Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Drilling out cable guides
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

How hard is it for the ham fisted? Any fool proof method?

Mugboo

My Marin had slots in the stop for zipties instead which allowed you to run full outers. This might be easier to do as your less likely to hit your frame.

sailor74
    Free Member

dremel, or for the really ham fisted needle files, these are slow but you are unlikely to do any accidental damage or remove too much metal.

scaredypants

be very careful with the drill chuck (no, I'm not Cilla Black 😳 ) – easy to foul the frame with it

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Hmm – i think i will leave it and run sealed cables

davy-g
    Free Member
    james
    Free Member

Using the drill chuck by hand (as in just the drill chuck in between your fingers) may be a bit quicker than a needle file and a bit less fiddly

You're not running the risk of drilling into the frame tubes as you would with using a dremel, etc ..

Leaving them be or drilling them out I reckon Middleburn cable oilers are better (and typically much much cheaper) than sealed cable kits btw
    (CRC do them, 4mm is for gear cable, 5mm for brake cable)

nickc

SP41, XTR end caps and Teflon coated cables. End of gear shifting problems. or just the XTR cable set really, at £16 or whatever it is, is about the best upgrade you can get.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Jesus! Just MTFU and drill it. Worst you can do is scratch the paint, unlee you're some sort of ham-fisted Gorilla with the reactions of a sloth?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

paul do you have a bizarre ability to write but not read?

mlke
    Free Member

<wince> at the thought of putting power tools anywhere near my bikes. I can totally balls up home mechanics even with out electrical tools.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to do it regularly for customers. Dremel is the way forward but get some bog roll tubes. Split them and tape them to the frame for a bit of protect. Go steady and check often. It's easier to take more off than try to put some material back. It's possible to get a snug fit so the cables don't slide around. Finish with a file so you don 't scratch the housing and you'll be fine.

All this is assuming it's an aluminium frame. It's more time consuming with steel and night on impossible with ti.

ken_shields
    Free Member

If you're anywhere near Milton Keynes I'll do it for you.

rOcKeTdOg

sell the bike and get a new one with better cable guides, like you do when the seat post sticks out too far? 😀

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

rd 8)

james
    Free Member

"the XTR cable set really, at £16 or whatever it is, is about the best upgrade you can get"
    Unless your frame requires full length cable outers that is ..
    (I realise the OP's frame doesn't)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Drilling out cable guides’ is closed to new replies.