Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Does anyone here live within 300m of a wind turbine ? Talk to Me :-)
  • redthunder
    Free Member

What is it actually like? and how tall are they.

Nightmare ? Dont notice. Quivering jelly and cant post no more ?

Shadow is it that bad ? Curious because a nearby factory is propsing nearby local residents and only 300m away.

NIABY

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Presumably if it/they are to power a factory they may just be small-scale ones rather than the big white things you see at windfarms?

legend
    Free Member

Depends on the factory, iirc Ford have a chuffing huge one in Dagenham

ahwiles
    Free Member

live? No.

Work? yes.

as in, 100m from where i park my bike.

it’s a whopper, ok, it’s only a 1MW whopper, but it’s about (guessing a bit – based on relative size with the one it replaced) 50m tall to the hub, 65m ish to the top of the tips.

in high winds, it’s noisy, but so is everything else so you don’t really notice.

in medium winds it does sound a bit ‘whiney’…

we get funny flickery shadows through the windows in the evening.

all things considered, it’s hardly a problem. i’d happily swap a sort-of-noisy wind turbine for my-neighbours-screaming-kids…

Junkyard
    Free Member

so would they

BenjiM

Presumably if it/they are to power a factory they may just be small-scale ones rather than the big white things you see at windfarms?

haha, you want to see Dewlays on the A6 at Garstang. 126m Tall powering a cheesmakers.

http://www.dewlay.com/sustainability

bikebouy
    Free Member

Family have a farm near Menwith Hill Harrogate .. there a few up there. You can hear the tips of the blades whiz if they are oscillating and if it’s really windy they hum, quite a lot actually.
    Next doors farm have a single one and it’s a noisy bloody thing, needs the blades re aligning, but it’s good to see him use it instead of mains power
    We’ve looked at one but to generate enough power to run the farm it’ll cost 90k and we rather think that’s too much.

Karinofnine

Blessed are the cheesemakers!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think you mean all dairy workers

Karinofnine

Indeed, the manufacturers of all dairy products

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The Greek shall inherit the earth

Pook

I’m Brian.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Rweleese Bwyan!

Harry_the_Spider

There are two that power a care home just up the road from me. They are probably a bit further away than 300m, but even when out walking near them you would not know that they were there.

ononeorange

I’m only telling the truth, he has got a very big nose

wwaswas

The Greek shall inherit the earth

or at least get a loan from the Germans to help them buy it.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I had the pleasure of working for a week next to several wind turbines.

I am quite a sensible chap so when I heard people saying how noisy they were I couldn’t quite get my head round it.
    However the constant whoosh whoosh whoosh did my head in after about 2 hours, it was like a slow water torture gently nibbling away at your sanity.

avoid (and think of the birds)

allthepies
    Free Member

How close were they ? The OP is talking about 300m. 300m is a reasonable distance away 🙂

binners

You call me big nose again and I’ll take you to the ****ing cleaners mate!

redthunder
    Free Member

Thnaks chaps.

The proposed turbine is 67m.

I hope this makes it, but it’s to late for us 🙁

A Bill presented by Lord Reay to make provision for a minimum distance between wind turbines and residential premises according to the size of the wind turbine.

The Bill requires that a local authority only provide planning permission for the construction of a wind turbine generator where it meets the minimum distance requirements as set out in the Bill. The requirements for minimum distance are as follows:

greater than 25m, but does not exceed 50m, the minimum distance requirement is 1000m
    greater than 50m, but does not exceed 100m, the minimum distance requirement is 1500m
    greater than 100m, but does not exceed 150m, the minimum distance requirement is 2000m
    greater than 150m, the minimum distance requirement is 3000m
    No minimum distance requirement if the height of the wind turbine generator does not exceed 25m

http://www.dodslegislation.com/bill/2012-13-wind-turbines-minimum-distances-from-residential-premises-bill-hl/

RobHilton
    Free Member

Consider the lilies

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

those distances are ridiculous. Designed to prevent most / all windfarms

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Wilts Council seem to be bothered by the idea of blades coming adrift. Does that happen much?

And yes, once could be one time too many.

druidh
    Free Member

slowoldgit – Member
    Wilts Council seem to be bothered by the idea of blades coming adrift. Does that happen much?

No

CountZero

TandemJeremy – Member
    those distances are ridiculous. Designed to prevent most / all windfarms

Except for offshore ones, which are better positioned anyway. More consistent winds.

mafiafish
    Free Member

avoid (and think of the birds)

Nae bother to birds, in the whole of the U.K. turbines kill about 800 birds a year (compared to 1-3million by cats and cars). Indeed your average power station kills 3-5.5 birds per TWh wheras wind turbines kill 0.5-1.2 for the same amount of power (offshore being a fair bit worse than onshore ones).
    The only issue is that some species don’t like breeding near them (Curlew especially) so if they are put in an area with protetcted habitat it effectively reduces teh utility of that area for some species.

The noise characteristics depends massively on the type of turbine. The two-bladed WES ones are very noisy but fixed RPM ones are pretty silent within 200m.

project
    Free Member

We ahve a 26 turbine wind farm in the sea off west kirby, and liverpool docks have about 7 , and soona local van dealers are getting a few, and as per usual the locals dont like them.

Fantastic things, and non polluting, and not likely to make you radio active if they go wrong.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone here live within 300m of a wind turbine ? Talk to Me :-)’ is closed to new replies.