Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • drafting
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

turning left onto the seafront this morning it was a pretty hefty 25knot SE wind, right on the nose all the way into work(about 4 miles).

literally as soon as I got onto the road another chap (with gears, I was on my SS) locked onto my wheel and sat there all the way into town.

bad form? or MTFU? or both?

druidh
    Free Member

Out of town, I don’t really care. In traffic though?? I’d have just stopped and let him past.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Commuter racing innit. Drop him like a bag of $h!t.

joao3v16
    Free Member

neither. just downright lazy.

one of my work colleagues drafted me for several miles once.
    him on his road bike.
    me on my mtb.
    I’m sure he could’ve gone quicker without drafting me.
    Unless I’m just awesomely fit

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not happy if someone does that going through traffic as I prefer to have my own space to make last second moves, if someones on your wheel you have to think about them too.

On the open road its a bit rude if they just sit on your wheel for a long time in silence. No issue if someone asks though.

Garry_Lager

Depends – was it proper drafting, right up your ringpiece? Don’t care for that one bit. If it’s just general sitting in behind then that’s not so bad. Crazy for people to do this in traffic though.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

right up my chuff in semi – busy traffic.

funny, a straw poll at work and a couple of people piped up and said they do it all the time – look on it as a bit of a treat!

pah!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i don’t draft people i don’t know and expect the same. I’ve told people to do one in the past as well.

trickydisco
    Free Member

if I’m out with a few guys from the club I don’t actually mind it. We’ve had a few ppl tag along to the back.

If it’s commute time on my own then I’m always full throttle anyway

barrykellett
    Free Member

Well, You could always blow some snot out and let on your didnt know he was there.
    Or start veering quickly to get him off the wheel and sprint at the same time to create the gap he wont be able to make up.

Or if you cant do that. Tough.

😆

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I draft strangers, often on my BMX because it makes the flat bits so much easier. I don’t think it’s any more dodgy than when I’m in the middle of a bunch of 100+ riders.
    I do drop back a few lengths going into junctions/stationary traffic etc though and would expect someone else to do the same.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just brake very hard, that usually scares them.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Take him through some pot holes?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

hmm. normally I can drop people from lights etc. but with the head wind I just didn’t have the right gear.

lazy sod.

AND when I did turn off the road up to work, he sailed through a red light too! he was an RLJ to boot!

fasthaggis

Not happy if someone does that going through traffic as I prefer to have my own space to make last second moves, if someones on your wheel you have to think about them too.

This ^^

I don’t mind someone drafting as long as there has been a bit of chat and they are switched on ,and paying attention.

I only draft behind people I know well.

prezet
    Free Member

Put the hammer down and drop him… I find on fixed I can normally drop most roadies on short sprint climbs without much of a problem.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

So much anger! WGAF?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh you can put the hammer own and drop peaople but its more difficult to do when their are lots of traffic lights. I generally sit in the queue at trafic lights, if its not too long, rather than filter up to the front, drafters usually sit at the front of the lighst, move off too slowly, I pass them and they latch on again. Once I’m on an open stretch of road I can usually get rid of them.

Slamming on the breaks, last minute swerving round pot holes is just stupid – I want them off my wheel, I don’t want to kill them.

aracer
    Free Member

Not really sure why people have a problem with somebody else drafting them (even a stranger). If they touch wheels, it’s them who’s going down, not you. Personally I’d let them get on with it for a mile or so and then wave them through to take their turn.

mudshark
    Free Member

Wave him past to let him know it’s his turn. If he refuses, swing wide and slam on your brakes then swing back to take him from behind – like a fighter pilot.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘drafting’ is closed to new replies.