Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Domestic sound-proofing – any experiences?
  • 2tyred

My house is a 1930s (I think) semi whose dividing wall appears to be made of paper. Neighbours aren’t too bad, but you shouldn’t be able to hear the amount of sound that you can, and I’m sure they probably think the same.

The layout is partly to blame, as the staircases rise inwards (ie towards the dividing wall) and four rooms in each house share a wall.

It drives Mrs Tyred mental at times (she’s a light sleeper) and to avoid the unnecessary pain of moving house – other than the sound from next door, we like it – I’m wondering about soundproofing, but have no idea what’s what.

Any STW hive mind experiences?

ta!

ebygomm
    Free Member

It sounds just like our house, 1930s and every room apart from the bathroom shares a wall. We can hear them scraping food from their plates after meals.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

The only way to soundproof is to put a large amount off mass between you and the source noise OR ear plugs while sleeping!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

Go and ask on DIYnot.com

cinnamon_girl

That’s interesting as I had assumed that soundproofing would be better than newer houses.

Mine is 30 years old and I could hear my neighbours up and down the stairs, closing doors, baby constantly screaming. They weren’t a noisy family, just no soundproofing.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Hifi fourums have all sorts of stuffabout this try asking on the Hi Fi Wigwam.

The only way to do it I expect will be stud walls with plenty o sound deadening material and possibly even some kind of dynamat type stuff. This will be extremely costly and will still allow sound to travel through the floors etc but may improve things..Short term I’d go for ear plugs!

Found this may help??

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproofing.htm

2tyred

Never thought about it from a hi-fi perspective, cheers!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Mr Sparkle is yer man

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Domestic sound-proofing – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.