• This topic has 54 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Driving on the continent
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.
    I’m not going anywhere near Paris!
    I think get off at Calais, motorway as much as possible to Nice and then some local roads to the north and east of there.
    I think the ‘most useful advice’ prize goes to the person who posted the picture of the sign.
    I am now quite scared.

Stu_N

French autoroute speed limit is enforced with little or no margin. Have set them off at less than (indicated) 10km over limit. But they don’t pursue uk plates, it seems. I am not sure I would have wanted to actually be stopped in the last car as five trips racked up a few…

The fixed cameras are well signposted with a big radar picture, reminder (“rappel”) and speed limit signs. The mobile ones less obvious. Set up on a tripod or even attached to the boot lid of a gendarme car.

Oh and beware Belgians.

ianv
    Free Member

Oh and beware Belgians.

This is the best piece of advice so far. I shudder to think what the belgians must have do to pass their driving test, drive a dodgem for 5 minutes?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zokes
    Free Member

I shudder to think what the belgians must have do to pass their driving test, drive a dodgem for 5 minutes?

I’m guessing they use the same test as the Australians then…

mogrim

problem with spanish “no crossing white line” rule is that it specifically includes as Don Simon says (but in shorthand!) turning left – so you can’t turn left into say a supermarket carpark, hotel or development complex if the road has a solid white line – you have to carry on and u turn somewhere

That’s only true if there’s a cop looking, assuming no suspicious parked cars you can u-turn where you like…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

This is the best piece of advice so far. I shudder to think what the belgians must have do to pass their driving test, drive a dodgem for 5 minutes?

Whilst drinking and smoking at the same time….

ourmaninthenorth

Try doing it on a pushbike, butt clenchingly terrifying

I remember doing that at rush hour on a Friday. On one of the Velib hire bikes….

ourmaninthenorth

I think get off at Calais, motorway as much as possible to Nice and then some local roads to the north and east of there.

Apart from the sheer bloody hassle of the traffic jams round Lyon it’s an easy journey that one. Have done it one hit more than once, but usually prefer 2 days.

Am v jealous – I love southern France…!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Another good point to remember.

Draw phalli all over your car. The motorbike riding cops (the ones armed with guns) really like this 😯

Blower
    Free Member

Cheapest kits for europe?

stevomcd
    Free Member

French autoroute speed limit is enforced with little or no margin. Have set them off at less than (indicated) 10kph over limit.

All French speed limits are enforced on the very tight policy of 5% or 5kph over, whichever is greater. This means you only have 7.5kph (or about 5mph) to play with on the motorway! 😯

We’ve been done twice for an indicated speed of 138kph. You’d feel a tad aggrieved to get done in the UK for doing 74mph on the motorway!

hels
    Free Member

Bah ! I’ve driven in Europe loads, don’t worry about any of that kit, just wear a very small and tight tank top, you’ll be fine.

Edukator
    Free Member

You’ve got the most accurate car speedo on the planet, Stevo:

Tableau des tolérances des radars utilisé à poste fixe
    Vitesse limite Tolérance PV à partir de
    (Vitesse mesurée)
    (Vitesse retenue)
    50 km/h 5 km/h 56 km/h 51 km/h
    60 km/h 5 km/h 66 km/h 61 km/h
    70 km/h 5 km/h 76 km/h 71 km/h
    80 km/h 5 km/h 86 km/h 81 km/h
    90 km/h 5 km/h 96 km/h 91 km/h
    100 km/h 5 km/h 106 km/h 101 km/h
    110 km/h 6 km/h 117 km/h 111 km/h
    120 km/h 6 km/h 127 km/h 121 km/h
    130 km/h 7 km/h 138 km/h 131 km/h

Edit; which means you get done at 138kmh but not at 137kmh.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Edukator – indicated speed on the letter from les flics, not the car speedo!

hora
    Free Member

Whilst in France- don’t speed.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Driving on the continent’ is closed to new replies.