Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Dog walker / dark – rantette
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Last night on the final approach to home I rode through a local country park. It was pitch black – no light overspill or anything. I had a couple of thousand lumens going on and this chump is walking three dogs in the dark with no light and I get a bollocking for riding near his dogs. “Watch the dog for chrissake” he shouted. I stopped and said – “put them on a ####ing lead and get yourself a torch.”

Was that a measured response given the situation?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You should have eaten the dogs

iDave
    Free Member

a couple of thousand lumens going on

why did he need a torch, could you not see him? 😉

martymac

probably, tbh though it sounds like you met an asshole who coincidently happened to be walking 3 dogs imo.
    assholitis affect the lives of many, and there is no known cure for it.
    there are numerous threads on here, talking about assholes on horses, assholes in 4x4s, assholes rambling, assholes walking dogs etc etc.
    common theme seems to be assholes i reckon.

GW
    Free Member

Was that a measured response given the situation?

er.. No. sounds like you’re a complete fanny!

wwaswas

late night dog walkers don’t use torches or collars with lights on so they have to bear no responsibility when their dog craps in the middle of the footpath – ‘well, I didn’t see him do it’.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I had a couple of thousand lumens going on

What iDave said. What if it had been a fox without a torch, would you have sworn at that too?

Sorry, not his fault.

GrahamS

Had the same issue a couple of times on my commute, including a dog walker who did the old “piano wire” routine: pitch black, him on one side of the path, dog on the other, black extendable lead suspended between them only just visible in the light from my Lumi.

I can only assume he didn’t like the dog very much.

hora
    Free Member

Wasn’t he abit scared? We had this a while ago on a night ride, just suddenly came across a bloke on his own with his dog down a dark ‘funnel-like copse of trees.

I’d have to be packing two 9mm pistols, a shotgun and a invisible blanket to fool the witches and goblins.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Could you stop within what you could see? the dogs do not have to be on a lead – they have to be under control – not the same thing. Dunno why the walker should have to have a torch as well.
    However black dogs can be very hard to see – quite often I see dogs now with reflective or led lit collars – makes a big difference

derek_starship
    Free Member

TJ – I was doing about 5mph but one of his dogs ambled perilously close to my bike. The last thing I want to dog is cause injury to somebody’s dog. I was just amazed that he perceived me to be in the wrong when he was walking in complete darkness with three 12″ inch high black dogs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Molly has a flashing collar in case of encounters with unreasonable cyclists; of which there appears to be many.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You need a helmet light so you can scorch his retinas and leave him unable to see in the dark for the next 20 mins or so – once you have done that start to eat his dogs SIMPLE

They are tool dont sweat it DS.

bonj
    Free Member

I think all dogs being walked after dark should be fitted with lights, front and back, and a hi viz reflective top.

GrahamS

I think all dogs being walked after dark should be fitted with lights, front and back, and a hi viz reflective top.

And helmets!

Junkyard
    Free Member

runs of to design rear flashing red led doggy but plug and writes letter to Dragins den

KT1973
    Free Member

I’m with you Derek. Yesterday after noon, there was a couple on the trail here, on MTBs with 2 dogs off leads which were chasing everyone on bikes and I had to stop and eventually ride across grass onto a footpath to avoid them.
    If I had a gun I would have shot them.

GrahamS

runs of to design rear flashing red led doggy but plug and writes letter to Dragins den

Can’t help thinking that might just interfere with the main purpose of “walking” a dog, Perhaps fit it to the dog walker instead?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I douse my black lab in phosphorus when we go for a walk in the dark, for the full hound of the baskervilles effect. Perhaps more people should do this.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Watch the dog for chrissake

Shooduv bin answered with:

Why, is about to do something amazing?

Then just stand there staring at the dog, thus complying with his wishes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

redesigns light to make sure it is a hollow but plug *- this R & D is more complicated than I thought.

Has brain wave now its capable of producing comedy shapes like say piping nozzles for cream or icing …what would work best?

* is scared to google to see if this has been patented

DezB
    Free Member

My dog has one of these on her collar at night

I sometime see people walking in the dark when I’m out with her (usually on my bike), but I’d never dream of telling them they should have a torch!
    Yet another case of – “Only on STW”

derek_starship
    Free Member

Elfin – if only I’d thought of that. That woul;d have been ace. I could have kept it in the “spotlight” with my head torch and sounded a drum roll.

