Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Driving: Privilege or Right
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Our dependance on cars is already killing people, why single out those that drive dangerously.

People having kids is already affecting our planet – we should start limiting that too.

grunty
    Free Member

I say privilege.

“No one has the right to restrict freedom of movement IMO. “

No ones freedom is being restricted, you just cannot move around in a motor vehicle operated by yourself. Nothing stopping you going in another motorised vehicle, bicycle or shank’s pony.

donsimon
    Free Member

Privilege.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ll through in a wildcard – driving is an honour.

sweepy
    Free Member

People having kids is already affecting our planet – we should start limiting that too.

And you don’t even need a license for that! Then they compound matters by putting the little buggers in a great big car to drive a half a mile to school.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh, but.. if that person decides to drive a vehicle and they pass a reasonable ability to manuvre that vehicle (a test) then no one else has the right to restrict that persons freedom of movement, therefore a Right and a Right to choose.

mogrim

Right, in the same way that freedom is a right – abuse your right and it will be taken away from you, the same way freedom is taken away from convicted criminals.

nbt

then the rural world has to exist, and without cars/lorries/vans whatever, then milk’s not going to be delivered, cows/chickens/sheep not gonna get slaughtered.

Funnily, the world has got by for several hundred years without lorries and so on, people just lived on a more local scale.

tails
    Free Member

Funnily, the world has got by for several hundred years without lorries and so on, people just lived on a more local scale.

Well give up your bike than as I’m pretty sure that will have been transported on plane and road!

It’s a right

END OF THREAD!

mogrim

Lot less people, though. You couldn’t sustain today’s population without mechanised transport.

lunge

Privilage.

You can fail 3 times, when you fail the 4th time you have 1 year break from tests in the hoppe you will spend it learning to drive, you then get 1 more chance to pass. If you fail a 5th time you loose that privilage.

3 strikes and your out for bans, though this could be harsher depending on the reason for the first 2 bans.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Well give up your bike than as I’m pretty sure that will have been transported on plane and road!

It’s a right

END OF THREAD!

And road transport will still continue .. just those that are exceptionally bad at performing said road transport will no longer be allowed.

The OP was based on limiting the exceptional few, not everyone

yossarian
    Free Member

100% Privilege.

End of.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Lot less people, though. You couldn’t sustain today’s population without mechanised transport.

If you believe the hype then the world can’t sustain our current format of [oil driven] mechanised transport, so maybe not being able to support the population is a blessing in disguise.

But again .. it’s not a blanket stoppage .. just those that have proven themselves to have a certain level of ineptness at driving/sticking to the rules

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Walking and cycling on the Queen’s highway is a right. Driving is a privilege that requires a licence; one that can be withdrawn.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Basically any ideas on implementing.

No temp bans?

3 strikes and out
    12 points makes a 1 yr ban, another 6 once back to driving makes a permanent ban?

driving while on a temp ban = permanent ban rather than just a fine or a slight extension to temp ban?

this kind of thing

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Here’s a controversial one: how about you fail your test a certain number of times … say 6 (number plucked out of thin air) then you’re not allowed to re-attempt for say 5 or 10 years years?

Driving is quite often a stressful event, if you consistently fail a test its surely a case of you’re either not ready, or you unfortunately don’t have the capacity to deal with stress while driving?

jimster
    Free Member

Privilege.

Compulsory retest tied in with the expiry of photo-licence to generate revenue and get the crap drivers off the road.

And of anyone uses the argument “I couldn’t pass a test now” you shouldn’t be driving!!!! 👿

TimP
    Free Member

If I have a skinful tonight and fancy a quick drive around town is it still my right to drive?

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s a controversial one: how about you fail your test a certain number of times … say 6 (number plucked out of thin air) then you’re not allowed to re-attempt for say 5 or 10 years years?

