Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Does anyone else still have a "tube" telly?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I admit we are currently still watching a monstrosity of a Sony, I just can’t bring myself to buy a new telly when the picture on this is still mint and doesn’t distort the minute a football is kicked across the backdrop of the crowd during a match!
    Am I alone, and tight?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Nope, me too. In fact my computer screen is still CRT too

sweepy
    Free Member

Still on a 14″ colour crt here, the only problem is missing whats happening at the sides of the screen

mogrim

Yeah, still works, why change it?

rob
    Free Member

yep still got a massive old panasonic that will not die, only 28″ screen but at least 4 foot deep, pictures ace but it takes up hellva lot of room.

jon1973
    Free Member

Still got a Panasonic 32″ CRT. Will be getting a new TV soon once I’ve decorated the lounge.

flap_jack
    Free Member

32 JVC. I might actually be now too weak to move it

youngrob

I’ve got a 32″ Toshiba CRT. Everything still looks great on it, so sticking with it.

michaelbowden

36″ Panasonic here. Still beats every HD LCD/LED I’ve seen. ONly some of the very expensive plasma’s are better

Nick

Yep, old Sony thing. Watch about 3 hours a week I reckon, this week that was a couple of Masterchef’s and a bit of Pan Am (got bored afer 10 minutes), the week before I watched all of Masterchef and a DVD, which probably meant I managed about 5 1/2 hours, so no reason at all to buy anything newer.

Wouldn’t mind the thing taking up less space really, but that’s as easily solved by chucking it out and not replacing it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I get continuously ripped for my telly by mates of mine! Even my 80 yr old neighbour has an LCD!

yunki
    Free Member

yerp.. ours in’t even widescreen

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If our 32″ Toshiba hadn’t gone Green we’d still have it! If there’s nowt wrong with it, don’t change it.
    The 42″ Panasonic is nice though.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I wish. I had to get rid of ours (which was 10 years old) last christmas when my brother gave us his old (2 year old) digi one cos he fancied a new one. I still say the old tube picture is vastly superier to digital, and the freezing and pixellation does my head in. Wife calls me analogue andy.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

32″ Philips here. Was top of the range when bought originally, and given to me for free (sister moved the the US). Picture still perfect, sound pretty good as well. Got better things to spend £700 on than a new telly.

My parents had the same, and couldn’t give it away when they want to LCD.

Cougar

I had a hefty Sony 4:3, 26″ or 28″ I think. I never went widescreen because I objected paying a premium for a less-tall screen that distorted three quarters of what you watched.

Held off parting with it for years for all the reasons cited here; cracking picture, nothing wrong with it, all the HD TVs I’d seen so far were underwhelming.

Finally pulled the trigger on a 42″ Toshiba panel two years ago, and having got it in place I now wish I’d done it years ago. The difference is night and day.

The old set got donated to a mate, who loves it to bits.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Well I’m definately surprised! I thought I would be in a very tiny minority! I think you do need to spend big to get the same pic quality with LCD/LED etc!

iDave
    Free Member

Yes, huge Panasonic thing, £50 from eBay 4 years ago and great quality picture. See no need to change it.

hh45
    Free Member

Yep, Toshiba 26″ CRT c. 2002. I only have a telly at all because a friend gave it to me (I would have preferred the cash obviously). Hate telly apart from 10 O Clock news and Newsnight. Cash on a new telly is nothing like a priority for me.

MrGreedy

Another luddite here. Might get round to switching once terrestrial HD becomes ubiquitous, but until then standard definition content still looks best on a good CRT.

allthepies
    Free Member

32″ flatscreen panny CRT here. Must be 10 years old and still going. Why contribute to landfill when it’d still doing the biz.

Weighs a tonne however and takes up some space 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

Yup, a 10 year old panasonic no.

Its spent the last 18 months in a box as I’ve stopped watching it 2 years ago…

tonyg2003

Just got rid of our CRT last month for a LED TV. The old CRT was great until the red started to go a bit. I gave it away on freecycle but I would have kept it if it hadnt had a problem. Great picture quality.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I thought it was just me – 28″ Sony Trinitron 4:3. Cost £70 second-hand about 15 years ago. Maybe it’s my age or background but I just find it hard to buy new stuff when the old stuff aint broke. I think I’m just tight.

pennine
    Free Member

Main viewing is a Nokia 24″ which we got when my wife’s grandfather died. Nowt wrong with it so never thought to change.

andytherocketeer

Bedroom telly is still my old CRT from uni. Works, so why change it? Mono too. 20 years old this year, and outlasted both the Tosh 28inch and Philips 32inch CRT main living room TVs. Both by at least a factor of 3.

Wonder if my Panny Viera LCD will still be going after 20yrs?

matt_outandabout

2x gert big old Sony’s here, both being thrown away by previous owners…

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes last one just popped and was given the same model but even bigger ( 😀 ) by friends who have just a got a flat screen, we have never bought a television in 15 years of living together, don’t see the point in replacing household stuff unless it’s broken/worn out, however my moral compass seems to get skuwwed on this issue when it come to bikes 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yep, 26″ Panasonic flat screen thing.

It does pictures and sound and I don’t think I could fit a bike into the space it takes up.

aracer
    Free Member

Yep – 14yo 4:3 Sony here. No idea how big – reasonable, but not huge.

wrightyson
    Free Member

After reading the responses to this thread I feel very guilty for throwing the mrs’ telly away the other week that she had when she was a kid!! 🙄

duntstick
    Free Member

32 inch Panasonic CRT in the corner, so not taking up any more space than a flat screen. Good pic quality

No lag when things move across the screen…….

Bike stuff is not cheap

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Any body want a 32″ Panasonic crt? Got one sitting in the corner since changing to lcd. Seems a shame to chuck it out, still a damn good telly 🙁

Wil need collecting though as it’s damn big & heavy!!

chiefgrooveguru

Yes. Have they fixed the motion blur on LCDs yet?

duntstick
    Free Member

Probably same as mine, only telly I’ve ever really struggled to lift alone.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I don’t know how anyone can claim an old CRT is a patch on a modern LCD, have you never watched football in HD on a decent one?

jon1973
    Free Member

Any body want a 32″ Panasonic crt? Got one sitting in the corner since changing to lcd. Seems a shame to chuck it out, still a damn good telly

I am going to be in the same position, you do struggle to give them away now. John Lewis charge £9 to take it away which seems to be the cheapest option for me. The size of the thing makes them difficult for anyone to collect.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

If either if them are anywhere near Glasgow I’d be happy to take them for our youth club 😀

flow
    Free Member

We still have a 28″ Sony that I bought about 5 years ago. This thing is indestructible. It has broken loads of times then fixed itself!

jon1973
    Free Member

If either if them are anywhere near Glasgow I’d be happy to take them for our youth club

Sorry, Farnborough in Hampshire.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else still have a "tube" telly?’ is closed to new replies.