Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dog advice
  • nicko74

The OH wants a pug dog, and has convinced herself (and nearly me) that it’s a good idea. It’s smallish, friendly, sociable and so on.
    Thing is, we both work during the day, and her friend has rightly pointed out that it could get bored or lonely, chew everything and be a right mess.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

Edit: should have said – I’d generally go for a cat, myself, as it’d be more independent and less likely to chew stuff up; but the OH much prefers dogs, and is generally fairly allergic to cats.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If nobody is in during the day don’t get a dog.

godzilla
    Free Member

Pug’s are well cute, but be prepared for spending a fortune at the vets as they can have some health issues.

crashdummy
    Free Member

If you are going to get a dog, MTFU and get a propper dog not a pug.

And no, don’t leave it alone all day everyday.

Jase
    Free Member

Don’t leave alone all day.

And do you know how much one from a decent breeder will cost? You won’t get much change from £1500.

lord
    Free Member

alberts 12 weeks old , got him from a really nice dog breader in lancs ,

anagallis_arvensis

a well exercised adult dog is fine left alone for a day 9-5 as long as it can go to the toilet

andyl
    Free Member

My missus wants a Pug. I reminded her that as owners always end up looking like their dogs I will leave her if she ends up looking like a pug!

69er
    Free Member

In your situation, get a cat. Are you really going to get up and exercise it for 30 – 40 mins evry day before work? And then again when you get in?

And if you insist on getting one, get a hybrid from the Blue Cross. Paying loads of money for a status dog with proven health issues is just stupid.

andyl
    Free Member

oh yeah +1 on the serious comments of:

1. Overbred – do not support over breeding.

2. You don’t have the correct life style to own a dog.

3. If you do have a life that is suitable for a dog then get a rescue one. It will love you so much more and you are saving it from a miserable existence.

druidh
    Free Member

She really wants a child and this is a diversion.

TheFlyingOx

A cat will claw the living shit out of your settee when you’re at work, so don’t think that’s a decent alternative to a dog. I speak from experience, and whilst sat on a very distressed looking sofa.

chickadee
    Free Member

I asked about leaving a dog home alone all day & got a resounding “no” from everyone.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/are-there-any-dogs-that-you-can-treat-like-cats

As an aside aren’t pugs prone to all sorts of hideous health problems due to inbreeding?

nicko74

aren’t pugs prone to all sorts of hideous health problems due to inbreeding?

mmm… can be, so it’s all about the breeding, apparently. I read that the gene pool is equivalent to 50 unrelated dogs, which is pretty small!

I’d like to get a mongrel of pug crossed with something equally small but slightly healthier, but really it’s not up to me… I’ll take it all on board, anyway, and feed it back to the decision maker. Given the response, I don’t think I’ll be posting any “check out my new manly pet!!” threads any time soon…. 😉

anagallis_arvensis

I asked about leaving a dog home alone all day & got a resounding “no” from everyone.

no you didnt

Andy

My dog gets left alone in the house for the day whilst I am at work for 4 days a week. I make sure its not for more than 9 hours (its good actualy as it forces me not to hang around at work in the evening). Sometimes neighbours pop in to say hello to her. She gets a walk in the morning and a walk in the evening when I get in.

Shes a rescue dog so she is 6, which is a bit different from being a puppy. I was lucky when I got her during the summer I could work half days at home whilst I watched how she reacted and built up her time alone.

Its not a long term thing, as I have plans to address it. And I was worried about leaving her for this amount of time. Toilet wise its only an hour longer than overnight.

When I leave her she is sitting on the armchair looking out the window and quite often when I come back she is in the same place.

phil.w
    Free Member

When I leave her she is sitting on the armchair looking out the window and quite often when I come back she is in the same place.

Which clearly means she has learnt what time you get home and is trying to look all innocent after a full day of mischief. 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

Leaving a dog all day on it’s own isn’t fair on the dog.

Andy

Why not?

I leave the TV remote beside her. There are plenty of good books in the house and the fridge is always full of beer (albeit cooking lager).

bruk

I shouldn’t really like Pugs cause they do have so many problems BUT they generally have fantastic characters so you like the indidvidual but dislike the breed 😕

Puppies can’t be left all day so if you can’t work from home or take it to work then you would have to look at an adult rescue dog.

How long would it be left on its own each day?

montylikesbeer

nah, get a lab, stink like mad, fart, wreck the house, @hit like troopers but just ace and your best mate for ever

deserter
    Free Member

I’d be interested to see how many people who own dogs do work full time, seems better than a dogs home and euthanasia to me

bruk

Have dog and work full time but dog comes to work with me. Waited a while before got job where I could bring dog along.

TooTall
    Free Member

we both work during the day

Nope – as said before, bad, bad idea.

Just have the kid and get it over with – pug = child substitute.

mrh86

Get a proper dog.

Working cockers spaniels are ace – not huge either

Or something a bit bigger and that you’d definitely be able to take out with you on rides

German Short haired pointer

Girlfriends parents have 2x springers and 1x cocker and all 3 are ace dogs. Apparently springers are a bit easier to train. Spaniels are one of the most popular breeds for a reason. Get a working one though to make sure they aren’t over bred.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dog advice’ is closed to new replies.