Maybe it should be like entering the code on a car stereo – each attempt you have to wait longer until the next one. If you get to 10 failures you have to send back to the manufacturer to reset.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Another thought, with the extortionate cost of insurance, I know several people who have had driving lessons and passed their test (as birthday presents etc) then can’t afford the thousands of pounds to buy and insure a car or motorbike. Is it sensible that they can drive after several years of having no practice and possibly having forgotten all that the lessons and test taught them?

alex222
    Free Member

often its more of a chore than anything.

jonba
    Free Member

Priviledge

3 attempts in a five year period
    6 attempts and your out
    12 points and you start again after having your licence removed
    Another 12 points and your out

Retest every ten years, above rules apply.

Simple 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

seems bloody daft to me Pistonbroke. You only really start learning to drive once you’ve passed your test and out there on the road on your own with all the other numpties. Waiting 7 years till you are 25 or something to buy a car is not safe! pass test get straight in a car and drive and learn.

Sandwich

Privilege and it should be removed from those that killer other road users. Drink drive twice public transport for you sunshine. 10 year retesting would be good too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    hmmm, not sure, I don’t drive so opinion may not come to much, I sort of see that it’s a priviledge, but I can see the point about rural areas too. Unless you want huge areas of britain urbanized, then the rural world has to exist, and without cars/lorries/vans whatever, then milk’s not going to be delivered, cows/chickens/sheep not gonna get slaughtered.

It’s not that simple.

I don’t think you have understood the question. Driving being a privilege dose not mean milk and food stuffs would not be delivered, or that everyone have to live in towns and cities (currently the majority of people do).

It isn’t a question of cars no cars, it’s question of attitude towards driving.

mogrim

Walking and cycling on the Queen’s highway is a right. Driving is a privilege that requires a licence; one that can be withdrawn.

I’m not sure there’s really that much of a difference – at the end of the day if the law changes the right’s gone. You can’t walk or cycle on a motorway, for example.

Unless cars themselves are declared illegal, I find it hard to consider driving as anything other than a right once you have shown yourself to be capable of safely exercising that right.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t think you have understood the question

Actually I think Emsz understood the question perfectly, has had a think about things, and posted a very reasonable response imo.

But as for the ‘right’ to drive a car; if this were so, then surely the Yerpean Commission for Human Rights would be insisting everyone had access to a car.

To me, ‘Rights’ are stuff like access to clean water, enough to eat, adequate safe warm housing, clothes, education and healthcare. The ability to gain self-respect and be valued for your efforts in society.

And to have access to that in society which anyone should be able to enjoy. Ergo, if an able bodied person can enjoy certain things, then it is the duty of society to ensure that those less able should equally be able to enjoy such things, as much as is possible.

A farmer needs to be able to get their produce to market, ultimately for all our benefit potentially, so maybe they have more ‘rights’ to motorised transportation than others, in our modern world. We would consider a patient with cancer the right to be able to have access to treatment that involved the very best in medical technology, woon’t we?

tandemwarriors

Privilege, and a 10 year retest to remind all the ‘good drivers’ that:

35 in a 30 zone IS speeding, if you were supposed to do 35 then that’s what the sign would say.
    Blindspots- you don’t suddenly grow an extra set of eyes in the side of your head when you pass the test.
    Indicating correctly- yep, they’re there to TELL people what you’re GOING to do, not decorate what you’re already doing.

Rant over, been a long day !!!

orangetoaster
    Free Member

It’s a priveledge I couldn’t do without.

Put it another way. Not being a car owner/driver is an overwhelming feature of social deprivation in this country. My car less years were a lot less happy than my car owning ones. I’m relieved to be able to raise my daughter in a car owning family with all the priveledge that that bestows.

Given the choice between a month in jail or a years driving ban I’d take jail without hesitation.

Re test attempts you get three in Switzerland. The reasoning is that if you can’t pass the (relativley difficult) test within 3 attempts your some sort of retard adn are only allowed a further atttempt subject to a psychologists assesment.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Driving: Privilege or Right’ is closed to new replies.