Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Don't licence rickshaws – ban the feckers!
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/national/rickshaws-could-become-licensed-1-3824426

In the 21st century should human beings be acting as draught animals? as Delhi removes rickshaws from some of it’s streets in favour of motorised transport should a supposedly developed nation be adopting this squalid form of transport?

wwaswas

I can see some advantage to adding a pedalelec to a rickshaw but some college student doing it for a few weeks over the summer in Chichester isn;t the same as a lifetime in Delhi of grinding poverty and hard manual labour for a pittance of pay is it?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

squalid form of transport?

😯

Cant see the harm, pays reasonably well and you get fit. Tourists seem to enjoy them. Better for the environment than a taxi….

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But doesn’t the establishment of the sort of impermanent, self-employed culture of rickshawing help to create the sort of poverty in which ricksawing thrives?

wwaswas

Maybe licencing would avoid exactly these sorts of issues?

I can’t see anyone ending up in poverty because they choose to crank a rickshaw around a UK town or city. It’s probably not the prelude to end of the welfare state and the collapse of civilisationa s we know it.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And don’t forget the effect on other traffic. Traffic can overtake a single bike but will be trapped behind a slow-moving rickshaw, creating more emissions. Green transport? No!

convert

I claim troll

perthmtb
    Free Member

I remember the last few rickshaw drivers in Hong Kong used to rake in a good living from tourists and the like, just from getting their photograph taken with them sitting in the back. Good thing as Hong Kong is rather hilly, and most of them being in their seventies at least probably wouldn’t have survived a real fare!

GrahamS

Surely?

aracer
    Free Member

In the 21st century should human beings be acting as draught animals?

No indeed not. Whilst we’re at it, they should also ban cycle couriers. The Post Office have got it right phasing out bikes – people shouldn’t be exploited like that.

konabunny
    Free Member

Whilst we’re at it, they should also ban cycle couriers. The Post Office have got it right phasing out bikes – people shouldn’t be exploited like that.

Posties have it even worse – it’s outrageous that they should be expected to walk on their feet and carry things.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

What’s the problem.
    We have a surfeit of people on the planet.
    Perhaps reversing the march of technology by reintroducing person power is the answer.
    One small step on the road towards full employment.
    We could harness spinning classes to the National Grid – may even save having to brighten up South Wales with pretty wind farms.
    There is also a local watermill that could be put back to use by having the local unemployed jog inside the wheel in exchange for benefit payments.
    I feel an email to Call Me Dave may be in order. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh. Its total madness as there are some serious climbs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Don't licence rickshaws – ban the feckers!’ is closed to new replies.