. On these, dropping the post to the half-way stage just gave so much more room and made them much more fun.

And the fact that you can adjust it on the fly is brilliant.

FWIW, this was all on a hardtail, and using an £85 TMARS post from eBay.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I think it would be more enjoyment of descents that would sway me towards it, not having to stop and put the seat down etc.

Any recommendations between £100-£250?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Has to be a KS Lev or Reverb. Both can be had for under £250 easily.

My reverbs were £160-80 and the Lev £215 all from bikesiscount.de

IHN

I think (and I’m prepared to be told otherwise) that for £100-£250 you’ll be buying an expensive version of the TMARS one (IceLift, FORCA and others are all just rebadged TMARS posts)

Over £250 you’re looking Reverbs etc.

Honestly, I can’t recomend the TMARS one enough, I’m not sure why anything else is worth more money.

soobalias
    Free Member

ive got a reverb on my FS and its ‘ok’

to be honest when im riding something that requires the saddle dropped, it doesnt tend to be on a flowy xc ride

i found it nice to have, at CyB the other week, but more so that i can raise the saddle when i realise that the trial isnt as steep/techy as i thought it might be.

bspoked
    Free Member

For me it is where you are blasting down a trail with the seat low, popping off things, drops etc. and are suddenly faced with a big hill. Stood up you power into it, aiming for the top. Half way up, you realise you are not going to make it, instead of failing, seat comes up, handful of gears and spin over the top. Carry on the ride.

The other advantage is that I now run my seat higher at the top of its travel than I ever did with a fixed post. No need to compromise pedalling efficiency so that it is right 90% of the time any more.

Mackem

I recently got a KS dropzone for 140 quid from bikediscount.de – I love it. You dont realise how much in the way the seat is on a rocky descent until it’s not.

superhooper

I have been running one for about a year. I was skeptical when I first bought one. I bought it to see what the fuss was about with the idea to sell it if I didn’t get on with it. I can honestly say it has transformed my riding. I use it way more than I ever thought I would.

Most of the time I only drop it a couple of centimeters so I would recommend one which is infinitely adjustable

geetee1972
    Free Member

Personally I am of the opinion that everyone, even the XC mincer on a bridleway, can benefit from a dropper post.

It’s not just about riding steep techy stuff; I use mine on fast, flat and twisty sections just as much as on steeper stuff.

Dropping your post allows you to lower your centre of gravity and that allows you to corner faster. It also allows you to move the bike around underneath you more effectively.

Plus it’s very handy when you stop for a rest. I routinely drop mine to make sitting while stationary more comfortable.

5thElefant
    Free Member

They allow you to get on and off in a dignified fashion too.

IHN

You dont realise how much in the way the seat is on a rocky descent until it’s not.

This

I bought it to see what the fuss was about with the idea to sell it if I didn’t get on with it.

This

I can honestly say it has transformed my riding. I use it way more than I ever thought I would.

After one use, very probably this.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What he ^^ said

michaelbowden

Plus it’s very handy when you stop for a rest. I routinely drop mine to make sitting while stationary more comfortable.

It’s not just me then :o)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

yes and that ^^ !!!

IHN

I routinely drop mine to make sitting while stationary more comfortable.

Hmmm, interesting… 🙂

jskiffin
    Free Member

I have a Joplin 4, best thing I ever bought.

Depends on what you are doing, flats, XC, etc… not really worth it.

If you’re into the rougher stuff, ups, downs and spot of technical to boot it’s a god send.

fathomer

As many others have said, I got mine to see what all the fuss is about (2nd hand Hilo) and can honestly say it’s some of the best biking money I’ve spent. On anything that points slightly down, having the saddle out of the way makes a big difference.

D0NK

On anything that points slightly down, having the saddle out of the way makes a big difference

I wonder how many dropper evangelists never dropped their saddle previously because they didn’t want to stop and mess about with QRs.

IHN

I wonder how many dropper evangelists never dropped their saddle previously because they didn’t want to stop and mess about with QRs

*waves*

bigjim

I find it strange that people are new to dropping their saddles! I found a Joplin 4 for £80 so I’ve joined the dropper crowd. No way I was going to pay for a reverb but at that price I thought it was worth a punt.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I wonder how many dropper evangelists never dropped their saddle previously because they didn’t want to stop and mess about with QRs.

