Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • England squad for Euro 2012 – discuss
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

So Roy’s selected his team, which is as below. What’s your thoughts? Good/bad choices, who would you have taken in replacement of any of these etc?

Goalkeepers – Joe Hart, Robert Green, John Ruddy.

Defenders – Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, John Terry.

Midfielders – Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young.

Strikers – Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck.

Standby – Jack Butland, Phil Jagielka, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, Daniel Sturridge.

Junkyard
    Free Member

caroll and defoe seem odd

No rio and taking the racist [alleged but with enough evidence to charge]

But really what does Micah Richards need to do and I am a Man u fan and only one right sided defender and he is crap
    Serioulsy why no Richards? do you have to dislike him to be manager?

Not sure about Phil Jones either tbh

Who is jack Butland a keeper?

IHN

Ah good, he’s picked Lampard, with his proven international tournament form 🙄

Other than that, feel a bit sorry for Les Ferdinand but it’s a fair selection pretty much

Does show how few good english keepers there are.

nickswolves
    Free Member

I think Defoe is an odd choice given lack of first team opportunities this year, Carrol provides an aerial threat and I’d take him over Crouch.

I agree, would like to have seen Richards at RB

Yes, Jack Butland is Birminghams GK

wrecker
    Free Member

feel a bit sorry for Les Ferdinand

Isn’t he a bit old?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

taking the racist [alleged but with enough evidence to charge]

Can someone please explain to me why soccer has done sweet fanny adams about these allegations? Was it to allow him to play in this tournament? I don’t really read much about soccer, as you might be able to guess, but this baffles me so would appreciate any opinion.

nickswolves
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

feel a bit sorry for Les Ferdinand

Isn’t he a bit old?

Last played for England in 1998 😀

binners

FFS: Lampard? Gerrard? Terry? I suppose it was too much to expect Roy to grow a pair, and just pension of the whole lot of the ‘golden generation’ who have so spectacularly failed to deliver

John Terry is a nasty, racist liability who, no matter what the outcome of the trial, will be totally disruptive in the dressing room. Plus… lets be honest… he’s shite!!

Could have made a fresh start and let the young ‘uns who’ve done so well at under 21 level to have a crack. And I agree with Junkyard. Micah Richards would be one of the first on my list

wrecker
    Free Member

Isn’t this exactly why the FA didn’t want Pearce to have the job?
    The old farts wanted this team to go and picked a yes man so that it happened.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

who ever Roy picks…

– the whole country will get behind them
    – many will take leave from work and fly out to watch them play at great expense
    – 1966, 40 years of hurt blah blah blah
    – England flags on cars
    – maybe this time etc etc

Then they’ll play ****, looking like they are a bunch of overpaid ****s who can’t be arsed and in doing so set a very poor example to the thousands of kids who look up to them.

Some proper sport in the Olympics and TDF to think about.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No Gazza, no Waddle, Hoddle not even mentioned. Ridiculous. We don’t stand a chance.

higgo
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

taking the racist [alleged but with enough evidence to charge]

Can someone please explain to me why soccer has done sweet fanny adams about these allegations?
    Because the police have told the FA to do nothing until the criminal side of things is resolved.

headfirst
    Free Member

Shilton for third choice goalie

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can someone explain to me why flashfart has yet again failed to resist the temptation to post on a soccer thread? 🙄

higgo
    Free Member

Another Man Utd fan who’d take Richards. In fact, if he gets bored at Eastlands I’d have him at United.

I’d also take Crouch over Carroll – both are disruptive (on the pitch) and likely to get bunged on as subs to shake things up a bit, see if they can nick one. Crouch has a proven record of scoring for England, Carroll hasn’t.

binners

Don’t worry Bravisimo. Hora will be along shortly

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hora will be along shortly

At least he’s funny. And he has a beautiful penis.

binners

I thought that too. It’s spectacularly photogenic when paired with cowboy boots too

wrecker
    Free Member

he has a beautiful penis.

