Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Does decaf coffee dehydrate you? aslo does non alcoholic beer?
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

as above?

druidh
    Free Member

No – neither does ordinary coffee.

Mackem

I tend to get very thirsty with non-alco beer. Get "hangovers" with it too.

nickc

The whole coffee dehydrates you is a bit of a myth really. Yes in concentration caffeine is a mild diuretic, but most people make coffee with…erm water… So you'd have to drink *a lot* of very strong espressos to get anywhere properly dehydrated, and you'd probably chuck up before you'd get there…regular coffee drinking, your body just balances out over the day. Beer is the same, it's mostly water.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

druidh yes it does (normal coffee that is)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

druidh yes it does (normal coffee that is)

No no it dosn't, its still a NET intake of fluid.

The mild diuretic effect of the caffiene does not prompt you to loose more than the volume of fluid contained in the beverage you consumed the caffiene in. Even super lava-tastic triple strength espresso.

Drac

Who gives a shite why would any drink any of that shit?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

erdinger alcohol-free is actually marketed as an isotonic recovery drink in germany.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Who gives a shite why would any drink any of that shit?

presumably they ignore your preferences and drink what they like ?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Drac because coffee with caffeine makes me feel like shit! Get really hungry, energy dips, head aches etc

Drac

presumably they ignore your preferences and drink what they like ?

I didn't realise they knew them to now.

GeeWave MTFU!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I didn't realise they knew them to now.

one of the advantages of ignoring something is not having to know what it is 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

GeeWavetree – Member
    Drac because coffee with caffeine makes me feel like shit! Get really hungry, energy dips, head aches etc

Stop drinking it then. Your symptoms have nothing to with your hydration levels though.

poppa
    Free Member

I remember hearing that decaf coffee is carcinogenic from somewhere, but I can't remember where – that's why I tend to avoid it. Anyone confirm?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

druidh – Member

GeeWavetree – Member

Stop drinking it then. Your symptoms have nothing to with your hydration levels though.

where did i say it was? Just wondered whether decaf that i drink will be having any adverse effect on me thats all

Drac – **** off

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I remember hearing that decaf coffee is carcinogenic from somewhere

linky

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sounds like you are mildly alergic to phenols, or some other compound that won't necessarily be extracted/modified by the decaffienation process. So in the absence of any definative answers on what chemical compound is giving you the problem, or any chemical analysis of decaf tea/coffee, I'd say the balance of probability is that they will still make you feel shit.

But seen as your death is an unlikely outcome, you could always drink a few and find out for yourself.

poppa
    Free Member

Thanks SFB. I may resume drinking decaf!

UpQuickDownSlow

poppa said: I remember hearing that decaf coffee is carcinogenic from somewhere, but I can't remember where – that's why I tend to avoid it. Anyone confirm?

Dichloromethane was a solvent used for decaffeination in the 1970s, but its use was suspended since it is a suspected human carcinogen.

These days coffee is decaffeinated by either the "Swiss Water Process", or by using supercritical carbon dioxide (which is better since it affects the coffee less). Neither is carcinogenic.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Does decaf coffee dehydrate you? aslo does non alcoholic beer?’ is closed to new replies.