Guilty as charged. I often don’t drop when I should, because I don’t want to stop and faff. Hence my thinking I would enjoy descents more, particularly techy ones.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I resisted for a long time but the meta AM came with one. Few months later I got one for the on-one as well. Once you get one you’ll most likely be a convert. Only bike that doesn’t have one is the XC, never dropped the saddle.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its interesting that now pretty much everyone is singing the benefits, but when they were first out lots were saying you dont need them or why dont you just use your QR.

But they were probably the same luddites who reckoned discs wouldnt catch on, or suspension 🙂

Even for mincing XC bimbles I use mine, Ive even dropped it for jumping off kerbs !

nickc

Tried one, made little difference to my riding.

Lucky for me I’ve got long legs, throwing the bike around under me Isn’t an issue

matther01
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with my reverb and the bleeding of it…but my LEV is awesome and relatively faff free.

Trimix
    Free Member

If you want to lower your COG you will need a dropper, hanging off the back moves it back more than drops it.

If you get one, get one with a remote lever so its easy to use. Grabbing your saddle lever just before you roll into a difficult drop is asking for trouble.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

How faff free are they to fit?

Mackem

Depends on the post. For me – Lever on bar. Stick post in (take time to get the maximum height spot on). Zip-tie cables to existing rear brake hose. All done – no hassle at all.

mattjg
    Free Member

(yes)

gt way up there ^^ has it spot on, it’s not just for steeps

gamechanger IMO

mattjg
    Free Member

Where I hadn’t expected it to be so good was on the stuff that before was just ‘normal’ descents. On these, dropping the post to the half-way stage just gave so much more room and made them much more fun.

Drop the post the bike takes off, at least it feels that way to me. It lowers the COG and also makes you get your fat **** off the saddle. (I don’t mean OP’s ****, on which I can’t comment, I mean generically).

D0NK

Its interesting that now pretty much everyone is singing the benefits, but when they were first out lots were saying you dont need them or why dont you just use your QR.

waves 🙂 I always thought they were a fantastic idea but too expensive, too heavy and probably (from early reports) too much faff (wobbly, worn parts etc) I did manage to get hold of a second hand one (and one day I may pay for it) and maintain my original argument but I’m thinking they may still be worth the all £s gs and faff, I’ve even been looking at new reverbs

Routes you know QRs are fine, you’ll stop and chat at the top, drop your saddle confident in the knowledge the benefits of lower CoG will outweigh the gimped pedalling. On routes you don’t know your saddle will constantly be at the wrong height. Plus of course there’s the social aspect, if you’re riding with a group of rich buggers dropper enthusiasts then you’re either gonna be miles behind or doing a lot of pedalling stood up or descents with the saddle in the way.

IHN

But they were probably the same luddites who reckoned discs wouldnt catch on, or suspension

*waves* 🙂

Tried one, made little difference to my riding.

Lucky for me I’ve got long legs, throwing the bike around under me Isn’t an issue

See, this is why I reckon it’s such a boon. I too am a gangly-legged gimp, which means my saddle is really high in order to get a decent leg extension for pedalling and gives little room for moving around. A dropper means I can, well, drop it out of the way.

How faff free are they to fit?

I stripped mine down to have a look at the internals, but that was more out of curiosity than necessity. Without doing that, it would be faff free as Mackem said.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Given its friday and I’m bored at work, I’ve just bought a Hilo online (on sale – carpe diem and all that). Will see how it goes….

probably got some zip ties around somewhere, I like the idea of the remote dropper.

@mattig – well worded! 😀

jairaj

I have a KS LEV and totally love it!

No one really needs one but if you can afford it, it will allow to you to flow around much better and allow you to move the bike around more.

Its like suspension, sure you can ride a rigid down some technical stuff but its much more fun with suspension.

Same applies with the dropper post. It just depends on your personal views on where to draw the line with new technology helping you to ride better.

mattjg
    Free Member

Routes you know QRs are fine, you’ll stop and chat at the top, drop your saddle confident in the knowledge the benefits of lower CoG will outweigh the gimped pedalling.

This holds for winch up plummet down riding, our rides are more flowy XC, the climbs and drops come and go fast, QR’s not viable. Some of our STs are 150 metres or less, no worth stopping for, well worth dropping for.

Re the HILO – it comes with an lever under the saddle and a remote, you’ll be tempted to try the lever, don’t bother just out the remote on. The lever is almost as much faff as a QR.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Dropper seatposts. Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.