Perhaps those people who like to walk their mutts in the dark should add some caesium to the Caesar.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

After reading this, along with some of yesterday’s dog/bike thread, I get the impression that some people on here don’t get the distinction between dogs that are “under control” and “not impeding my progress in any way”. One is the responsibility of the dog owner, the other is something you just have to live with from time to time if you want to cycle on a multi-use path.

richc
    Free Member

Last night on the final approach to home I rode through a local country park. It was pitch black – no light overspill or anything. I had a couple of thousand lumens going on

Well tbh, if you were riding towards someone with this much light, and weren’t dipping them, I have zero sympathy, and would count yourself lucky you didn’t get your head kicked in. Road cyclists seem to have worked this out, but some MTBs seem to be a bit thick in this regard.

The flipside of such cheap bright lights seems to be cyclists are blinding everyone and then blaming everyone else for having an attitude.

If you want to see what I mean, next time when you are out with your mates with your mega bright lights, get them to ride towards you with there lights on full blast and yours switched off, and experience it from the other side.

Personally I find running/walking at night a nightmare now if mtbs are about with stupid bright lights, as I have yet to see anyone dip or shade them to reduce the blinding effects. I wonder what you would say to someone who drove around in their car with uprated lights and on full beam everywhere?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

If I had a gun I would have shot them.

because you enjoy spending time in jail?

GrahamS

Has brain wave now its capable of producing comedy shapes

Nice!

Perhaps it could also paint the poo with some kind of glow-in-the-dark paint to help the nocturnal dog walkers locate it without having to blindly feel about with their hands (which is presumably what they must do at the moment since they don’t have a torch!)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Does rantette mean a girly rant?

bonj
    Free Member

I douse my black lab in phosphorus when we go for a walk in the dark, for the full hound of the baskervilles effect. Perhaps more people should do this.

In the war they used to paint foxes with luminous white fluorescent paint and then set them free amongst the germans, so they would think they were ghosts and get freaked out. Completely 100% true.

scuzz
    Free Member

So, a man yells at you to watch out for his dogs. How is that a bollocking? Why does someone always have to be at fault? Nothing happened.

In response to the light thing – if he didn’t have a torch, it means he’s fine without one. You probably would be too, if you’re going 5mph as you claim. You definately don’t need a couple thousand lumans.

rocketman
    Free Member

Up until a couple of years ago a tall, thin woman with white hair used to regularly walk her three black dogs along Cannock’s Sherbrook Valley in total darkness.

I said ‘hello’ a few times but never got a response.

v. scary 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

<surprised it hasn’t been said yet>it could be a kids face next time!<happy its finally been said>

eyerideit
    Free Member

martymac – Member
    probably, tbh though it sounds like you met an asshole who coincidently happened to be walking 3 dogs imo.
    assholitis affect the lives of many, and there is no known cure for it.
    there are numerous threads on here, talking about assholes on horses, assholes in 4x4s, assholes rambling, assholes walking dogs etc etc.
    common theme seems to be assholes i reckon.

You forgot asshole cyclists from your list.

It’s not a pop at you Derek, By what you’ve said you slowed down and passed him – he overreacted and you blew you top.

There’s no winners here I’m afraid.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I was doing about 5mph but one of his dogs ambled perilously close to my bike.

And you couldn’t stop from 5mph?

derek_starship
    Free Member

scuzz – I adopted the 5mph because I didn’t want to cause any injuries. Keep up – and the unit you speak of is lumens.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

lupins?

GrahamS

if you were riding towards someone with this much light, and weren’t dipping them, I have zero sympathy, and would count yourself lucky you didn’t get your head kicked in

I don’t have a dip setting on my venerable old Lumi, just on or off. Please don’t kick my head in – I’m just trying to see where I’m going 😯

Road cyclists seem to have worked this out

Road cyclists don’t have to avoid dog eggs in the dark.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Poor Troll.

scuzz
    Free Member

scuzz – I adopted the 5mph because I didn’t want to cause any injuries. Keep up – and the unit you speak of is lumens.

Apologies, I lack basic comprehension and spelling skills. I feel this is less of a character fault than swearing at people I don’t know when they attract my attention to something I hadn’t noticed.
    Chill out!
    Saying that, I’m probably making assumptions – I don’t know what happened and you haven’t provided that much detail, so if I’m wrong I apologise for that, too. I’m sure you’re a thoroughly nice chap.

DezB
    Free Member

as I have yet to see anyone dip or shade them to reduce the blinding effects

I do 🙂
    But then, I’m not an arsehole (that’s how we spell it in the UK)
    Actually I am, but that’s another story.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Dog walker / dark – rantette’ is closed to new replies.