• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • down jacket or gilet – which?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    It’s my birthday soon and I might treat myself to a down jacket or gilet. Not really sure exactly why I want one, but I do.

Anyway, for those who have both, which do you use most, and what do you use them for?

druidh
    Free Member

I use a gilet in the shop and under a Goretex jacket when I need that extra layer of warmth.

Full jacket is better for just pulling on when it’s cold and dry.

Neither is ideal for any form of exercise as they get too warm and sweaty.

If you already have a suitable jacket to wear over it, then a gilet is probably more flexible and adaptable.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have both, in fact, I have multiple of both. The one which gets used most is a Rab gilet. Warm. Toasty warm, actually, but really very useful as an all round piece of kit. The full down jackets are, if I’m honest, a little too warm sometimes.

That said, when skiing, having a down jacket for the evening stroll to the bar/restaurant is lovely, as one can wear just a shirt and the jacket.

Did I mention Rab? If not ( 😉 ), then can I do so now? Ace kit. Get some!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I hate gilets cos my arms get cold.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I have a Mountain Hardware down jacket, and i am never out of it… Best thing I have ever worn! I have a North Face one also, but don’t like it as much. My other half has about six of the North Face Nuptse vests, and she loves them.

CountZero

Try these:
    http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/store/clothing/ultralight-down/men/
    There’s a special offer on until tomorrow. I’ve ordered an Ultra Light Down jacket, £39.95 instead of £59.95. The equivalent RAB is around £120, a North Face £169. Bargain. Perfect for cool windy days and evenings and putting under another windproof if it turns cold.

doodlebug
    Free Member

If you want the best !! 😆
    Super lightweight and so warm, look no further :
    “Sale starts 19-11-2010 !!”” http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/special-offers.php?cat=79

druidh
    Free Member

There’s nothing special about PHD. RAB, Mountain Equipment etc. are all just as good and can be found (and tried on) easier.

You might want to look into face fabrics. If you think you are going to get damp at all, consider something which has a level of shower-proofing.

AlasdairMc

druidh – Member
    If you think you are going to get damp at all, consider something which has a level of shower-proofing.

…or Primaloft.

I’ve got a Rab synthetic gilet, which while not as warm as down provides an excellent layer and dries very quickly when wet. I also took the plunge at the weekend and got a Rab Photon Belay jacket as a winter outer layer for going out in the hills – it’s very very warm, like wearing a sleeping bag.

j_me
    Free Member

Rab Neutrino Lite – Best clothing purchase I’ve made, cracking. Really warm, light and packs down to nothing.

spacemonkey

I picked up one of these Gore Windstopper Phantoms last week and gave it a whirl at the w/end. Stripped off the arms to use as a gillet, and slapped them back on when the rain increased and the temperature dropped.

Impressed so far – cracking fit, breathable, shower-proof, and toasty in a de-winding kind of way.

aP
    Free Member

The nice thing about PHD is that they make things in the UK. Depends if that makes a difference to you or not.

druidh
    Free Member

AlasdairMc – Member
    > druidh – Member
    > If you think you are going to get damp at all, consider something
    > which has a level of shower-proofing.
    …or Primaloft.

Good point. I just bought a Montane Prism jacket as an “emergency” layer for carrying when road and mountain biking. They are doing a Limited Edition version, half the cost of which goes to the MR Teams in England and Wales. Nice colour-way and actually cheaper than the standard ones too!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Got to be a gilet. Team it up with a Ralph Lauren shirt, with the collars up, faded bootcut denims and beige timberland boots to complete the look 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve just recently got a rab body warmer and now wear it more than my eVent shell jacket. Its warm enough to wear at 0 degress with a long sleeve underneath.

Mates who have full down jackets say they are toasty warm… to much so.

If you go for a North Face full down jacket do you not need to buy a 5-10 year old BMW with blacked out windows too?

BadlyWiredDog

Anyway, for those who have both, which do you use most, and what do you use them for?

I wear mine when it’s cold, mostly for going down the pub but occasionally on south-facing Andean mountain routes. If you’re undecided, why not go for one of those with zip-off sleeves, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Or just get the sleeves.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’;m very happy with my Alpkit jacket, super warm and packs down when needed.

Looks like they are out of stock. new stock and colours in soon.

hora
    Free Member

In winter I keep two Mountain Equipment sleeping bags and down jacket inside the boot of the car. You never know when you may need to keep warm for a few hours with no car heater.

I was hoping to buy a Alpkit. They are approaching/in THEIR PRIME SELLING SEASON and guess what? They are out of stock for two months.

Are they any good at forward-planning or do they enjoy the feeling of lost-sales?

anonymouse
    Free Member

Alpkit good.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

WOW it took a page for someone to mention Alpkit! I have a Mountain hardware full down coat and it is THE best bit of kit I have ever had (Mr MC gave it to me as a present). as already mentinoed you can go out in the night with just aT-shirt underneath. I do always wear a gilet (although I don’t have down one) quite regularly.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit, I’ve had various Mountain Equipment for years. Its like my 10yr old XTR rear mech. You just don’t think about it. They are there, doing their job.

I have a north face gillet that ripped really easy and is now purring down the stitching under one arm.

Pay alittle more and get Mountain Equipment. Unless you are visiting the polar regions or are a stw-fashion-latte-whore then get Rab. 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘down jacket or gilet – which?’ is closed to new replies.