Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DofE Practice weekend
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just dropped eldest son off to start his trek around the peaks, beware gangs of bewildered teenagers strung out along the trails. 😀

Could be interesting, it took them 10 mins to work out which way to go once they left the car park!

Shorty121
    Free Member

He’ll have fun camping in this heat 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

There’s guys climbing Everest with smaller packs than his lot set off with this morning. Thankfully there is a nice cool breeze – if I can get the domestic chores done this morning I have permission to go out for a ride later.

surfer
    Free Member

My daughter did her practice for the Silver a few weeks back in the Clwydians. It was a monsoon and given she moans whenever I try to get her out into the hills she was the one who navigated, sorted out the tent and did all the cooking.
    Maybe sometimes it rubs off 😀

onehundredthidiot

Had a guys in one of my groups turn up with a spare tent!! I made him carry it for the first half day. Practice, Lesson learnt.

matt_outandabout

*raises hand*
    I am responsible for dozens of the blighters each year. Avoid glen tilt, Ben alder and rannoch way next weekend. Equally If you see me zipping round by bike looking stressed it will be because one of the dears has fallen off a cliff or something…

onehundredthidiot

Bronzes out 7th and 8th. Silvers the next weekend. They may be finishing at Inners, what me arrange my expeds around good biking? How very dare you.

restless
    Free Member

There’s guys climbing Everest with smaller packs than his lot set off with this morning. Thankfully there is a nice cool breeze

I dropped my son off this morning for his practice too, and also with a ridiculous amount of stuff they have been told to take!

onehundredthidiot

Restless, when he comes back tell him to empty the bergen into two piles. Used and not used, dump the not next time, obviously he has to factor in the weather. the kit lists tend to err on the side of caution. My groups overfill a 65+L bag and I take a 45, down to experience and the default setting for those running expeds is the kids have none.

footflaps

Saw quite a few in Cannock Chase yesterday.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Yeah I mean when I did my Bronze, Silver and Gold they had a kit check to make sure you had everything on the list. But I just got rid of a lot of the stuff that I knew I wouldn’t need. We were quite lucky when we did all of ours, the weather was unusually sunny. We did our Gold on the Isle of Arran last year and I even got a tan 😀 Didn’t even think to bring sun tan lotion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DofE Practice weekend’ is closed to new replies.