Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Don't be a gutter bunny
  • druidh
    Free Member

The "Primary Position" is the only one you ever need.

glenp
    Free Member

OP article doesn't really go far enough, but the general thrust is ok. They should add that you need to take the road any place that isn't wide enough for you and a car – pinch points being a good example. They should also add that the decision is entirely that of the more vulnerable party – ie the cyclist.

There should be a nationwide information campaign over all media on these lines without delay. Motorists must understand where cyclists should be.

Don't be a gutter bunny indeed – the gutter isn't even part of the road – you wouldn't drive in it, so why cycle in it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

The "Primary Position" is the only one you ever need.

Nah, it makes no sense to be primary position on long stretches of open road, sure it gives drivers something mroe to see and overtake, but it also pointlessly inconveniences – on long stretches I tend to float just wide of the drains, and pull back across to the middle approaching junctions to prevent overtakes. The problem lies with the speed differential, most cyclists manage little more than 10mph even on road, which makes even the slwoest roads a 20mph differential – drivers seem to struggle with that sort of speed differential for some odd reason so steering clear makes more sense.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Has anyone seen the ones near straiton / penicuik? The pinch points are very narrow and every hundred yards. Cyclists complained about them – so now there are cyclepaths marked on the very edge of the road and signs telling cars not to overtake at the islands! very very dangerous – before the pinch points were put in there was plenty of room for cars to pass safely.

A pet hate of mine pinch points as they make life far more dangerous for bikes

brooess
    Free Member

There's a lot of cyclists in London need to heed that advice

epicsteve
    Free Member

My commute has some sections with those red-painted cycle lanes at the edge of the road. They're worse than useless as you either ride in them and put up with the inevitable rubbish etc. and also get drivers used to you riding in the gutter, or else ignore them and instead get beeped by drivers who think you should be cycling in them.

now there are cyclepaths marked on the very edge of the road and signs telling cars not to overtake at the islands! very very dangerous – before the pinch points were put in there was plenty of room for cars to pass safely.

There are a couple of those on my route. I come out of the painted cycle lane for them and take up position in the middle of the road so I can't be passed at the pinch point. Probably upsets the drivers behind (who have to stay behind me for a few seconds longer) but it feels much, much safer.

glenncampbell

Good article! I also keep to the middle of the road if approaching hazards, roundabouts and crossings etc. Much safer all round I think: pinch point + dullard driver = casualty for cyclist 🙁

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Don't be a gutter bunny’ is closed to new replies.