Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Does using acronyms and abbreviations…
  • donsimon
    Free Member

… make you sound more or less intelligent?
    I see widespread useage by people who wish, I guess, to appear familiar or knowledgeable on a subject using anacronyms and abbreviations.
    In the correct environment it’s simply jargon and useful, but in an open forum?

KT1973
    Free Member

FIIK

nealglover
    Free Member

If job related and used outside of the workplace where people wouldn’t know what they mean…… Attention craving.

donsimon
    Free Member

FIIK

?

andrewh
    Free Member

Had a meeting today with the man from IT and a telephone salesman.
    Other than being asked if I liked tea or coffee I didn’t really understand any of it. They seemed quite contnet to talk amogst themselves.
    On the subject of acronyms, what does XTR stand for?

IanMunro
    Free Member

AFAIK IIRC XT Race.

andrewh
    Free Member

OK, that’s half an answer. What does XT stand for?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like accro’s, it stops people really understanding what you are on about when not in a like minded group..

= a bit of exclusivity.

Sailings full of em’, stops the unwashed knowing what you are on about.

IanMunro
    Free Member

X Terrain (Possibly, maybe, dunno)

Bregante

My job uses far too many TLA’s

andrewh
    Free Member

Right, we now have X Terrain Race. What does the X stand for? This is turning into a much longer question than I was expecting…

KT1973
    Free Member

don simon – Member

FIIK

?
    I like the look of those. Haven’t been on a skateboard since I sold my Powell & Peralta 20 years ago

beckykirk43
    Free Member

X as in cross?

There’s an ever increasing number of acronyms used for various reagents in chemistry, get’s annoying when you have to spend as long looking up what at the reagents actually are, as working out what they do!

donsimon
    Free Member

get’s annoying when you have to spend as long looking up what at the reagents actually are, as working out what they do!

Entirely defeating the object then.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Entirely defeating the object then.

yep!
    I’ve just realised there was a rogue apostrophe in my post – I almost feel ashamed of my poor grammar!

porter_jamie

Xtr is not an acronym.

IHN

like he said, XTR is an abbreviation

john_drummer
    Free Member

FIIK – f***ed if I know?

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t think LX and XT actually stand for anything (or the old DX) – they were just made up. XTR is XT Race, though.

More interestingly is Deore. One of their first mechs had a picture of a deer on it (I’ve got one) and someone mistranslated “Deer” – they liked the mistake, so it stuck.

Cougar

I work in IT, which is an industry pretty much based on TLAs. It’s a necessary evil though, as you’ve got a lot of like-sounding technologies and ambiguity could be disastrous.

Eg, talking about an Internet connection at a technical level: “broadband” tells you nothing about the technology being used to present the connection, and you don’t want (or need) to be saying “Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line” every time, so it’s ADSL.

aP
    Free Member

I have an Acronomicon from one of my clients that’s 600 pages.

crazy-legs

There’s an ever increasing number of acronyms used for various reagents in chemistry, get’s annoying when you have to spend as long looking up what at the reagents actually are, as working out what they do!

Worst for that is protecting group chemistry. On the plus side though just writing Boc or MOM or MEM is a hell of a lot easier than writing out the full structure!
    My favourite was the (slightly contrived) DEADCAT for Diethyl Azodicarboxylate.

sobriety
    Free Member

The worst part is that when I meet up with my uni mates (we’re all engineers) half the jokes are TLAs…

sparksmcguff

…look lazy?

imnotverygood

OT*, but are Bontrager’s Mud-X tyres: Mud-ex or Mud-Cross? (& others of that ilk?)

* see what I did there

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Does using acronyms and abbreviations…’ is closed to new replies.