Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Double and Bash, do I really need a double specific front mech?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I need the front mech asap and the LBS only have standard front mechs.

Do I really need a double specific mech or should I just limit a triple one?

Any real benefits to the double mech?

Oh and it’s the SLX double.

Highland28
    Free Member

No you dont, you can just change the limits as you say that the mech doesn’t jump up to try and mount the chain on the bash ring. I am also running the slx double, bash. It is a great set of cranks, u won’t regret getting them.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m gonna run a chain guide so hopefully it won’t jump. Do I just limit the high? How do I know how much to limit it?

I’ve set up plenty of triples but never a double.

Highland28
    Free Member

Yep just limit the high, i run a double specific mech, but for my dads bike all you have to do is just check that when you go to push the shifter into 3rd the mech doesn’t over move, it won’t matter if it moves a mm or 2 but if it is moving 5mm it is more likely to push the chain as if there was a 3rd ring. So it is really just trial and error really, it is a fairly simple procedure. Hope that made sense.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It did thanks. Think I’ll order the double front mech at some point. Wanted one for Saturday but oh well. Can’t find one in any of the Sheffield shops.

Northwind

Absolutely not needed. But, the SLX double front mech is lighter than an XT triple front mech, and is very easy to set up- the cage is a different shape from a triple one. No great shock that a mech designed for a double works better on a double than a mech designed for a triple.

Highland28
    Free Member

Haha no bother, yeah i got a slx double front mech, don’t know what the benefits of it over the triple are to be honest as i got it at the same time aa the cranks. This also seemed to be the cheapest one I could find at the time, its holding up well though, its more the rear mech i need to do more work with, doesn’t seem to want to be set right at the mo. Anyway good luck with setting up and have a good ride on saturday.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well I figured that but you know what companies are like. Brand things specific when really others do the same job.

The main problem is I’m struggling to find a double in the time I have.

I can pick a triple up in any local shop.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Highland did you go medium gs on the rear?

Highland28
    Free Member

yeah i did, had a long cage to begin with and then changed it to medium xt, it is ok, just seems to be being a bit a nuisance at the moment, need to get the bike stand out I think, have a chain guide to fit to it also, so shall see if that makes any considerable difference.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah right, yeah I’m sticking a stinger on mine.

Like always I should have planned better and ordered earlier. Was sort of a last minute decision to go double and bash on the new build.

Highland28
    Free Member

Yeah, i managed to blag myself a blackspire dewlie, yeah you wont regret it, what bike is it goin on?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

All soon to be built onto an mmmbop frame newly purchased. Can’t wait to get it built up and give it a thrash. Just the mechs left to get and the build is Saturday.

Might drive somewhere if I can find a double mech in stock.

Highland28
    Free Member

They are meant to be a really nice ride, I was exactly the same, had all the parts for my bike sent home and had to take a weekend away form uni to build it up. It is a great feeling once it is all done and you can take it for a good thrash.

rs
    Free Member

or just set it up like a triple and don’t change up, i couldn’t be arsed messing with the limit screws much and have never accidently shifted onto the bash.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

just use your existing mech and wind in the top limit screw

Its easy

StuE
    Free Member

Only benefit I have found with the SLX double front mech is increased tyre clearance, wide tyres would rub on the mech on my MC Fury, SLX mech cured this.
    n Flickr
    IMG_2399 by StuE1, o

IMG_3370 by StuE1, on Flickr

mudmonster
    Free Member

Used a standard xt mech with a double setup. It worked well enough but chain fell off quite often. This stopped happening once I bought a double specific.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So I’ll just have to wait and order a double online. I’m using a blackspire stinger too so the chain shouldn’t drop.

Underhill
    Free Member

StuE, did you have any trouble getting the SLX Double mech to fit the stub? I’ve a Fury too but reckoned the post was too short to mount it

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Replaced my triple with an SLX double and bash a year ago but left the XT mech on. All you need to do is reset the upper limit screw and move the mech down a few mm so it sits right on the middle ring and gives you maximum clearance. Shifts perfectly, never had the chain come off. When the mech dies I will replace it with double specific but no need to waste money

coogan
    Free Member

I didn’t even know you could get a double front mech. I’ve never adjusted the mech on any of my bikes with a bash to stop going into the ‘big ring’ if you will. Not that hard to remember you only have two rings at the front! :mrgreen:

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha yeah but because I’m buying a full new drive train I might as well get double specific. It was more due to needing one by Saturday. No bother.

Cheers

Stuey01
    Free Member

I have double and bash with a triple mech on two bikes (one now sold though) and have no issues whatsoever. Absolutely no need to change to a double specific mech. Just lower the mech and wind in the top limiter as suggested up thread.

StuE
    Free Member

Underhill. no problems fitting the SLX mech to the Fury but I am 34t outer ring so it sits lower.

IMG_3377 by StuE1, on Flickr

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Right standard mech it is then.

In terms of the triple mech fouling the tyre why would that happen? It doesn’t on my triple?

Is it because the mech sits lower?

StuE
    Free Member

No it’s more a problem with the Fury, than with bikes fitted with a double and bash, it rubbed on the Xtr triple mech when the bike had 3 rings as well, but only when fitted with wide tyres.

Stuey01
    Free Member

i think that is a problem on a specific frame. never been an issue for me.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry to cast doubt…

I have previously has an SLX triple mech on on an SLX double crank set and it wasn’t quite right, always with some cage rub in some gear combinations however I adjusted it.

I gave it to Box from BAB who explained that the double mech cage is a little wider for this reason, as well as being stubbier. Hi did his best adjusting it to minimise the rub and it was OKish.

Underhill
    Free Member

Cheers StuE, looked at it with a 32T ring & didn’t just look right, but have a 36T on now so might not work anyway.

Might go ahead anyway & give the double a bash then (reaches for coat)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

anyone know anywhere nearish to Sheffield that might have a double front slx in stock? Could really do with one for the weekend.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Double and Bash, do I really need a double specific front mech?’ is closed to new replies.