Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • DREADLOCKS
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

*in addition to the above….

there are also so incredibly nice people out there with dreads (not just the 17yr old wannabes in a rock club wearing a UV t-shirt and new-rocks), to them their own dreads will be the nicest in the world, and fair play to them. it takes a lot of patience to look after dreads whether you do the whole wax thing or the completely natural thing.

when it comes down to it….
    we're all individuals and having dreadlocks is much more interesting than walking out the hairdressers with the same haircut as the rest of the world!

oh yeah…. in the past 11 years i've not spent a single penny on a hair-cut *insert smug smile and sense of achievement* 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

in the past 11 years i've not spent a single penny on a hair-cut *insert smug smile and sense of achievement*

Nor have I, but that's cos I'm tight and cut my own hair 😉

verses

What helmet for dreads?

BontyBuns
    Free Member

TJ? Helmet advice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I guess it depends if you are white boy or not – do you live a dread life? No helmet needed then

Marin
    Free Member

Did no one ever get down to Gaye Bykers on Acid, y'all to square for dreads mon.

mollski
    Free Member

ok so everybody thats got dreads how long do they take to grow please?

tazzymtb

Did no one ever get down to Gaye Bykers on Acid,

prefered the jokey spin-off "lesbian dope heads on mopeds"

but everthing's groovey was ace, saw GBOA with scat opera many moons ago

philconsequence
    Free Member

Mollski:

three ways really:

1) Grow your hair long, section it off and then backcomb it nice and tight, dont use wax or beeswax or toothpaste or whatever the internet tells you, be prepared for it to shrink shorter or not look like its growing at all for ages.

As your hair continues to grow the knots will be tightening hence the appearance of it getting shorter or not growing. To keep the roots of the dreadlocks tight and less fluffy: use a teatowel and press firmly against your scalp… then rub it in small circles (pick a direction – clockwise or anti-clockwise and stick with it… by rubbing in the opposite direction you'll undo your good work)… this circling will break the odd hair at the root and tangle it into the dreads.

let them grow, buy a bigger phone book for all the new ladies you'll be collecting.

2) From short hair: have your hair braided in the smalled braids you can achieve.. all over your hair. you'll look stupid for 2-3 months as it grows out… but all the hair that grows out from under the braids will be growing into dreadlocks that are already tight and natural with no wax etc.

To keep the roots of the dreadlocks tight and less fluffy: use a teatowel and press firmly against your scalp… then rub it in small circles (pick a direction – clockwise or anti-clockwise and stick with it… by rubbing in the opposite direction you'll undo your good work)… this circling will break the odd hair at the root and tangle it into the dreads.

once the dreadlock part of the hair is 3inches long, cut off the braids from the ends.

let them grow, buy a bigger phone book for all the new ladies you'll be collecting.

3)grow your hair long, dont brush it, wash it regularly in a cycle but with cheap shampoo only (less perfumes and addatives left on your scalp and hair). as it starts to knot up rip it into smaller sections. follow the advice above re wax and rubbing the scalp…

whatever you do…. dont use wax, dont use conditioner, dont forget to wash your hair once you feel its tight enough not to fall apart.

hope that helps dude

trail_rat
    Free Member

and above all dont listen to folk like tj – for the first 6 months – be prepared it will look shit begin with

Pigface
    Free Member

GBOA were a great band, didnt Mary Mary end up with some rave dance combo. Loved that shortlived Grebo scene, Crazy head, Zodiac Mindwarp.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Trail_rat is on the money there…. it will look rubbish for a while, but dreads teach patience.

mollski
    Free Member

thank you for the advice PHILCONSEQUENCE top man 8)

falk1
    Free Member

Wouldn't be able for the itchy head, and not being able to wash them properly……….

kimbers

heres the reason i got let my hair dread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TDgkOOlbwg&feature=related

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘DREADLOCKS’ is closed to new replies.