Erm, we’re going to need to see evidence of such a claim.

soobalias
    Free Member

i wouldnt have taken either terry or ferdinand on ability. jagielka instead
    also would have ignored lampard, lets see henderson step up

and defoe, maybe sturridge

so generally pretty happy with the squad, will oxlade-chamb even get a game.

no point taking crouch he can only perform against pub sides
    hodgson did well in the press conference
    richards? dont understand his omission but wgaf really.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s spectacularly photogenic when paired with cowboy boots too

…and chaps…

I have the strangest…

mcboo
    Free Member

Is usually a nice buzz about the country before a major tourney, feels very flat at the moment no? I think everyone is just tired of the same old faces, quite a few of them are pretty unpleasant characters you’d cross the road to avoid.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

England always suffer in the big tournaments because everybody raises their games against them.

yossarian
    Free Member

i’d take sturridge ove rdefoe any day

Hodgson is definitely going for a defensive formation with pace out wide. might work actually

binners

England always suffer in the big tournaments because everybody raises their games against them.

From Sunday League to the Evo-Stik League Northern Premier ? 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, y’know, for most of the world, it’s their one BIG GAME. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Darcy called me a name. 🙁 Boohoo, etc. Then again, perhaps it was because I had a genuine question relating to the topic at hand. Ever considered that?

Higgo, thanks for that. Still not sure why/how it can take so long for that to be resolved though. From memory when it all happened, there was a plethora of video evidence etc to be looked at and that was about it, surely.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ever considered that?

No, not when it comes to “soccer” flashy.

Boohoo, etc.

Sorry to upset you hun. *kisses*

nickswolves
    Free Member

Lets face it most fans have got low expectations of the England team so would have been nice to have gone with a more youthful team but Roy’s come in late and looks to have gone with mostly experienced internationals with a couple of additions.

Would rather have seen Carrick than Barry too.

Lets at least be thankful that there’s no place for Heskey! 😀

mcboo
    Free Member

Says who? Why would anyone especially raise their game for England?

higgo
    Free Member

Higgo, thanks for that. Still not sure why/how it can take so long for that to be resolved though. From memory when it all happened, there was a plethora of video evidence etc to be looked at and that was about it, surely.

Agreed it’s dragging on (the Terry case, not Hora’s member) but it’s out of the FA’s hands (again, I mean the Terry case, not Hora’s todger)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*catches*

😉

Well, in this case, was a very genuine question. Seems mad to me that this issue hasn’t been resolved from a reputational point of view. Hardly a good example to hold up. Surely the Police and FA could/should have done more to expedite things.

binners

The FA? And the Metropolitan Police? Yip. That’d be my dream combination for getting a situation quickly and effectively resolved? 😆

Garry_Lager

nickswolves – Member

So Roy’s selected his team, which is as below. What’s your thoughts? Good/bad choices, who would you have taken in replacement of any of these etc?

Goalkeepers – Joe Hart, Robert Green, John Ruddy.

Defenders – Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, John Terry.

Midfielders – Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young.

Strikers – Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck.

Standby – Jack Butland, Phil Jagielka, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, Daniel Sturridge.

Aside from those two shit-awful selections it’s about par from what Roy has available. Good Christ though would you look at that midfield 🙁

Don’t mind picking Carroll tbh, but if you’re going to take a yard dog to throw on in the last 20 then Grant Holt has had a miles more impressive season.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

higgo 😆 you managed to drag hora’s beautiful penis into that one nicely (not literally of course)

O’Flashearty, I have no idea why it hasn’t been resolved yet. I’d have taken Ferdinand over Terry any day – just on personality alone. Terry’s thoroughly unpleasant – but the footballing world forgets stuff like this in a heartbeat.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyway, can we discuss the Republic of Ireland squad in this thread too?

O’Shea looking like an injury doubt 🙁

I’d post some of the other possibilities but most of you wouldn’t even have heard of any of them. 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Ireland play soccer?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ireland play soccer?

Actually…akshilly…

It is called soccer in Ireland too, and “football” has always been Gaelic Football. Rugby is correctly referred to as “Rugby”.

hilldodger
    Free Member

mcboo – Member
    Why would anyone especially raise their game for England?

because for the lesser teams it counts for something apparently…..

their supporters usually start off looking like this

but end up looking like this

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Can’t see where the goals are going to come from other than Rooney. Maybe Gerrard and Lampard will score and I hope he gives A O-C a good run out.

Let’s pray Hart doesn’t get injured!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘England squad for Euro 2012 – discuss’ is closed to new replies.